It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fight Club Pub.

page: 186
<< 183  184  185    187  188  189 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Irish M1ck
Anyone down with a 3 person debate? All three choose a different side? That would be crazy.

Mick .. that would be interesting. We'd need a topic that's a little more open-ended instead of yes-no, though.

Something like "what should the appropriate punishment for convicted pedophiles be?" One argue incarceration for life no parole, one argue execution, and one argue castration? That sort of what you had in mind? (not that topic, but the concept).

ORANGE: Remind yourself that most of the people you are talking to here couldn't converse in a second language if their life depended on it! [whisper]Psst .. we would say "help from my friends".[/whisper]

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Irish M1ck

i guess it is fair to tell reader and judges that i am not an english native.
might be easier for them to understand?

@mick
reading your idea reminded me of that old joke.
"honey i would like to have 3 children"
"oh yeah me to, one of each gender"

@heike
yeah that might be true.
thanks for the correction [heike special]in german it is the same preposition, i should study them a bit more intensively[/heike special]

[edit on 2-12-2008 by orange-light]

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Holiday Skirmish Sign-Ups

As has been intimated, we are going to try and revive the Holiday Skirmish idea that can be seen halfway down this page.

There were only three that year but I think we can do a few more this year. It wouldn't be a tournament but rather a single round of Challenge Matches that would coincide with each other as far as the start date, which is tentatively scheduled for December 12th (the date may be amended should there be an overwhelming consensus to).

These debates are intended to be light hearted in nature and are really just an excercise in the spirit of the holiday. I had a freaking blast debating The Vagabond a few years ago so I definitely think many here would enjoy the more toned down nature.

That said, this announcement is intended to gauge the interest. I will keep a list that I will add to for those who express interest. As well, it is possible for those of you who so desire to choose your own opponent or we can just do a random pairing.

One more thing for consideration: Depending on what you guys think, we can eliminate the ranking points wager for the Holiday Skirmnishes or keep them. I leave this decision to the majority vote.

Remember...regardless of our competitive spirits, the Holiday Skirmishes are supposed to be fun!!

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by orange-light

Well well well, what do we have here?
Yet one more beautiful, intelligent, independent young lady joining our ranks.
Welcome aboard o-l.

Seems like Ashley's back as well.

Heike, big congratulations on your debate win.

Do I smell pot-pourris?

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Heike

Aren't those the best though.

I love open-ended topics.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

Well well well, what do we have here?
Yet one more beautiful, intelligent, independent young lady joining our ranks.

Be careful not to Drool.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
One more thing for consideration: Depending on what you guys think, we can eliminate the ranking points wager for the Holiday Skirmnishes or keep them. I leave this decision to the majority vote.

Remember...regardless of our competitive spirits, the Holiday Skirmishes are supposed to be fun!!

I'm interested, and I guess the 12th would be okay with me.

I like the idea of random matchups, random topics, and no points wagered, personally. That way we can really just have fun with the fights.

PS - this has to be a Fight Club classic line:

Is there any kind of government agency for the protection of dictionaries? Memoryshock’s dictionary clearly should be placed in foster care before it is forced to contort itself any further for his amusement.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by americandingbat
PS - this has to be a Fight Club classic line:

Is there any kind of government agency for the protection of dictionaries? Memoryshock’s dictionary clearly should be placed in foster care before it is forced to contort itself any further for his amusement.

I seriously laughed my arse off when I first read that...

It's true too...back in the day, the first thing I would do was to look up potentially contentious words within the debate topic and then direct focus where I wanted to go.

I didn't fool The Vagabond in that debate though...

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

he is a dog sky what do you expect?

@s-dog
sorry i had to

[whispering] thanks for your kind words honey [/whispering]

@memory
sounds interesting and funny
but i guess it would be to much for the beginning wouldn.t it?

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Be careful not to Drool.

The drooling is because I am allergic to pot-pourris.
That and fluffy pillows.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

He did a nice job turning around your Kenny G. argument too – that could have won you the debate for sure if he wasn't quite so adroit

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Pending confirmation by Budski, you can put him and I down for a holiday skirmish.

We've been looking for a lighter subject to debate.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

It was worth it...

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Mick, count me in for a three-way if we can find a third and a mutually agreeable topic. I enjoy trying new things. Plus just think of all the fun we'll have watching Semper figure out how many judges he needs to decide a 3-way debate.

SDOG: Just don't say it. Don't! NO! Paws OFF the keyboard!

MS: Count me in for a holiday skirmish, 12th is okay, random & random is fine, I'd prefer no points so we can just have fun and maybe go for laughs instead of points. (IS there any room for humor on ATS?)

@Orange Ask for any help you need and I'll help if I can. I do speak/write German, but not as well as you speak/write English. If you come up with a really tough one, I'll email it to my Dad - he's a certified translator!

link   
Do the holiday skirmishes have to be on a specific topic?

If not, you can put me and jsobecky down for a debate.

link   
Holiday Skirmish Sign-up Thread

Rather than get everything confused and disjointed in the Fight Club Pub, I have created a temporary stickied thread for sign up. Please use the above thread to express availability.

Thanks!

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   

If not, you can put me and jsobecky down for a debate.

The topic would be holiday themed. Get jsobecky to post in the Public Fight Club Pub and we can work out everything...

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   

"Christmas is way better than St Patrick's day."

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Hmm, that will only work if it is holiday themed in such a way like:

All I want for Christmas is a new president.

Might have to hold off and do the debate with jsobecky later.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   

No confusion? No disjointedness? Geez, Shock, way to take all the fun out of the Holiday madness.

(And for those of you paying close attention, yes I posted my FCP reply there and my Skirmish sign up reply here. Who says I have no holiday spirit?)

[edit on 2-12-2008 by Heike]

top topics

<< 183  184  185    187  188  189 >>

join