It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fight Club Pub.

page: 459
<< 456  457  458    460  461  462 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

Good one, ill get back to you with my second reply

(insert evil laugh here)

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I have a question and the answer that I thought would be helpful for many.

When counting external text lines:

It is 10 total per post, yes?

What is the best way to count the lines before previewing the post in the FCP? i.e., the formatting is different in the posting box so you cannot count the lines there.

I have not figured out if the lines, when posted, match formatting in Word which is what I think we all compose in. Does anyone know the answer to this?

Thanks!

@ OL (wave) BIG CONGRATS ON YOUR WIN!!!!! I just realized it.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWayISeeIt

I've always interpreted that rule as meaning "10 sentences".

God help me if I'm wrong about that, I've got enough reference issues already

[edit on 2/17/09 by americandingbat]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   

You're allowed to use up to ten sentences of external source material in your debates, not ten literal lines of text.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
[snip]

I got beat to it....twice!

[edit on 17-2-2009 by nyk537]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
Well, it's been 24 hours since my opening and wormwood13 is nowhere to be found. He still hasn't logged into ATS since the 11th.

I suggest we go ahead and get a replacement now.

I talked to him yesterday...yup, I know him in real life and he happens to be a good friend. Point of fact, he only signed on for the debates because I wouldn't stop talking about them. He thought I said the 17th which is where part of the confusion lies and his wife also gave birth to a son, nyk, at about the same time yours did...

I get to meet the little guy this weekend...

Anyhoo, he's still up for it and told me that he would probably take his 24 hour extension for the opening. I figured he would post it...

We should consider that he has since he technically told me over the phone that he would.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Well how about that? Works for me MS.

I feel bad now though....I hate to beat up on friends of friends.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ian McLean
How about creating a thread in General Conspiracy, listing all the ongoing debates, their topics, and encouraging public discussion?

I kind of like this idea. Definitely something to consider...

Edit to Add: Just read ADB's thoughts on this and agree...but I see Ian's point as well. The interent is a large place and a Fighter can find ideas anywhere. Perhaps we shouldn't enable easier access...

Something to ponder. I like the idea of broadening the Debate Forum but would dislike an unintended result of an indirect ATS collaboration during fights...hhhmmm...dilemma's.

[edit on 17-2-2009 by MemoryShock]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
I feel bad now though....I hate to beat up on friends of friends.

If he does get beat, he'll deserve it for all of the unpaid for Sodas throughout the years...

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
You know how the chess grand masters take on multiple opponents at the same time?

We ought to do an exhibition match; where the winner of the debate tournament takes on multiple opponents simultaneously in a shorter yet more intense version of the debate (1 opening, 1 middle, 1 closing).

What say you my pugnacious brethren?

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Test post to determine the actual proper width of images...

it's exactly 600 pixels wide, fyi...

[edit on Feb 17th 2009 by Ian McLean]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   

thanks TWISI honey

i got a little question – hi memory
– to the pub:

i am applying for new job and the employment center wants me to take courses in business english because they usually consider that somebody never did anything with a second language since high school.
i studied english at university, which i am able to prove and i guess what counts even more is my activitiy in the debate forum.

if it would be a debating club or literature club i would mention it in my CV.
but on the other hand why not mention the debates i did here.
i could apply for a greater variety of jobs.

how would you handle it? would you mention it? how would you mention it?

i just need your advices.

thanks

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
@ Maria and Ding (and Nyk for the trying) - Thank you, I take everything very literally when it comes to Rules so if it said 'lines' I take it to mean 'lines'... (which is kinda silly now that I think about it...)

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer
You know how the chess grand masters take on multiple opponents at the same time?

We ought to do an exhibition match; where the winner of the debate tournament takes on multiple opponents simultaneously in a shorter yet more intense version of the debate (1 opening, 1 middle, 1 closing).

I think this is a great idea...

The smack talk such an event could inspire...

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
edit:

Nevermind.

[edit on 17-2-2009 by Doomsday 2029]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
It's ten SENTENCES? Oh Cool! Thanks for asking this question, all this time I've been counting lines in preview posts and wondering if I could get away with counting half a line here and half a line there as just one line....

Since no editing is allowed for debate posts, what's the harm in talking about posts which have already been posted? Makes the rules really simple to understand .. talk about existing posts all you want, but no references to the future and no strategic suggestions.

I know it would be a pain in the petoot for someone, but is it possible to have a thread in which all of the posts have to be reviewed like Anonymous ATS posts are reviewed before they show up? That way the mods would be able to *snip* anything that could be a problem before anyone else could see it.

Of course I'd LOVE to see people commenting on my posts, but actually there have been many times that I would have commented on someone's turn of phrase, witty rhetoric, or dragging an entire debate down a slippery slope, but felt that I couldn't or shouldn't.

Perhaps that's another question to ask. Is it okay to post stuff like "Hey, soandso, that was a great point," or "that pun of yours really had me laughing" or "Wow, that was a direction I didn't expect to see this debate go .." ?

I remember someone commenting on a phrase of mine and posting it here in the FCP, but as you see it didn't help me none .. I still lost that one.

And hey TWISI, get your big girl panties unwadded over there. YOU were the one I was going to try to offer a bit of help to until they said I shouldn't and your topic got changed. so
there.

Anyway, that's a phrase that I've been introduced to by the cowgirls, and they use it a lot.

"I can't ride Saturday, my ankle is broken."
"Pfft. Lace up your boots, put on your big girl panties, and show up. We aren't racing so you won't have to stand in the stirrups much."

"I have to miss the meeting, my truck is broke down."
"Put on your big girl panties and ride your horse over - it's only 20 miles."

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock

The smack talk such an event could inspire...

Speaking of which, how about a podcast 3-way debate on your road trip?

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer

What say you my pugnacious brethren?

I like it. Kind of a 20/20 style cricket tournament. Limited posting, limited timescale. Might be more appealing to other people?

And of course, the traditional format is the test match, over a number of days

Could be a plan

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
I like it. Kind of a 20/20 style cricket tournament.

As if debates aren't exciting enough already.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Seems like Ian Mr. Clean may not be content with the debate champion ribbon, he wants to take the My Sweetie title away from Shock, too.

Looky here.

new topics

top topics

<< 456  457  458    460  461  462 >>

join