It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fight Club Pub.

page: 458
<< 455  456  457    459  460  461 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   
I have not been here for the past few days and this place has changed completely! What is going on?

Has the tournament started?

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
So far the debates look great. Some interesting directions for a couple.

I just want to say that 16 debates is A LOT to read.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Well, I'm a little worried about my tournament opponent.

He hasn't even been on ATS since Feb. 11 when he asked to sign up for the tournament.

I don't think he's gonna show.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

Ooh, that doesn't sound good

I hope he's okay and just needed a break from the craziness here.

At least there's people in reserve - I guess one of them could be asked to fill in

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by americandingbat
At least there's people in reserve - I guess one of them could be asked to fill in

I suppose so.

Although I can't imagine anyone being crazy enough to do that!

(only kidding)

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
This shakespeare debate is gonna test me to the max... it turns out there isnt actually that much evidence that Shakespeare was one person!

Anyhoo... will argue and stand my ground, lets see what happens.

Things are looking interesting in all the other debates as well.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I am so honored to be doing this with you 44ss, I really like your style. And that is the strangest thing about WS is that there is very little info for either side about him, this is a promising match!

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Well, it's been 24 hours since my opening and wormwood13 is nowhere to be found. He still hasn't logged into ATS since the 11th.

I suggest we go ahead and get a replacement now.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I've just perused all of the Round 1 debate threads and I'm appalled to see that they have, on average, 7 - 10 flags. We have at least 32 active Fighters in the house, so why doesn't every Round 1 thread have closer to 32 flags? If we don't support ourselves and each other, who will?

And, although we all know that debates aren't judged on stars any more, it can be rather discouraging to note that Shock or Semper's post setting up the debate has more stars than your opening statement. Surely every opening post which someone did research for and took the time and trouble to write is worth a few stars.

Although I haven't been here that long, I've heard that historically the Debate Forum has "dropout" problems. I say let's try and hang on to this crop of new Fighters by encouraging and supporting them. Stars and Flags don't cost a thing and take only a little time, but they really can make a difference to how people feel about their participation in the forum, the FCP, and the debates.

Your unofficial FCP cheerleader

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Heike

I think a lot of fighters do star and flag the debates they like. They just don't star and flag every debate.

I also believe the dropout rate of fighters has more to do with the fact that debating at ATS is extremely time consuming and mentally exhausting, and it just isn't for everyone.

Your points are valid and well received though.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Heike

Nothing wrong with a little self-promotion.
An idea for discussion here at the Pub:

How about creating a thread in General Conspiracy, listing all the ongoing debates, their topics, and encouraging public discussion?

I know we generally 'frown' on making debating a 'team-effort', but that wouldn't be the point - the point would be to allow the general membership to cheer, boo, discuss, and ask questions. Would it be unreasonable to expect that such requests as "don't post a list of your favorite 20 research links for a subject" be honored?

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Well, wuk and I are flying through this one.

My reply is now up.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

The only problem would be that fighters would be able to see ongoing discussion about the debates they were currently in. They could unknowingly give tips or helpful information without realizing it.

Perhaps if the thread only contained completed debates?

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Hello, everyone!

Don't mind me, just doing a quick check on my debate post.

[edit on 2/17/2009 by maria_stardust]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

Well, so what? Would that really be much of a problem?

After all, for just about every topic here, there's already existing threads, somewhere in the ATS archives. There's nothing stopping one from reading member comments there, or even bumping the thread and encouraging new discussion.

Is that 'dirty pool'? If so, why?

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by maria_stardust

Oops.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   

I love the idea of being more visible and open to the rest of ATS. But I'm not sure it would work.

I think most people would respect whatever guidelines there were about not posting research or strategies, but there are always those few ...

it's not so much that information might be posted, as that strategy might be suggested. An argument that the debater wouldn't have come up with on their own. Like if SDog's brilliant genetic-cause argument had been suggested by someone else, it wouldn't feel right.

[edit on 2/17/09 by americandingbat]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   

I see your point on that.

My reasoning was based on previous discussion of this very thing though. Those have always been the reasons we tried to avoid active discussion of ongoing debates.

I can see it from both sides.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by maria_stardust
The topic of this debate is “Eminent Domain Is A Necessary And Positive Government Policy.”

Maria has utilized 'eminent domain' to claim FCP territory for her own purposes.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Indeed, I have.

MUAAHH HA HA HA!!!!

I can be evil when I want.

top topics

<< 455  456  457    459  460  461 >>

join