It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fight Club Pub.

page: 455
<< 452  453  454    456  457  458 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

By the way, cool avatar...

Does it mean anything or is it just a cool design?

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

It's the eye of the Crimson King.

A logo worn by the "low men in yellow coats" from the Stephen King short story of the same name.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

Just some behind the scenes info for all our newer fighters. In the debate tournaments topics and positions are assigned completely randomly. That is to say that once the topics are decided, who gets what topic is the luck of the draw, and pro/con positions are decided via a coin flip.

This ensures moderator impartiality and puts all fighters on equal footing so to speak. Thus sometimes we get topics and sides we agree with and sometimes we don't. But Shock and Semper do not go around analyzing posting histories in order to match up fighters to topics and sides.

Oh good, now I don't have to just hate-on Semperfortis -- I can hate-on ALL OF THEM for coming up with such a lame, inane old skool, tired-horse-that-has-been-already-been-rendered-glue poorly worded topic.

*gnashes teeth in hopes that it will stop even more invective from spewing forth*

*snatches a bottle of bourbon and stomps off into a corner while cussing under breath*

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWayISeeIt

Yeah, TWISI's back!

Where have you been young lady?

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   

At least your topic is easy to win. Look at mine.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Why, that topic's no problem at all. Just compose your replies on a Mac.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Walks in and shakesbeer. Just trying to take a break and decide on one or two shots of tequila.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Everyone else is doing it.

Alright, time to get rid of this thing

[edit on 2/16/09 by enjoies05]

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Okie-dokie, that test post went well.

...and the debate is up and running!

[edit on 2/16/2009 by maria_stardust]

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I always thought getting a topic that I either hated or thought could go nowhere was the best challenge.

What good does it do you to debate something you agree with or support?

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Reading a very good book and missing you...

Reply to Skyfloating

The topic for this debate is "The Fairy Tales of your youth are actually recounts of when magic was alive."

As oblique as that is I would gladly trade as I anticipate conceding after eloquently articulating why my topic is not worth debating in my opening.

After that I am going to begin to puzzle something out and then search for a challenge match...

*reutrns to drinking and muttering profanities*

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Here TWISI, have an apple sour - they're bitter, but still kind of sweet.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Aww come on, you can do it. That's the nature of the tournaments.

Topics like that can help quite a bit in developing new debating techniques and strategies.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Hey Forum Mods...why not give the TWISI lady a new topic. Its no big deal really. Just a little edit and a random new one. Nobody would have a problem with it.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
evening guys

got a problem with my monitor
it is broken, new one orderd, not delivered when it should (saturday lunch time), still no new monitor, borrowed the one of my son.

debate topic: interesting!

and thanks to semper and memory for all the good work backstage

reply to post by Ian McLean

when i think of being a fighter i watch myself as a very good lawyer who is defending the case of her client no matter what her personal beliefes are.

@nyk hope your daughter is alright!

reply to post by whatukno

Yea let's see, I wonder who the judges would vote for?

the debating skills whatuknow only the debating skills

but it would be for sure very interesting

i just need a pretty good adrenalin drink

i am more than thrilled

hi twisi
i have missed you

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Nature of the beast TWISI. Sometime you start out behind the 8 ball. Put some thought into it, I'm sure you can do it. At least you're not debating for more gun control on a site that's 60% American.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Is it permissible for fighters to give each other ideas?

For example, if someone had to debate "nessie is real" and I had a theory about Nessie and where she lives when she's not scaring tourists, would it be acceptable to share my theory with the fighter?

@ Skyfloating: Remember how you felt after the Wikipedia debate judgment? Well, I get it now. Really. And it's especially frustrating because you can't talk about it because all of your fighter friends are your opponent's friends too, plus you never know if the person you choose to gripe to might have been one of your judges.

TWISI, put on your big girl panties and deal. A lot of us don't like our topics. Having to cope with a random topic and position is what a tournament is all about. How much skill does it take to argue something you know about and agree with?

[edit on 16-2-2009 by Heike]

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Heike

I don't think it's a good idea. What you want is to learn from the debates. When I got here I went 0-3. Since then 6-0. I'd say let the members learn on their own. Winning is good but learning HOW to debate is better.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Not for sure if you're referencing my debate or not, but it sure sounds like it.

I've had some pretty rough topics in tournaments in my time here, but like I said, those are the ones that build your skills.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537

Not for sure if you're referencing my debate or not, but it sure sounds like it.

Actually it was this one. Take about being behind the 8 ball. It was a learning process though.

new topics

top topics

<< 452  453  454    456  457  458 >>

join