It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fight Club Pub.

page: 135
<< 132  133  134    136  137  138 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Oh yeah! Thank you everyone!

I'm off to get some actual coffee and doughnuts -- seems like such a great idea!

I'll bring back extras for everyone!

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

Forget that, I got you some Vintage Krug!

Celebrate good times come on...

Oh wait, not Krug, Korbel.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
And the winner is...

IAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations Ian.

I was comfortable throughout the debate, believing in my certain victory...until the very last post. Thats where I saw the overall picture you had been weaving and started getting uncomfortable. Well done!

I would also like to give a big
to all the judges, especially the second judge. That was some superb judging, that took the debate seriously enough to explain the why of your decisions.

MemoryShock: Kindly update the fighter-rankings, including our wins in this Tournament. Thanks.

[edit on 8-11-2008 by Skyfloating]

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
"Let us bow down in front of the Greatness that is Ian McLean and let our hearts be filled with joy at the magnificent presence of his great genius!"

Skyfloating, I can't pay you obeisance due to the rules I've made up for myself, but I can tell ya again you are one of my heroes. You did an awesome job throughout the tournament and you should hold your head even higher.

As to the judges, while 2 did an outstanding job, to me they are all brilliant, beautiful people.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
reply to post by FSBlueApocalypse

Your opponent needs to contact me...

I want to know he is going to show up and actually debate

Semper

K, I u2ued him again telling him to contact you ASAP.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
MemoryShock: Kindly update the fighter-rankings, including our wins in this Tournament. Thanks.

The rankings have been updated after each round and are now current...

Ian: The debate pennant graphic will take some time to transfer over to your avatar. This is the first time I have had to do it and I need to figure out the process.

That and intrepid has really sharp claws...

Schro Dog: I'll have that closing for you soon, hopefully...

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

Agreed that #2 did a thorough job. Now if only our debate could get judged. Can you tell it was argued by two n00bs.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by FSBlueApocalypse

You don't figure it's taking so long because our judges want to bask in our brilliance and are reluctant to let go of the process?

edit to add: Indeed the ATS debate judges are all such paragons of justice that I have no concern that TWISI's admittedly impressive boot-licking abilities will sway them in any way in our upcoming match

[edit on 11/8/08 by americandingbat]

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
Schro Dog: I'll have that closing for you soon, hopefully...

I cannot wait.

Btw, yet another thread started by SDog that could have helped your cause: www.abovetopsecret.com...

This could be a new debate strategy. Start threads on topics your opponent might use against you so that he can't use them.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Congratulations Ian, well played. But respect due to Skyfloating too for being right up there, you guys are examples I'll do my best to learn from.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
So do we get to hear about yesterday's u2u conversation now that the verdict is in?

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Oh great awesome now I have a sugar rush, a hangover (rapidly fading), and stunned euphoria.

*extra doughnuts for everyone*

Sky, my thanks and respect. *salutes*

Sdog, I've always though a good debate format would be where all external sources and links must be ATS threads... that would be interesting. In researching this last debate, I ran across Skyfloating threads several times. I restrained myself to a single oblique reference, though (did anyone catch that?). I figured it's a little unfair to conflate the member and the debater.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ian McLean
I figured it's a little unfair to conflate the member...

That has been my position all along.

You set em up, I knock'em down.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by americandingbat
So do we get to hear about yesterday's u2u conversation now that the verdict is in?

We were exchanging and admitting to the BS we were involved in.

Ian detected my maneuver to deliberately post too much text in one post, knowing it would later be removed by the Forum Mod. I detected Ians maneuver of pretending to do a write-up "that is not part of the debate" in his final post.

Those are only two examples.

This time though, the judges saw through my BS.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

BS in a debate final? You guys? No way.

I have so much to learn

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Why... why... why... "BS"??? I thought we agreed to call them 'effective debating tactics' and 'communication enhancement techniques'!

Okay, yes, that euphemism, itself, is BS.

I discussed the deliberate contrast I attempted to take, in tone, to Sky's early replies. It hurt me in the popular vote, but I figured it might play better with the judges. It was a dicey risk and had me worried all the way though.

One thing we didn't really discuss was my total avoidance of the word 'circumstantial', even though I was building an almost entirely circumstantial case. I was really afraid Sky would attack the heck out of that.

It's amazing how much communication happens, unspoken, in a debate, just by the way each of the participants views how their opponent is approaching the tactics involved.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
My closing is up...how is that for using every second...24 hours to the minute...

Great debate, Schro Dog...

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Likewise my friend, that was a lot of fun.
We is rilli smart.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ian McLean
It's amazing how much communication happens, unspoken, in a debate, just by the way each of the participants views how their opponent is approaching the tactics involved.

See, this is why it would be so great to have some kind of mentor set-up. Because I miss most of that subtext, and I doubt that I'm the only newbie who does. And reading old debates and judges' comments is really helpful, but it still doesn't get to what goes on during the debate, in terms of choices made and reasons why.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Shock, has our debate been judged yet?

top topics

<< 132  133  134    136  137  138 >>

join