It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fight Club Pub.

page: 145
<< 142  143  144    146  147  148 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
BTW SDog: Whenever you think a situation in ATS is getting flirtatious, remember that there are many guys posting as women and many women posting as guys here.

That should suffice to turn him off

You can usually tell which ones are guys

Eg- Hornysexbabe34 etc

Errr, not speaking from experience.....just watched a lot of "Owned MSN" clips on youtube

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Okay, my opening is up. I hope it makes you sweat a little, or at least doesn't make you laugh.

Now I'll go read your opening....

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
BTW SDog: Whenever you think a situation in ATS is getting flirtatious, remember that there are many guys posting as women and many women posting as guys here.

That should suffice to turn him off

Oh dear, I don't want to to get into the whole pre-op vs. post-op debate.

Or do I?

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

How could I resist?

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

Oh dear, I don't want to to get into the whole pre-op vs. post-op debate.

Or do I?

Go on then

Do you prefer pre- op women or post- op women.....erm....if you could call them women

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
After bit of cursory research for an opening, I have to say (and again I think I speak for both Ding and I) that our original title and topic:

"Stacking the Decks" - Breast Augmentation - The Vice of Vixens or Personal Sacrifice for the Common Good -- would have been more fun for us and the collective you.

(And as an added bonus, it could have allowed for the merits/benefits of happy transsexual post-op's to be looked into at more depth).

Having said that, we are grateful to be allowed to debate the power of those things dangling off our chests, and appreciate Semper standing in the line of fire to let it come to pass.

(Don't) Fight the power!

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I have to agree, after some time spent wallowing through the arguments of second and third wave feminists :bnghd:

But don't rule out the transsexuals, TWISI – there's still a possible argument there

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

I think we will have to spend a lot of time contorting the definfiton of Feminine, but I'm up for it if you are... It will certainly make the topic more entertaining than trying to equate Feminism and boob jobs in the literal sense.

And would, I think, make the Pro postion more tenable for both of us, as I am empathetic and feel your pain (and mine at the boredom of us going roundy-round over a faux-feminist issue).

Also, heart-to-the-heavens, this is not a debating ploy. I have no strategy for a change up, nor research, but will happily dig-in if you let me know you are down with it and we are a little flexible with the timeline for Opening and First's.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWayISeeIt

I actually didn't see the contortion as being that difficult. The way I was thinking was that I'd have to argue that post-op transsexuals are female, and then that fake boobs will empower them.

I really hadn't decided yet whether I want to go that way or not.

And we're never gonna get anywhere in the Fight Club if we keep talking strategy to our opponents in the Pub

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I think a debate on the wider aspect of your topic - such as plastic/cosmetic surgery in general - and the undue importance of appearance in our society - would be interesting.

If we're so "civilized," why can't we value people according to their personality, actions, integrity, and so forth instead of their physical appearance?

Reminds me of the old song:

"If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life
Never make a pretty woman your wife.
So from my personal point of view
Pick an ugly girl to marry you!"

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Heike

I (we?) agree and thought we were doing that with our original challenge match title/topic, but were not allowed that option.

The title/topic we have now is a compromise of sorts; in that we are entitled to discuss breasts, but on the terms/title/topic that were given to us by Semper (read The PTB) this AM.

To sum: while grateful we can debate the impact of the cultural/social significance of a part of our bodies, it would be nice to escape the pseudo-importance of the context... while of course staying inside of the given lines of the Topic, hence the suggestion above.

It is a credit to Semp's patience that we get to discuss it at all

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by americandingbat
reply to post by TheWayISeeIt

I actually didn't see the contortion as being that difficult. The way I was thinking was that I'd have to argue that post-op transsexuals are female, and then that fake boobs will empower them.

Physically I would say yes....although there would be a lack of female reproductive organs, so maybe technically thats a no...

Im confused

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWayISeeIt
I (we?) agree and thought we were doing that with our original challenge match title/topic, but were not allowed that option.

It would have been broader in scope, I agree, and that that makes an interesting topic.

My secret desire is to argue that it is mind/body dualism that is the cause of all ills today, and I would have had a chance to get a start on it

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
Physically I would say yes....although there would be a lack of female reproductive organs, so maybe technically thats a no...

Yeah, definition of female is key. But I think it's at least arguable.

reply to Heike
I love the song – mind if I use it?

It is a credit to Semp's patience that we get to discuss it at all

Agreed. And no matter how much I whine and bitch, I appreciate it. And Semper still rocks.

[edit on 11/12/08 by americandingbat]

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by americandingbat
And we're never gonna get anywhere in the Fight Club if we keep talking strategy to our opponents in the Pub

Wise...

I don't know how many times I have debated a position I didn't agree with. I've won some and lost some.

You should know...-ahem-...that the debate topic can be construed any way you want.

By making the topic more general in nature, Semper has actually allotted you the oppurtunity to define your own terms of battle...

It's still the same debate. Make it good.

Because we are watching...

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

*notes sage advice*

*begrudingly gets up from the bar stool, drink in hand, to confer with Ding*

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

Go right ahead .. after all it's not MY song.

And here's the whole song for you:

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Thanks Mr. Shock, for the advice, and Heike for the song

*motions TWISI to come join her in the booth for a conference*

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
#### DATS ALERT ####

Our friendly rivals have just uploaded their * first * DATS podcast.

Let's just say it makes for an interesting listen.

DATS Mix Episode 1

Topics of discussion:

* Favorite colors
* Favorite bands
* how they happened upon ATS/BTS

Let's give our friends at DATS a show of support.

[edit on 11/12/2008 by maria_stardust]

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by maria_stardust

Listening now....good call on the 'call for support'...

TWISI/ADB: I can't wait to see what you two do with the topic...good luck to both...

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
On a side note, I don't suppose that Schro Dog wants me to make good on the 10000 point wager...

It's not like he can't make it up inside of a day...

new topics

top topics

<< 142  143  144    146  147  148 >>

join