It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fight Club Pub.

page: 386
<< 383  384  385    387  388  389 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Okay...some light hearted topics and some some potentially serious ones that are still very vague in nature (the bottom ten).

What a trip down memory lane...

1.) In a fight using no advanced technology weapons, who would win, a genius astronaut or a strong caveman.

2.) Icee vs. Slurpee

3.) Ben & Jerry's vs. Blue Bell

4.) Cowboy vs. Pirate - Who would win?
Courtesy of thelibra

1. The construction workers on the second Death Star knew they worked for an evil organization, thus they were not innocent parties and their deaths were excusable from the perspective of the Rebellion.

2. Emperor Palpatine let Mace Windu beat him in order to play the ruse on Anakin.

3. Luke was a stronger Jedi than Darth Vader.

4. The Dark Side of the Force is more effective in combat situations.

5. Jar Jar Binx played an important role in the events of the Clone Wars and ultimately the balancing of the Force.

6. Ewoks are a force to be reckoned with, and if they had ever achieved space travel, they would have whooped *** all over the galaxy.

7. The greatest one line actor in all the Star Wars films was the guy who said, "You rebel scum."

8. Emperor Palpatine had a "thing" for Anakin, and later Luke.

9. Han Solo looked better as a wall ornament.

10. Anakin could make more than two facial expressions.

11. Wookies evolved from semi-intelligent, bipedal floor rugs.
Courtesy of wecomeinpeace

1.) The sun rises in the morning.
2.) The Final Solution would have worked.
3.) Racial Stereotypes are a valuble tool for the employer.
4.) Voting is for losers.
5.) Martial law is a great way of life.
6.) Red is Orange, or sometimes Green.
7.) We are the World. We are the People.
8.) Electricity is microscopic little elves running along wires.
9.) The Earth is Flat.
10.) Who needs whales?
Courtesy of howmuchisthedoggy

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Oh...and a note...these topics are for anyone should they be interested. i also found quite a few 'serious' topics that could be used for the next tournament, though I didn't post those...

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
They mention Star Wars, he noticed to himself.

Hmmm.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Heike

Actually, the chicken or egg question could be quite an intense and serious debate. From a religious point of view, God created the chicken, and at some point after its creation, it laid the first egg. Thus, the chicken came first. From a scientific (evolutionary) standpoint, however, the bird which laid the first chicken egg (an egg that hatched a chicken) was not quite, precisely, 100% a chicken. Therefore, the egg came first.

That's very good!

I'm sure there's lot's of ways to argue this. I've been thinking a little about this today, and it's probably feasable to go at it from the angle that the chicken came first too ...

Maybe it would be a good topic after all.

Somehow the 'squarepants' idea scares the heck out of me.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

From the first set

2.) Icee vs. Slurpee
3.) Ben & Jerry's vs. Blue Bell
4.) Cowboy vs. Pirate - Who would win?
--Courtesy of thelibra

These are great !

Star wars is out. I saw the movies but not more than once or twice ... a long time ago !

And these ones from the bottom are very good to

3.) Racial Stereotypes are a valuble tool for the employer.
4.) Voting is for losers.
5.) Martial law is a great way of life.
8.) Electricity is microscopic little elves running along wires.

This one seems like a genius-level topic ( definately not me ! )

Already suggested, but ruled out

9.) The Earth is Flat.

This is all great MS. Thank you very, much. I'm sure we can work something out with all these ideas !

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Here's some for ya Villain:

Mental illness is caused by children's television programming.

Birds are just little velociraptors with feathers.

Now that we have computers and the internet, we don't really need (paper) books any more.

Technology is making our kids dumber. (Ex: kids can't "tell time" because of digital clocks, or tie their shoes because of velcro)

The internet is better than alcohol for helping ugly people have friends.

Film cameras are obsolete and will soon be "extinct."

People shouldn't be allowed to talk on the phone while driving, even "hands-free."

Cartoons make children more violent.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by visible_villain
This one seems like a genius-level topic ( definately not me ! )

It's workable in my opinion. The pro could argue color perception through different atmospheres (different planets) and would need to provide a technically viable supposition on the atmospheric densities, chemical ratios (the many combinations are staggering...
) and as well could make a case individual for perception/interpretation (green is still the same color to someone who is not a native English speaker but it is technically called something else..
).

