It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fight Club Pub.

page: 355
<< 352  353  354    356  357  358 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

No worries. I was accused once of 'using site exploits' due to post length's exceeding 10K characters.

We'll exploit our way to the top. Yes, that's what we'll do.

OL, I have to go add wax into my mustache if I'm to pull off this villain role.

Take care. Off to work on the house.

[edit on 1/30/2009 by AshleyD]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
So how come the pub's so slow these days? It's very strange and silent

BTW, anyone who hasn't yet signed up for the upcoming Tournament and would like to play along should probably head on over to the signup thread ASAP to reserve a spot.

I know some people who've expressed interest will change their minds, but by my count we have 25 people already signed up, with 18 of them ranked Fighters

(and that doesn't count AshleyD who seems to be making up her mind, or GAOTU and semper who posted in the thread but didn't say they wanted to join … )

[edit on 1/30/09 by americandingbat]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

I hadn't done a tally yet...I'll go over and start the list by rank and priority and such.

We may not have room for newcomers...

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I'll u2u you the list I made, with rankings, to check against what you generate.

But yeah, it's filling up fast. And at least some of the newcomers who expressed interest are serious candidates – I'm guessing nefermore wouldn't forfeit, for instance.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
can somebody please explain to me how it works with tourmament?
how the pairs are choosen etc?

and i have to admit i still don.t understand that ranking system and when a fighter is ranked

hi dingbat hi memory

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
It's Friday, let's get this party started! I'm serving Cosmopolitans for starters. Anyone care to join?

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by maria_stardust

cheers maria

pretty lonely for a friday night

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Cool...I am now in the process of assigning the order...u2u whenever...

orange: The pairings are based on the ranking points which means that the higher ranked Fighters will be paired with the lower ranked players to begin. Much like the professional American sports leagues do it to insure a hemdinger of a final...though I think we are going to see many "Final Worthy" fights in the earlier stages this time around.

I am also considering implementing something that The Vagabond did earlier and that is start a "newbie" tournament for the lower ranked Fighters so that they have an oppurtunity to gain experience etc...

I am actually impressed with the very quick sign up list as it was posted only a couple of days ago. I remember the days when the Debate Mods had to actively recruit Fighters for a debate!!

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Should be in your inbox. I just counted people's place in the list in TheVagabond's rankings thread, without paying any attention to specifics. I may have miscounted slightly (dropped one or two of the unbolded names) but the order should definitely be right.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   

thanks mem

i don.t have any knowledge about professional american sports
actually i thought that equal ranked fighters would fight the first round together

ok now i am looking forward.
and one day i might understand everything

it was pretty quick the signing up, as if all have been waiting for it!

you really had to run around - virtually - and recruite fighters for a tournament? unbelivable!

edit:
if high ranked fighters and low ranked fighters are paired isn.t it likely that - due to the lack of experiences - the low ranked lose the first round?

edit:
what do the bolded names in the vagabond.s ranking list mean?

[edit on 30-1-2009 by orange-light]

[edit on 30-1-2009 by orange-light]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by orange-light

They do the same thing with tennis tournaments too, I think – that might be more familiar.

Basically, it's to try to make sure that the best players don't wipe each other out in the first rounds.

edit: and yes. On the other hand, I believe Ian was a "low-ranked" fighter in the last go-round

[edit on 1/30/09 by americandingbat]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Mornin all!

Hey Shock, why don't you bump up the enrollment to 32.

That way it goes 32,16,8,4,2.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   

yep i understand

ok ian got his chance

but he is special

what do the bolded names mean?

hi s-dog!

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by orange-light
edit:
if high ranked fighters and low ranked fighters are paired isn.t it likely that - due to the lack of experiences - the low ranked lose the first round?

americandingbat answered this one...

And the bolded names in The Vagabond's ranking thread list indicate "Active Fighters", if I am not mistaken.

Could we get clarification on that, Vagabond?

Schro Dog: Definitely a consideration but if that occurs the tournament may never end and we would bleed into the next one...it is possible.

Though what an epic process it would be.

I think for now we'll keep it as is as I really don't think that any more ranked Fighters will join and thusly bump other ranked Fighters and as well the new unranked's will likely shuffle with others as not all of them will understand the required dedication.

Edit to Add: Also, the current format is designed to keep the first rounds at a managable pace (where the top eight get a bye).

16 debates in the first round is a huge undertaking for the judges and would take forever to get through...

[edit on 30-1-2009 by MemoryShock]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
... the tournament may never end and we would bleed into the next one...it is possible.

Then the illusion is complete!

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
When I first created the ranking system, I ranked every fighter that had participated in the previous year or two before then, so a lot of the people on the list were inactive. I bolded the names of active fighters so the ghosts wouldn't make the field seem intimidating to new members.

I think it's about time to purge some of the really old inactives though (they're welcome to come back and be ranked for their old matches, but no point having them take up space if they aren't here now).

So this weekend I will go through the forum making sure that everybody's record has been kept up to date (and I MAY also compile statistics for the old H2H matches, although I doubt they will end up being applied to ranks here) and while I'm at it the bold will probably go away, along with anyone on the list who hasn't been in a debate in the last 1 or 2 years.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Challenge Match: The Vagabond vs Skyfloating: 'Handy'pedia or 'Handi'pedia?

New Debate up...Sides were decided by coin toss...

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Wow, what a fantastic topic.

Good luck to both fighters.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Oh yea! The big dogs are gonna rumble!

Bit of a stretch on the obligatory title-pun, though, wouldn't you say?

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ian McLean
Bit of a stretch on the obligatory title-pun, though, wouldn't you say?

Definitely a stretch...

I still like it despite the fact that it doesn't flow very well...

And perhaps not everyone will equate "Handi" with "Handicapp"...but eh...

new topics

top topics

<< 352  353  354    356  357  358 >>

join