It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fight Club Pub.

page: 337
<< 334  335  336    338  339  340 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   

No need to bait me; I'd already decided I would like to take that subject. Let's take a while to consider the wording, though - seems a little inexact, as humor is a cultural phenomena, and I wouldn't want the debate to devolve into a semantic debate about the difference between a society and a culture. I assume you'd want to argue against the premise, NYK?

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

I could actually take either side of that debate.

I agree we need to get the debate topic nailed down to something we both agree on first, but I'm up for taking a random side.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

Regrettably, it doesn't seem like we really have enough to disagree on. I don't want to go bashing individual doctors and nurses either, I think probably most of them do the best they can from that Catch-22 spot between a rock and a hard place that they're stuck in.

Every once in a while I get one that really annoys me with an arrogant "it's all rubbish" attitude towards holistic & homeopathic medicine, but mostly they're reasonable - they just trust what they know about more.

I'd like to really shred the pharmaceutical companies, the FDA, the insurance companies and HMO's, and some of the big hospitals and health care "groups," but it doesn't sound like you disagree with me there.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Pffft. You guys and your "strategies" and "secrets" and all.

This is why Men have wars - they won't TALK to each other.

I happened upon a new "motto" recently that I really like, and for me it epitomizes my motivation for being in the debate club (aside from the fact that I enjoy arguing).

"Argument is meant to reveal the truth, not to create it."
-Edward de Bono-

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
For noobs wanting to learn about debate tactics I think my current debate against AshleyD is good.
No matter how many rebuttals I do, no matter how much logic I bring up,if I continue the debate in this fashion, I am going to loose for certain.

Just for the record, Sky: Although winning is nice and satisfying, just like my Holiday Skirmish with OrangeLight, I'm having so much fun engaging you that 'winning' would just be the small cherry on top of the Sunday.

Looking forward to what you have up your sleeve. If it's good and you end up with the cherry, I still enjoyed sharing the Sunday with you.

*Cue the puking of the peanut gallery from mushy sweetness*

But I mean it.

That's all I'll say since I know we're not supposed to analyze an ongoing debate. But it is FUN.

[edit on 1/21/2009 by AshleyD]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heike
...they won't TALK to each other.

I'm confused...isn't that what they are doing (internet equivalent)?

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Wazzup FCP....

Check out my new siggy...

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Nice, elevated..

I press escape everytime I see it; and hopefully the towel covers up the word...

Ashley/Sky: An epic debate indeed...

I have been enthralled with some of the interpretations you guys have wrought upon each other...

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
I press escape everytime I see it; and hopefully the towel covers up the word...

That's the same thing I've been doing with it. It's like a game.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

What does steelers mean?

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Regrettably, it doesn't seem like we really have enough to disagree on.

I'd like to really shred the pharmaceutical companies, the FDA, the insurance companies and HMO's, and some of the big hospitals and health care "groups," but it doesn't sound like you disagree with me there.

Nope. I think a lot of the problem with the FDA is that it's underfunded and left open to the influence of the pharma/device/chem/insurers industry. But I have no respect for the ethics of any of those groups.

Oh well, it was looking promising for a while there. And we each got a chance to use our shiny new pedestals as a soap box

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I just sent a u2u to MS but it looks like he just logged off but I am about to post. How many links are we allowed in the three 'body' post. I have 5 links total, each to a different site but the rules in our debate only mention the opening and closing post:

Opening and closing statements must have no more than 3 references.

Each individual post may contain up to 10 sentences of external source material, totaled from all external sources.

Links to multiple pages within a single domain count as 1 reference but there is a maximum of 3 individual links per reference, then further links from that domain count as a new reference. Excess quotes and excess links will be removed before judging.

Anybody know what the rule is or has it been revoked?

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

I don't know, but I would guess that:

Excluding both the opening and closing statements, only two images and no more than 5 references can be included for each post. Each individual post may contain up to 10 sentences of external source material, totaled from all external sources.

would still apply, except for the images rule since that was waived. Probably the sentence got deleted because the image limit was waived, without realizing that it also covered the references rule.

(I took that from the intro to Heike v Sky, so it's current).

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Good. So I'm ok then. 5/3 is perfect. Thanks. I'll follow that just to be safe.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by peacejet
reply to post by elevatedone

What does steelers mean?

Since the truth is pretty mundane and only makes sense to American men, I recommend making up your own story about what steelers are.

Or, visit their website: Steelers

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   
morning pub
and morning pup - hi s-dog - couldn.t resist

Pffft. You guys and your "strategies" and "secrets" and all.

This is why Men have wars - they won't TALK to each other.

it is always kind of big business

although i would love to learn more about the super secret manly strategies (i am a curious woman)

so sky when your debate is over please let us look into your cards

Originally posted by americandingbat

Since the truth is pretty mundane and only makes sense to American men,

kind of another big business
in germany they all got their favorite soccer club

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Is that a new contest in my signature?

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Does the winner get ban-protection too, or are they at the mercy of elevatedone?

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Nope you're safe.

Elevator is as we say "impotent" on that thread!

Yikes, it was nice knowing y'all.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

I won't be participating in that as I can't support the team that ended my season. Part of me actually wants the Steelers to win for a little revenge.

On the other hand....if I could give you a boatload of points for your current avatar...I would.

new topics

top topics

<< 334  335  336    338  339  340 >>

join