It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fight Club Pub.

page: 257
<< 254  255  256    258  259  260 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWayISeeIt

You're from Kentucky TWISI?

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Sorry to hear about the accident, nyk...but glad to hear that you are all right...

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
@TWISI: Lollygagging is fine with me, I just didn't expect you to disappear from the Pub also. If I know you're around and okay it's cool.

@FSB: My first thought was "Gee, did they read our debate?" I know, that's not really funny.

As far as the penalty for selling the games to minors, I think it's pointless. There will probably always be some adult around willing to buy it for them, more so than either booze or smokes. After all, it's just a game.

As has been said many times by many people (and in my opinion correctly), it is the PARENTS who should be in control of what games their kids play, not the government. Maybe they think by putting them in their own section they'll be able to keep the kids from shoplifting them as well as buying them? Or some [sarcasm]intellectual giants[/sarcasm] think that if they can't LOOK at the games, they won't want to buy them. Yeah, like there aren't any ads on TV for them.

As far as the taxes go, well, I can see why you're mad but .. it's along the lines of a "luxury tax." We already pay them on alcohol, tobacco, some electronics (in some places) and other things. I'd rather they added more taxes to video games than raise taxes on things we HAVE to buy, like food.
Of course, like you, I'd really rather they didn't raise ANY taxes.

[edit on 17-12-2008 by Heike]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   
NYK, glad you're okay, even if your car is not... oh well, metal can be replaced. Don't let the insurance adjuster talk you into any kind of early settlement; get a mechanic's opinion, if they want to repair.

Myself, I'm just coming off another (aargh) nite/morning shift, and must rant. Why do testers feel the need to write up every instance of a problem report as a separate issue? Are they paid by the bug report, or what? I'm trying to get out of town on Saturday, and still have 150+ issues assigned to me.... and 90% of them are, likely, duplicates of the same bug.
But of course they're written up as separate issues, with entirely separate descriptions, even though I gave them checked builds (with debug output) so they could (hopefully) correlate some of the problem situations I've been unable to find. So I've spend hours and hours dealing with issues one-by-one, because the sheer volume of crap they've entered obscures any other useful path of fixing things. AARGH! Sorry, I felt the need to vent; please don't let me lay anything on anyone....

Interpid, I will (again, hopefully) have another post up soon, if sleep doesn't intervene... I'm having trouble getting in a 'happy egg-nog' mood....

FSBA, my bosses would have me tell you, quit complaining and pay for whatcha need. I, on the other hand, empathize - I stopped buying commercial video games (even though they're tax-deductible for me) myself several years ago, on principle...

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

Someone needs a ...

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ian McLean
Interpid, I will (again, hopefully) have another post up soon, if sleep doesn't intervene... I'm having trouble getting in a 'happy egg-nog' mood....

Take your time man. This is a fun debate, not a knock down drag out one.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Nyk - I am indeed from Kentucky, but I was raised by lesbian's so I don't know how much common ground we are going to find in our childhoods -- love of bourbon being a given.

Heike - You are so sweet to worry, it is not that I am not here, it is just that I choose to sit queitly when this place gets into the Twitter-like-mode it has been in of late.

Ian - You game programmer, you. I may u2u and pry into your professional life as I know of a number of folks who are looking around for people in your field for mobile ent. stuff. Of course, feel free to tell me to never mind, I will take no offense.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWayISeeIt

Nyk - I am indeed from Kentucky, but I was raised by lesbian's so I don't know how much common ground we are going to find in our childhoods -- love of bourbon being a given.

If you get the chance try a good Canadian rye:

You'll be sold.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

If you get the chance try a good Canadian rye:

You'll be sold.

Thanks for that one

Now I got drool all over the keyboard

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Heike

Agreed. I'm seriously considering bringing this to the state ACLU and see what they say. A few years back religious fundies got the state to hike up taxes on alcoholic beverages and the ACLU successfully sued saying it was an oppression of one group imposing their moral standards on others. I'll see if they'll take it up.

Sad it took my thumb exercising, beer drinking, habit to get me to care about a specific piece of legislation not named the Patriot Act.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Nyk - I am indeed from Kentucky, but I was raised by lesbian's ...

I wish I was raised by lesbians in Kentucky.

Then again, that might have made me different.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

*must resist obvious reply*

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a lucky moment
orange puts of the apron

my final post is up
no more bartending

champagne for everybody

reply to post by nyk537

nyk i am glad that you are ok.
must have been quiet a shock. hopefully your car can be fixed!

reply to post by Ian McLean

reply to post by schrodingers dog

you rock!

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

Nyk - I am indeed from Kentucky, but I was raised by lesbian's ...

I wish I was raised by lesbians in Kentucky.

I doubt it,

you'd still be insensitive and a pain in the proverbial

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

You called Santa a lying Nazi and I am insensitive?

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

I didn't call santa a nazi, I called him a paedophile and accused him of maybe grooming youngsters by creaping into their bedrooms and leaving them gifts.

Oh, and a racist for leaving out most of the third world in his gift runs.

Brown people must be very naughty - is santa GW Bush?

The reindeers "donner und blitzen" were nazi's.

Remember ?

[edit on 17/12/2008 by budski]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Couldn't resist

Tried hard.

Couldn't do it

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by orange-light
my final post is up

As is mine, thus ending our debate.

Remember, you love me, I love you, and we are friends. Keep that in mind when reading my closing post.

And isn't this a predicament! Right as I finally need a drink, you don't bartend anymore.

Edit to add: But I will take a glass of that champagne you are offering!

[edit on 12/17/2008 by AshleyD]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
@nyk - glad you're okay! And sorry to hear about the accident and the car - it's a terrible time to have to deal with all that.

@budski - speaking of terrible times, what convinces people that anyone wants a surprise visit in the middle of December?

@ian - *hugs*

@TWISI - it's good to see you in the Pub now and then, and even better to hear you're enjoying yourself.

@orange and ashley - Congratulations to both of you on your first debate! I haven't read the end, but you've both been doing great

@everyone else -

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by FSBlueApocalypse

can i get the link for that article about video games?

top topics

<< 254  255  256    258  259  260 >>

join