It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US security clampdown: 72 hours' notice required from British visitors

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 03:57 AM
link   

US security clampdown: 72 hours' notice required from British visitors

www.guardian.co.uk

Travellers from 27 countries including Britain will be required to register online with US authorities at least three days before leaving to visit America, it will be announced today.

This latest measure aimed at bolstering American security is expected to take effect from January.

Last year, European companies expressed concern when the US homeland security department floated proposals to make passengers register with US authorities 48 hours before travel. Critics feared this could complica
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Are we going to far with these types of security measures? I could see this in effect for Islamic countries.

Having to give three days notice before travel seems kinda extreme to me.

Do Americans have to give any notice before traveling to other countries?

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 04:07 AM
link   
I think a fitting answer from those countries affected would be, as you said LDragonFire, to make all American citizens register at least 3 days prior to travel, or be turned back at their own expense. The mass protests from commuting citizens would surely make the authorities reexamine this flawed policy.

I fail to see how a 'security measure' such as this will help. What, it gives them time to roster more security guards on if someone named Mohammed flies in from Japan? Pointless policies irritate people and make it harder to enforce those ones that really work. They are stepping on their own feet here.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by watch_the_rocks
I think a fitting answer from those countries affected would be, as you said LDragonFire, to make all American citizens register at least 3 days prior to travel, or be turned back at their own expense. The mass protests from commuting citizens would surely make the authorities reexamine this flawed policy.

This is what and how I would react. It's bad for business and I think its overbearing.

I fail to see how a 'security measure' such as this will help. What, it gives them time to roster more security guards on if someone named Mohammed flies in from Japan? Pointless policies irritate people and make it harder to enforce those ones that really work. They are stepping on their own feet here.

It just doesn't make any sense they already know who is flying why do they need a three day notice? Plus all the security at the airports the searches and background checks, its just adding one more thing to make it a hassle to fly into the USA.

[edit on 3-6-2008 by LDragonFire]

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Just file this under whatever catagory all the other actions and proposals that illustrate how afraid of the rest of the world America and the American government are....

That being said, it will become a new standard and the same will take affect in other countries, and the masses will find it more and more difficult to travel abroad, then lose desire to do so...and international travel will remain something reserved for the elites....not that many Americans travel farther than Canada or Mexico anyway....unless its on business...

...once upon a time people could travel between nations with ease...

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Great points
And Who's going to pay for all this added supposed security? Not the Governments! It will just simply be added to your tickets,

"Why?" some of them yelled. "Tell us something,"

police wearing riot helmets yanked them away!

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Well, it sure makes me feel safer....

This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I guess these guys need to try to justify that they doing SOMETHING. With the rest of the country screaming about the Mexican border, I guess I don't agree with them focusing on this issue.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 04:51 AM
link   
So....that would happen if someone had to travel to the States in a hurry? I have family over there, and my Dad has been ill recently...if I wanted to visit him if he was taken into hospital again, which I have been warned may be for the last time, can you imagine how bad it would feel to be told I had to wait? For what? Just for someone in an office somewhere to realise I'm not a terrorist? Pointless! Will there be any exemption process at all?

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 04:58 AM
link   
LOL man oh man when is it going to stop They just keep taking and you can not do any thing about it

What happens if you need to go to America if a family member falls sick Do you still have to wait 3 days They could be dead ??

My understand was some countrys had a visa waver program like Australia with America so they did not have to wait for a visa It was granted when you bought your ticket I my self have been to the USA a # of times before and after 911 and never had a problem

Just another way the Gov is controlling you

Did i not hear about America and Canada and Mexico all becoming one?
They make it look like they don't want any one to come to your country

I will just keep my money in my pocket

Looks like i was not the only person with the same question

[edit on 3-6-2008 by duffster]

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 05:03 AM
link   
If you are a terrorist, hellbent on destroying America on short notice, what prevents you from buying a ticket to Mexico or Canada and simply driving in or catching a connecting flight in?

Maybe terrorists would rather call off the operation than be forced into a connecting flight.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 05:17 AM
link   
According to the US Embassy in London's website there were 4,176,211 British citizens (from England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland) who visited the USA in 2006. That's a lot of people, and those people spend a lot of money when they visit providing a large boost to local economies which in turn provides a large boost to the national economy.

Can the USA afford to restrict visitors in such a manner? I've visited the US a couple of times in the last few years and security is already at paranoid levels. All visitors now have to queue for an hour or so whilst they have their fingerprints taken and a photograph too. Yet if things go any further it may harm tourism numbers, and tourism is a major source of revenue and jobs in the US; it provides $91.1billion to the US economy and gives almost 8,000,000 Americans a job.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   
And the whole thing is PURE BS. There's no TERRORISM. NO TERRORISM AT ALL.

