It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fight Club Pub.

page: 350
<< 347  348  349    351  352  353 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Yep, it's a different world in the big city. The teller at my bank knows me well enough that the presentation of my DL is a formality to satisfy the rules, and the gas station turns the pump on for me as soon as I pull up. I guess there are advantages to the rural life. There also are, apparently, advantages to being paranoid like my husband, who keeps a cash stash in the house at all times, enough to get us through a week or so.

I was thinking about doing something really different with valentines' debates in the spirit of "love." Something like not being able to directly disagree with your opponent's points, or having to prove your side by arguing your opponent's side in such a way that it makes it less believable rather than more. Or being able to use only positive points, no negatives.. Or in each debate one has to argue logic only and the other emotional aspects only (like male vs. female) ... Something completely different ... Real brain exercise....

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by orange-light
what do you mean by:

And I already blew my own credit rating, so that's not a big concern either

One of the things people worry about when they've been victims of credit card fraud is that their credit rating will suffer – that debts that they're not really responsible for will end up being reported to the credit agencies, etcetera. It can be a huge hassle to straighten everything out.

But I dug myself so deep in a hole when I was in my 20s that I have no credit rating to speak of.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
what is a credit rating?

@heike
really a nice and challenging idea

hope we can start our challenging debate by the weekend
depending how the cure with lidocaine, wheat pillow and ibuprofen works

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Orange, you shouldn't be looking forward to it .. you don't know what you're in for. I'll have you eating a hamburger before it's over with!

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Heike

honey forget about that!
you will turn veggi when the debate is done

i am veggie since 1999
never even dreamt of meat
but i smell the dead meat when i at "real", a very big supermarket.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Hello Heike! I was just wondering how you were faring with the winter storms, glad to see you have electricity.

Which birngs me to nyk, he may be MIA because a broad swath of northern KY is w/o power at the moment, so I certainly hope his wife is not in labor. It is apparently a real and true disaster. They had five inches of snow on the ground, got four to five inches of ice yesterday and multitudes of trees are down all over knocking out power lines and blocking the roads. And to top things off they are expecting another huge dump of snow, 6-10 inches, on top of the snow/ice.

One of my 'mommies' is dealing with breast cancer/chemo and I cannot get a hold of anyone to check on her. I have one friend in the whole state who has cell service at the moment and she can't get on the roads... it is a worry.

@Orange - What wonderous and fortunate thing to live and not know a what credit rating is. How lucky you are! I will not be the one to sully your innocence with the filthiness of it.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWayISeeIt

sorry to hear about your "mommies" fight.
hope it turns out well

it is amazing to me - another inocence of mine - to learn that storms exist which disconnect whole areas from energy supplies

i am not used to it

to the credi rating: maybe it is because we got a different system
we got the schufa – Protection Association for General Credit Security.
when i don.t pay my bills and they have to sue me with payment summons, and it happens once or twice i won.t get mob contracts etc. anymore

but when i pay all my bills, nobody cares about a rating!

ok sorry just checked it
credit rating is in german "bonität"
but when you got a regular income and pay all your bills regularly your credit rating is ok and you will get money from the bank or mob contrracts, can rent an appartment and so for.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by orange-light

A credit rating is one of the main things banks in the US use to figure out if they will give you a loan or not. IE, if you have a credit card or two, pay your bills on time and in full, you'll have a good rating. If you default on a card/loan or just conveniently tell your bank you never got your notices to the point they required you to sign up for online bill paying, well, your credit rating will be bad.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by orange-light
ok sorry just checked it
credit rating is in german "bonität"
but when you got a regular income and pay all your bills regularly your credit rating is ok and you will get money from the bank or mob contrracts, can rent an appartment and so for.

I'm going to assume that something's getting lost in translation with the "mob contracts"

(Orange – the "mob" in the US usually means the Mafia, and a "mob contract" is liable to be a contract killing)

But yeah, that's a credit rating. At this point mine's good enough to rent an apartment, but I'd be in big trouble if I wanted to buy a house anytime in the foreseeable future. A lot of things spun out of control in my late 20s, and I ran up a huge credit card debt and stopped paying my bills altogether for a while. So even though I'm okay about paying now, I haven't been able to rebuild credit yet to the point where it's worth anything to anyone.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Please Flag For Attention...and don't forget to sign-up...

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

i was talking about about a contract for a mobile phone
sorry
didn.t know that

the aparment stuff depends on how you paid your previous rent, if you always did, no debts with the previous land lord, than you.ll get another apartment too

if you are going to buy a house, which people don.t do as often as the us-.citizens
than it depends on credit rating and you income
even if credit rating is great but your income doesn.t match the sum you need for the house, no credit

if such a thing like it happens to you would happen over here, they would take a look why it happend in your 20s and they will valuate that you changed and they will see you have a good job and regular payment and so most things will be fine

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by FSBlueApocalypse

What I get for coming in late. Anyways, any fighters in the San Diego area? Looks like I'll be there for 2 weeks in June for "AP Boot Camp." I hope this doesn't turn into a forced "How to teach the test" session.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
... *enters, looks around*...

It's awfully quiet in here... so I will just say -

What's up... FU-- excuse me... FIGHTERS?!!

EDIT TO ADD: Shout out to the bbcode geniuses, you can see my mistake... won't you please take this moment to teach and/or show me how/why I made it.

I think, if properly executed, it will truly embody the intent of my statement. Can't someone help a sister express herself? (not in a debate format, I know I am on my own there...
)

[edit on 28-1-2009 by TheWayISeeIt]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   

The size tags won't work with commas or apostrophes...

Sorry for the whispers; I didn't want to wake anyone up...

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
WELL, I DO!!

And as further testament to your genius, you answered my question before I asked it

EDIT TO: Try this again...

... *enters, looks around*...

It is awfully quiet in here... so I will just say -

What's up FU -- Excuse me... FIGHTERS?!!

[edit on 28-1-2009 by TheWayISeeIt]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Keep it down in here.

Some of us are trying to watch po ... hem ... watch posts.

Yeah, that works.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Evening, TWISI...

-Replaces the ear plugs-

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Drink's are on me!!!

Can you hear me now?!

EDIT TO:

*unplug Sdog's DVD player*