It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fight Club Pub.

page: 453
<< 450  451  452    454  455  456 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

LOL
Hasn't ended yet, we just broke out the Vodka.... lol.

- Carrot

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Now that's committing to your topic+side, antar. Nice mustache!

Note to new fighters: There's a lot to be said for the 'Method School' of debating. Pretty much every topic here has, somewhere in the world, a large number of people who really believe in either side of the argument. To consider: as Fighters, it's our job to represent them, in a way they would be happy with.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Agreed, the best part about the debate forum is that it gives one a unique opportunity to step outside ourselves from time to time and look at topics in a fresh new way.

I suppose it really does not matter which side you start out with, but like a good model strutting her style on the catwalk, if she does not believe that the pea green polyester granny style jumpsuit is not the bomb, she will render it unsalable.

And as for the flip of the coin, I also won a free ticket on a lottery ticket today too!

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ian McLean
reply to post by antar

Now that's committing to your topic+side, antar. Nice mustache!

Note to new fighters: There's a lot to be said for the 'Method School' of debating. Pretty much every topic here has, somewhere in the world, a large number of people who really believe in either side of the argument. To consider: as Fighters, it's our job to represent them, in a way they would be happy with.

I have to say that is one of the most self empowering comments anyone could have shared with me, I get it. Now I will go get some shut eye and contemplate this tall order.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by CA_Orot
LOL
Hasn't ended yet, we just broke out the Vodka.... lol.

This can't turn out well...

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Phrasing is more powerful than position in my humble opinion. For instance: Arguing the con side of "India will soon be an economic and military super-power". Some would lament being up against the reputation of one of the most rapidly strengthening nations in the world. I was delighted to see a controversial word to attack- namely "super-power".

That's right, I intentionally directed a debate with memoryshock towards the dictionary. I am fearless... quite possibly to a dangerous fault.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by The Vagabond

Now see, that's where I think we philosophically disagree. Maybe, when addressing the broader public, the technique of 'attacking words' works - it certainly can tie up your opponent and give the impression of 'scoring points'. I guess that 'wins', sometimes.

But it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Most of these debate topics, really, are quite easy to understand. There's some subtlety of exploration involved, of course, but I feel that should be something that is presented as information for consideration - a learning experience for everyone, if you will - rather than as the basis for advantage.

In fact, I actually (in my personal reading of debates) discount points when I see too much 'rhetorical trickery'. It reminds me of used-car salesmen, or worse: small-time politicians.

I wonder if the age of 'wide-access' Internet and 24-hour news, argued vehemently from any point the viewer chooses to watch, is making the public more savvy to the 'spin' that can be put on interpretation of topic, and more aware to the distance between that and truth. I hope so: not to tout some kind of 'objective truth' as the ideal, but rather to make clear that the contentious illusion of winning is not and should not be the ultimate purpose of discussion, or debate. It's a personal thing, after all.

PS: And yes, I am aware of the hypocrisy of my critique, especially in regard to my own debate approach: enthusing belief. We all saw the last election, and some of us saw the shallow ends that can be spun to, and hopefully retained appropriate perspective.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by The Vagabond

I absolutely agree with this. It's important to pay close attention to the phrasing, especially if you're not that happy with the side you seem to have been given. I've been able to find enough wiggle room in all my debates topics to find that spot where Ian suggests standing. And I've only actually agreed with one of my four assigned positions (and my current position, naturally
).

Heck, if I can argue that breast augmentation is necessary for female empowerment, anyone can argue for anything

edit to address Ian's post:

I don't think going after the phrasing is necessarily rhetorical sleight-of-hand. It can be, of course. But I think accepting the topic on face value prevents alternative positions from being explored sometimes.

[edit on 2/16/09 by americandingbat]

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by americandingbat
I don't think going after the phrasing is necessarily rhetorical sleight-of-hand.

A good point; I guess I'm warming up for my opening statement.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

And I may be feeling a little defensive about strategy

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock

This can't turn out well...

LOL Oh it's an experience thats for sure. We're having a blast here...

(I hope we don't post pictures or the videos).

- Carrot

(PS. Happy Belated Valenties Day)

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Just a quickie - is there a time limit on when I have to have my opening post up by?

Never having participated in one of these tournaments before, I plead with you all to be gentle with me

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by neformore

The first person is supposed to post within 24 hours of the thread being opened.

I have a question too

What's the proper way to use a reference that's in pdf format?

Do you just link to the page where the pdf is available? And if you're using multiple pdf's from the same place, do they count as one reference the same way multiple pages from one domain do?

Specifically, I'm thinking about using some stuff from here and I've got to figure out how I'll be able to work within the reference limits.

And another question: does the Constitution and amendments count toward my external references quota? Both in terms of links and in terms of sentences?

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   
great subjects and some great match ups.

Looking forwards to this - and good luck to all!

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Happy Monday everyone.

I'm back in full swing again (again) after a long weekend. As I told Ian Friday, we had to take my daughter to the doctor Friday afternoon and she wasn't feeling well all weekend. She's better now though and I'm ready to get going.

I'll be getting my reply in my challenge match, as well as my opening post for the tournament up shorty.

Looks like some great match-ups and topics.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

What's the proper way to use a reference that's in pdf format?

I've always linked directly to the PDF itself. If you are using the PDF as a reference, then make it easier for the readers to connect directly to the document. In cases where the PDF is long, I sometimes include the page number where the information being referenced can be found. (But that's just me, so don't take it as written in stone.)

Also, you can link up to three times to the same source in the same post, and still have it count as only one reference. Linky #4 will count as a second reference.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Good morning everyone, *Yawn, stretch* I'm off to the renaissance period, so catch you later, have a great day.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

Ian, would you prefer for me to be completely bald faced? You better like my mustache, it is distinguished you know... And makes me feel slightly devilish

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Alright, I've got a post up in both of my debates this morning.

I'm doing good and feelin' alright.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Wow... I have to say that The Vagabond, MemoryShock, semperfortis, chissler and kinglizard have ALL out done themselves this time.

I also want to thank the outstanding Members (too numerous to mention!
) who have signed up for this, our BIGGEST debate tournament yet.

This debate forum, IMHO, is one of the BEST attributes of our little corner of the web and our community. I have always thought the debate forum is the living, breathing proof that ANY topic can be discussed with the utmost civility, decorum and denial of ignorance.

I wish ALL the contestants luck, good scholarship and offer my admiration for your willingness to show us all how it's done.

FOR THOSE ABOUT TO DEBATE... WE SALUTE YOU!

Springer...

new topics

top topics

<< 450  451  452    454  455  456 >>

join