It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fight Club Pub.

page: 308
<< 305  306  307    309  310  311 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

It was a thread that was eventually closed, I believe. Something about a mod conspiracy and a complaint about the Holiday Skirmishes not being ATS material, particularly the Christmas tree debate.

Aw here we go: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Neither complaint were really any big deal. Technically, we should link our images correctly so Blup has a point (we're not above the law lol), however, the above thread was just sour grapes, in my honest humble opinion.

[edit on 1/12/2009 by AshleyD]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Okay, I remember now...the SuperMod Conspiracy by mozzy...

And I am tending to agree with the hot link policy...we aren't above the law and it is by the grace of something that we got overlooked. But I am sent the issue to those higher than me and we can discuss this later.

Perhaps blupblup would like to join us?

Arguing is good for the soul...

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I agree on the hotlink issue also.

Images would still be okay as long as we hosted them ourselves though, is that how it works?

I think we get away with hotlinking because this thread gets relatively few views. But that's not a really good way to act.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Blup has a point; it's slightly rude to talk about people in thread they can see, but not respond to. Although anyone who reads even a few pages of FCP should realize that we're all being very tongue-in-cheek and not intentionally hurtful, here. Acerbic sniping, while still maintaining a solid foundation of mutual respect, is in fact one of the things that makes FCP so fun.

Hey Blup, join the fun sometime! Link to the:
Public Fight Club Pub

for those reading along. We're not a closed circle.

Maria, glad you're back!

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
That's the thing...I host all of my images on photobucket. Does that count?

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Does this mean I can't now post a lovely pic or 2 that I took recently with my new digital cam, and for the purpose of which I expressly created a photobucket account?

boohoo, no fair

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I think photobucket images are allowed under the hotlinking policy.

Technically, so are images hosted by news organizations and certain other sites.

Not linking in an image that's on someone else's server is just general good netiquette. Every time the image gets called, it's a drain on their bandwidth, even though they had nothing to do with putting the image up here.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

I don't see why you couldn't post images that you own the rights to in any situation.

Although perhaps I'm missing the point.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
So that's it then.
We can't get each other drinks anymore.
A bar without drinks.
Terrific.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Of course not. I'll take pictures of my own drinks, load them to my own ATS space and share them if I have to.

You can take our right to hotlink, but you can never take our drinks!

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

I don't think that's going to happen. We're just going to have to be more scrupulous about linking from our ATS or photobucket/imageshack space instead of elsewhere.

It'll suck for the people with dialup/slow connections, but we'll still have drinks.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

New Forum Image Linking Policy

Effective immediately, AboveTopSecret.com is handling inline images differently, the standard BBcode [img] [/img] tags are now generating image links.

Due to our massive size and traffic levels, inline image hotlinking of images hosted on lesser websites can end up causing bandwidth issues for the host site. Generally, this is a "grey area" in the world of discussion boards as the BBcode for inline images is pretty much standardized across tens of thousands of sites. But once a board achieves our size, we need to be mindful of the bandwidth strain we might cause other websites, and strive to be good Internet citizens.

Generally, the new rule is simple:

You host it: if you have made arrangements to host the image either through a hosting service, your own website, or your ATS member upload space, you can visually display the image in your post if you have the rights to use the image(s).

A news service hosts it: If the image is owned by a news service, you can display it in a post by using a new tag.

All other images included in posts will now appear as an "external image" link.

The new rules are applied as follows...

LEGACY SUPPORT -- The Standard BBcode Image Tag: [img](image url)[/img]
This will generate a large-text "external image" link to the source image if the host site is not in our list of enabled hosts. Use this tag whenever you are in doubt. Enabled host sites currently include: uploads.abovetopsecret.com, photobucket, imageshack, and tinypic. If you favor an alternate free image hosting service, please send me an example URL of an image you have hosted there.

NEWS IMAGERY -- A New BBcode News Image Tag: [im](image url)[/im]
This displays the image inline, as well as indicates the source URL of the image. Use this tag for images from accredited news websites only as their sourcing rules generally allow this type of usage. Do not use tag for any other images.

MEMBER HOSTED -- A New ATS Member BBcode Image Tag: [ats](image url)[/ats]
This displays the image inline in the same way the old tag used to. Use this tag only for images for which you have arranged hosting by uploading it to your member upload center, or through any other hosting means you have arranged. Even if your host is in the list of enabled hosts for the [img] [/img] tag, we prefer that you use the [ats] [/ats] tag for inline images from this point forward.

Examples of these new tag policies are:

[img] [/img]

[im] [/im]

[ats] [/ats]

We will be enforcing these new image hotlinking rules aggressively. Any member discovered using the [ats] tag for images they have not arranged to host will be subject to a brief or permanent posting ban depending on the severity of the infraction.

NOTICE: This new system is not intended to circumvent obtaining permission to integrate the intellectual property of others into your posts without their permission. In fact, the new "external link" tag is intended to better preserve the property rights of the original owner of the images that have been hotlinked in board posts. This system is in place to better support our recognition of image ownership, while offering members the means to hotlink inline images for which they have permission to post.

WARNING: INCLUDING IMAGES IN YOUR POSTS FOR WHICH YOU HAVE NO RIGHTS MAY RESULT IN WARNINGS AND/OR ACCOUNT TERMINATION.[/B]

[edit on 22-4-2006 by SkepticOverlord]

Hot Link Policy

At the very least, we can use the img tags to bring up the "external source" link. Though from what I am interpreting, if you host the image externally from ATS then it should be good to go...someone else want to wade through this?

I am not a "computer geek"...

[edit on 12-1-2009 by MemoryShock]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   

I think that is correct.

And blupblup sorry for the image.

I did take it down.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
The only issue I'm seeing in there is the question of copyright violation.

As long as we have the right to use an image, we should be fine if we host it at ATS or photobucket/tinypic/imageshack and use the [ats]____[/ats] tags.

edit: and of course, make sure it's on topic and a contribution to this thread

[edit on 1/12/09 by americandingbat]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

There in lies the gray area and why I believe ATS implemented the policy...to insure proper netiquette as gaining/having permission to host an image is still a legal ambiguity.

And blupblup will be joining us shortly...

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   

I THINK it means if you host it yourself on your own website, your ATS member center, or on a site like Photobucket or Image Shack, you can use the 'ats' tags but if you are linking to normal sites where you are not hosting it then you have to use the 'img' tags.

Again, I think. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

[edit on 1/12/2009 by AshleyD]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

That is how I am interpreting it as well...

link   

when i host the image via photobucket it will be shown as an image as well not just a link "external image" right?
and that is ok?

link   
Sounds right to me.

I'm just going to start hosting everything on my ATS space to avoid any issues.

Simple enough.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Dang it Mr. Shock – how are we going to maintain our reputation as elitist bastards if we just let people in when they ask?

Kidding, blupblup. Welcome

new topics

top topics

<< 305  306  307    309  310  311 >>

join