Or...one could argue the phenomenon of 'Color Blindness'...in dogs and humans.

Sounds like a lot of work though...

I'll stop presenting myself as a show off now...

And you are more than welcome...

[edit on 3-2-2009 by MemoryShock]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Heike

Thank you for all the ideas, Hieki

Birds are just little velociraptors with feathers.

This one might be light enough, but, whenever I see the term velociraptor, I always remember that unforgettable scene in the first Jurassic Park where the great big software-weenie got 'velociraptored' in his car. The way those things would spit poison in yer eyes ! Very rude !!!

Hungry, young velociraptors
OMG ! Ok, too 'dark' ...

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   

The pro could argue color perception through different atmospheres (different planets)

Hang on !!!

Isn't it assumed these debates take for granted 'natural laws' on planet Earth ? For a given debate, I mean ...

Wouldn't something like 'normal Earthling physics need not apply' have to be spelled out in the 'preamble,' you know, where the time limits and all the other rules are layed out by the moderator up at the top ?

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock

and as well could make a case individual for perception/interpretation (green is still the same color to someone who is not a native English speaker but it is technically called something else..
).

Not to mention that different cultures divide the spectrum differently than we do.

Furthermore, the areas of agreement on color terms and focal colors were limited to red, yellow, green and white. Beyond this commonality, the Spanish speakers named three additional categories -- blue, brown, and purple -- for which they selected best examples. These categories and best examples were not selected by the Mayan speakers. Even more significant is the fact that the intercultural areas of agreement are more apparent than real.

Source

It's a topic that's fascinated me since i was a kid

[edit on 2/3/09 by americandingbat]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   

It's workable in my opinion. The pro could argue color perception through different atmospheres (different planets) and would need to provide a technically viable supposition on the atmospheric densities, chemical ratios (the many combinations are staggering...
) and as well could make a case individual for perception/interpretation (green is still the same color to someone who is not a native English speaker but it is technically called something else..
).

Is that the title?

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

That's almost as long as the title we had on human clinical trials debate! I really think MemoryShock's middle name is Verbose.

[edit on 2/3/2009 by maria_stardust]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by visible_villain
Isn't it assumed these debates take for granted 'natural laws' on planet Earth ? For a given debate, I mean ...

Wouldn't something like 'normal Earthling physics need not apply' have to be spelled out in the 'preamble,' you know, where the time limits and all the other rules are layed out by the moderator up at the top ?

Within the rhetorical confines of the debate topic...anything is game. With the example given...one would have to be really convincing to assume physical properties of an alien environment (since humans have never actually experienced it) but I think it could be done. As well, ADB brings up a good point about the classification system of other cultures...

The only restrictions are that of the debate topic...but you'll find that there are many ways to interpret a simple statement...

Schro Dog: I think I died laughing...

Ian won't let me live that down...

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by maria_stardust
I really think MemoryShock's middle name is Verbose.

Close!

It's Eric...

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
[edit on 3 Feb 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   

... anything is game. With the example given...one would have to be really convincing ...

I see ... verrrrry interesting !

I like it !

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Almost everyone here tries to suppress MemoryShock lest he gets too powerful and destroys everyone. I've been monitoring all your behaviour and taking notes since the beginning.

You can't escape.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cadbury
Almost everyone here tries to suppress MemoryShock lest he gets too powerful and destroys everyone.

That is quite possibly one of the best compliments I have ever received; if I may indeed interpret it as such...

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

[edit on 3 Feb 2009 by schrodingers dog]

That's true. But I won't let peacejet know you said so.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   

That is quite possibly one of the best compliments I have ever received; if I may indeed interpret it as such...

You most certainly may, as it was intended as such. But don't tell me you haven't noticed them all at work? They'll all pile in on you as if it were fashionable because they all know you'll smash all their faces in if they let you get too strong.

I've written notes about it.

top topics

<< 383  384  385    387  388  389 >>

join