It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fight Club Pub.

page: 234
<< 231  232  233    235  236  237 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

When you said "holiday music", I immediately thought of that song. It's one of my favorites.

I've actually heard it mixed in with muzac, at times, during the holidays. Usually at places where the music is quiet enough that the lyrics aren't intelligible...

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   
good morning

no son so orange slept the whole day

call me lazy please

@ian see i learnt!

reply to post by Heike

i life on my online friends
but most of them are now real life friends too since we meet online and on the phone and sometimes for visits

i love that

reply to post by maria_stardust

no no maria
not only the ladies at DATS it is around the FCP too.

but we keep our shirts and shorts on due to T&C
so no worries at all needed!

reply to post by MemoryShock

sure sweetie?
don.t judge from s-dogs panties!

reply to post by CA_Orot

glad that you are safe home honey

you talked about it but i guess i told you that we could have a break for that time

@memory:
anything about my debate?
i am ready to start!
orange vs light?

monologizing!

glad that you are skirmishing too

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Thought you guys might be interested in this article as it shatters some of the MSM myths about women in the workplace, and the march of "equality" which still has a long way to go.

It would also make a great debate topic IMO - I've had many women bosses and found them to be better and more effective in their roles than most males I encountered in similar positions.

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

hey budski

very interesting!
what me usually scares are women who accept these situations, who think it is normal that men are getting higher wages,a greater carreer etc.

another interesting question is: why are women this way? education? or traditon?

would be a wonderful debate!

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

What a sober, backtracking, pull the foot out of my mouth, apologetic thought.

I'm sure Heike will be placated accordingly.

[edit on 12/13/2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Shout out to say, I think Ositate's opening in the fake vs. real x-mas tree debate has the potential to be a classic.

I am off to see what I can learn about Santa's little helpers and to better understand why it is necessary the status quo stays maintained.

Later!

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I am so hungover...chissler, don't expect my opening until the last minute...

Orange: We'll get you set up today...

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by orange-light

I would say tradition, or more specifically, conditioning.
Another good debate might be about role reversal, where the man stays home and looks after the kids while the woman works.
A very good friend of mine does this - his wife is a genetecist working towards her PhD, which is about the malarial parasite, so he stays at home and looks after the kids.

Sdog - backtracking it ain't - there's a difference between banter and actually, really, thinking that way.
Have you posted yet?

Or are you going to bottle this one as well

[edit on 13/12/2008 by budski]

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Tell me about it - although I am going to have a "few" this evening as well

Actually, it's nearly half seven here,so I already started

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
This is going to be an interesting skirmish.

Hey, I thought my opening statements were short and sweet.

That takes bravado, my friend!

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   

great to hear that - not about your hangover dear, but the setting up (or upsetting
)

maybe this helps?

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

conditioning and education.
usually school books have traditional role models.
mom stays at home, mom is caring for the kids
dad working, dad driving a car ………

and society keeps telling girls to be good, to be quiet, to socialize and all that stuff - which is quiet necessary but usally means that girls stand in the background and care for others.

it is very difficult for some women, no matter if they stay at home or got a job, to get the concept of healthy egoism. to stand up for their rights, to care for themselves first, than for others.

how is the reaction of society towards your friend?
some people would claim that this guy is not a real man! depending on a woman and doing stuff that is conected with woman work.

we should discuss this.
role models, chaning of role models,

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWayISeeIt

Shout out to say, I think Ositate's opening in the fake vs. real x-mas tree debate has the potential to be a classic.

Can I take the fifth in response to the Socratic Question "Do you enjoy watching things die?"

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

I laughed out loud when I saw that...:d

That's going to be a great debate...

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Intrepid: Did you intend to do that?

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I don't suppose videos are allowed?

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by americandingbat
I don't suppose videos are allowed?

There is nothing in the rules that states they aren't...

We may have to amend that but these are Holiday Skirmishes so have at it...

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   

We'll see. Not in my opening, of course. But I have some ideas for later ...

And I promise, no Monty Python

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by orange-light

Well, my friend had been in the royal ballet, and had to give it up because of shin splints - but he was clever and bought property when he was making good money.
So he now has flats in london that he rents out (in business with another friend), which obviously gives him an income, even after the mortgages are paid - so in that sense he is not in the traditional "house husband" role.

Some people have a problem with what he does, but these are generally people who are "macho" - or think they are.

IMO he is a good man, because he provides (in the traditional male sense) but is also comfortable enough in his masculinity that he supports his wifes career, and is willing to be at home instead of being out having a career of his own.

The traditional male role has become blurred over the last few decades, but there is still a stigma attached when a man is a "house-husband" and I think that this is a reflection of the way people perceive traditional rolesin a relationship.

I have never had a problem with a partner being more "successfull" in their chosen career, and earning more money etc
One of the most complete relationships I had was with a woman who was a lawyer - she worked for a human rights group called Human Rights Watch, and she earned more than me, did more good than me and was an all round fantastic human being. We split up amicably because of the amount of time we spent apart - at the time, we both had to travel a lot and that left little time for us to be together, but we are still good friends and keep in touch.

I see the male role changing more as time goes on - BUT there are very many people who are still caught in a "macho" culture or are threatened by the success of women, so it will take more decades of positive intervention before the roles and sexes become truly equal.

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by maria_stardust

That is a very, very 'short and sweet' opening statement!

new topics

top topics

<< 231  232  233    235  236  237 >>

join