It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fight Club Pub.

page: 335
<< 332  333  334    336  337  338 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

my lifestream is breaking down all the time, anybody got another site than german tv?

s-dog better stay insite!

OMG carter turned old

and bush sen isn.t hardly able to walk

hi heike

hi ian, ian you kind of cryptic again!

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

I'm not abandoning any of my principles, and even made the statement that my disagreements with him will resume tomorrow.

I find nothing wrong with standing back for one day to allow the man to take office, if that constitutes as abandoning my principles to you....so be it.

Anyone who knows me at all here though knows that abandoning, or even altering my principles is not something I will ever do.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

Oh dear, it worked. And I haven't even had my morning coffee yet - I wonder what this bodes for the day?

Of course, NYK, no serious aspersion intended. Just playing fun with my fellow fighters.

Gotta do something to combat all the hope! I mean, I might even smile....

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

I figured as much my friend, but that accusation has been thrown at me more times than I can count lately.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I just turned on the speech...and he used the term "change" twice in the space of five words...I wonder if someone on ATS will count how many times he has said the word throughout...

At any rate, the idealogy is what I expected and I'm not much impressed...I also chuckled when I found out he stumbled at the beginning of the oath...

-Sighs-

Good Morning FCP...

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Oh stop it grumpy pants.

It was actually an amazing speech.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
It is woefully unfortunate that Clinton laid claim to Angelou. Was that not the dullest poetry recitation anyone has ever heard?

So guys (Mem, Nyk, Ian, Semper) quick question and I will leave it at that.

SQ - Would this day be better for you if it was McCain and Palin being sworn in?

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
Oh stop it grumpy pants.

It was actually an amazing speech.

I am the unending cynic...a quote that stuck out to me, "A question to be asked is not whether or not our government is to big or too small...but if it works."

Pfftt...it doesn't, especially when you see emminent domain take hold, a tax on livestock which threatens the very living spaces of those who tend the livestock (I could search for that thread), the erosion of personal privacy laws and the growing ambiguity between what constitutes Free Speech and Hate Speech.

And there is more...but yeah, the speech was amazing...

And the poet who followed was a disappointing look at trite elementary prose...

-Raises Hand-

Yup - an unending cynic...

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWayISeeIt
SQ - Would this day be better for you if it was McCain and Palin being sworn in?

First, I love that you annotated it as a Socratic Question...

Long Live FCP!!!

And to answer: No. I dare say it would be worse as I strongly feel that the ethnic/social aspect of electing an intelligent African American will go far in the every day lives of people who have in the past refused ethnic integrations of all kinds.

For that, I will set aside cynicism for about, oh...Thirty seconds...

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I must admit I was thoroughly unimpressed by his speech, especially having heard him speak so many times before.

I thought perhaps once he was officially President he would move away from that same old "bumper sticker" approach and give us something of substance...but alas...no dice.

A historic moment for sure, but also a bit of a letdown.

[edit on 20-1-2009 by nyk537]

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin

Or someone who when extended a hand for shaking turns around to see who else is there unannounced..

Maybe I do need to lighten up (
) but I am now an individual who resists thinking that which I am being strongly urged to think.

Edit to Add: And the news reporters are now talking about how the kids have 'earned' the puppy...is that really relevant.

Second Edit: Potential Debate Topic: The U.S. Government Does Not Lead America, Rather It Is A Facade That Has Given Way To The Rule Of Corporation.

[edit on 20-1-2009 by MemoryShock]

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
i guess my opinion doesn.t count very much being abroad

i truely was impressed .- not only that the livestream finally worked but as well by the ceremony and the speech. so lets see how he will full fill the office but i am in good mood and hope about it.

even my son knew facts about the inauguration that i never expected. he told me that the bible for swearing the oath was the one of abraham lincoln.

and i was as well a bit puzzled that obama lost the words of the oath. didn.t they practize?

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Probably the same, but different.

On one hand, I would view a McCain term as, in some ways, a continuation of the policies and their political implementation that we've seen from Bush in the last eight years - and there was much I disagreed with, there, so that would be emotional draining. But, at least we could have been pretty much assured of another four years of solid wit and sniping from The Daily Show.

On the other hand, with an Obama term, we have the upcoming disillusionment of the newly-budded Democratic masses, cultivated under Bush. There's a whole generation of youth to whom Clinton was 'that guy who was President when they were in grade school', who didn't live though and follow such amusements as the FBI Files scandal. To them, the negative aspects of American politics are epitomized in Bush, and not a fundamental aspect of politicians and the system: Obama gives hope for the education of our children.

Now you can say that I've grown bitter
but of this you may be sure
The rich have got their channels in
the bedrooms of the poor
And there's a mighty judgment coming, but I may be wrong
You see, you hear these funny voices
In the Tower of Song

-Leonard Cohen, Tower of Song

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by orange-light

and i was as well a bit puzzled that obama lost the words of the oath. didn.t they practize?

It was odd, but it seemed that John Roberts said it one way, Obama did not respond then Roberts said it another way -- "faithful' was the word that kept moving around...

What about Cheney in his 'spy vs. spy' get-up on the podium?

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   

It was odd, but it seemed that John Roberts said it one way, Obama did not respond then Roberts said it another way -- "faithful' was the word that kept moving around...

Roberts did indeed juxtapose the term "Faithfully" and I think Obama repeated the second version...

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I wish all the commentators would stop harping on this "peaceful transfer of power" thing as if it is a singularly American thing.

Half the world does this. Well maybe not half but you know what I mean.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock

Roberts did indeed juxtapose the term "Faithfully" and I think Obama repeated the second version...

isn.t the oath determined somehow?
and can it be changed this way?

i thought everything was defined very accurately

@s-dog

www.tagesschau.de...

without comments

[edit on 20-1-2009 by orange-light]

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by orange-light
isn.t the oath determined somehow?
and can it be changed this way?

The oath and the action of it is more important than the actual words...it was unintentional and therefore is more of a novelty and if that is Obama's biggest mistake, verbally, than he will do much better than Bush in that respect...

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I enjoyed his speech today. Maybe nothing quite "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself" type stuff, but still good. I'll say this much, I feel alot better today than if it were McCain and I knew Palin was a 72 year old's bum heart away from being President.

new topics

top topics

<< 332  333  334    336  337  338 >>

join