The only real terrorists attacks were in Glasgow by 2 retards and they nearly killed themselves. The other guy in the shopping center who nearly killed himself... ect... 911 was an inside job, the bombings in London too, the ``blowing 10 airplanes with liquid explosives`` plot was UTTER BS.

The whole thing is a freaking joke. One more liberty go to trash! YAY!

caitlinfae: If this does happen, well you're farked.

And this whole thing is a training for the slaves. We are like rats in a laboratory, when it comes the time that they want to kill the rats, they will just use biological weapons against us and claim it was Al-Qaeda.

I've just looked at the statistics, there's over 29k planes coming in the US every year. That means at least 4.35 million people in the US every year at about 150 people/plane. Yeah, that will sure give people jobs... jobs in Homeland Insecurity Of Slavery.

[edit on 3-6-2008 by Vitchilo]

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Vichillo...I couldn't agree more...yet more stuff we're not allowed to cos they say we're dangerous. Up till now I was mildly annoyed by the manipulation that is so clearly going on all around us...(do they really think we are all dumb enough not to notice?!)...now, with this little gem of a plan, I'm starting to feel real anger. But that's a good thing....

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
UK citizens already have to provide personal details to the Spanish authorities prior to travel due to some multi-nation deal that the UK didn't sign up to. These details have to be provided 24 hours before travelling in some cases.

Probably the reason for this is because Europe, and particularly the UK, are hotbeds of fanaticism. Arab and middle eastern countries begged the UK not to give convicted terrorists asylum but Thatcher's policy was to have them here where she could keep an eye on them. Unfortunately nobody did keep an eye on them and years of pussyfooting and eggshell treading has led to the situation where fanatics can hold rallies in the centre of London, openly urging death and destruction with little or no recourse from the law.

It's true that anyone intent on causing mass casualties to US citizens can do so via Mexico or Canada. However terrorists will use the easiest and most accessible manner, which happens to be transatlantic flights. Security in european airports is a joke as anyone who travels frequently can verify.

There have now been a number of incidents and near misses where the perps have been converts, thus making profiling next to useless. This means we're now all under suspicion. These 72 hours, my friends, will be spent looking at your patterns of travel, criminal record, faith, associates and anything else that may be relevant.

Completing visas 72 hours before travel will not harm tourism in the slightest. A holiday in the US is, for some, a dream come true. People will put up with any amount of paperwork and harrassment if they've spent 2 years saving for it because the minute they walk out into that luggage hall the whole rotten experience will be forgotten. And in any event one registration allows multiple entries over a two year period.

If anything's going to harm tourism in the US it'll be the increasing flight costs.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I know a lot of English/Scottish/Irish people pretty well... Sad thing, I have been with my company for a few years, and it just seems lately they don't want to go to the US anymore. There are still the few strange who want to, but they definitely for the most part, enjoy Spain these days.

If I remember right, a British friend of mine wouldn't come visit me because of hassles at the airport, including an X-ray machine that shows him naked? LOL

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
They don't know the meaning of hassle unless they've been to Heraklion Airport, Crete! Such is the ordeal of Heraklion that people refuse to fly there. Being questioned, fingerprinted, iris-photographed and x-rayed is a luxury compared to the horror that is Heraklion.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Is this because of the dangers of Black pudding (I think you call it blood sausage in the US) and Haggis!! I can imagine it now, a US airport security guard before the change "Sir are you from the UK?", Vistor "Yes", Guard "do you mind if I check your luggage", sound of an opening suitcase. Guard "Everyone get down he's got Haggis!!". Now they have 3 days to prep the airport security!!

I think these security measures are now going a bit to far both in the US and here in the UK.

[edit on 3-6-2008 by Kurokage]

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
For many years, UK citizens flying to the US had to have a visa for even a short stay, but US citizens didn't need one for the UK.

That changed a few years ago.

Now I say we do one of 2 things - either demand the same, or just don't bother going.

It's going to be pretty difficult to afford the flights soon anyway - people should stay at home and spend their tourism money on visiting some of the UK's area's of outstanding natural beauty.

Or maybe not - where I live has loads of tourists in the summer and they dirve me bloody mad

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Yes, I'm so worried about Brits being terrorists.

In the meantime, illegals pour over our southern border with impunity. Worried about terrorism? Our government certainly isn't worried as long as our borders remain open and porous.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
And here is the official announcement:

The US is to tighten visa restrictions to allow it to screen all short-term visitors from Japan and Western Europe.

US Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said visitors to the US who do not need visas will be required to register with the government online.

The security regulation, set to begin next year, will require visitors to register three days before they visit.

The online registration will remain valid for a two-year period, Mr Chertoff said.
US to tighten visa restrictions

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

If anyone cn find the list of 27 countries that would be cool!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join