It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WTH is visiting me at night????

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
That does not prove what it is, that only shows what can cause it to happen, or what happens to your brain while it happens.

Right?

Well we know what causes the paralysis, but what causes the paralysis to not wear off immediately upon arousal is a trickier subject because it can vary. I assume you mean that we don’t know what causes the disorder in some people, not what causes the actual paralysis. The actual paralysis is a natural thing that happens to all normal people, it protects you while in REM Sleep. As I stated before, it not wearing off as quickly as it should can be from a number of causes including diet, medication, sleep apnea (causing you to wake rapidly from REM), or other issues. Anyone can actually have an episode of Sleep Paralysis Disorder at some point in their life.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Yes interesting, but what I'm trying to say is , when it happens, are you seeing something real, or is it simply an hallucination.

Of course your brain can cause it to happen, but so can getting hit by a baseball bat, your brain can cause that pain to happen. Does that mean the baseball bat is also not real? Get my point?
I'm saying this is something that is hard to figure out.

Read my last post for more info.

[edit on 3-6-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
OK, I can't recall my password. This is limousinemouse. I'll cut to the end. This has happened to me. Precisely the same thing and I'm getting tired of this same conversation over and over on ATS. While I think you should certainly see your doctor first, second I think we should all start considering a strategy if these experiences are not health related. I'm healthy as hell. I was doing some pretty deep meditation one day (I won't go into it now) and that evening I had my first and only experience. The description is fairly similar although there was only one of 'them' and I wasn't being held down, though I was paralysed and completely petrified. If I hadn't been paralysed I'd've gone through the window, that's how insanely afraid I was. Little guy: greyish green, large black round eyes. 5 fingers. I remember that because he seemed to be pulling the duvet from me. I could feel it brushing across my shoulder and I was insane with fright. Incredible experience and nobody takes me seriously. I swear I was awake. I could even see the moonlight reflecting off the little guy's forehead. He had brown mottled freckles for #s sake. Oh and tiny little dolls hands with blackish fingernails.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Stanford Article.

In some cases, when hypnogogic hallucinations are present, people feel that someone is in the room with them, some experience the feeling that someone or something is sitting on their chest and they feel impending death and suffocation. That has been called the “Hag Phenomena” and has been happening to people over the centuries. These things cause people much anxiety and terror, but there is no physical harm.

That article is a good description. The "Hag Phenomena" is apparently what happened to me. I thought I would die if I could not move and stop the entity I thought was in the room from killing me. It was like fighting an epoch battle over and over again.

It troubles me just remembering this as vividly as I am right now. One thing is for sure, it is not a thing to keep inside. Once I knew the truth I was able to deal with it. The treatment then was mainly the knowledge that it was not real. I'm glad to hear it is now taken seriously.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

It troubles me just remembering this as vividly as I am right now. One thing is for sure, it is not a thing to keep inside. Once I knew the truth I was able to deal with it. The treatment then was mainly the knowledge that it was not real. I'm glad to hear it is now taken seriously.

Yes but could you show me proof that it's not real, like a link or something? Please. Thanks.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
reply to post by Blaine91555

I am not giving bad advice, I have not gave him ANY avice, all I'm saying is you still don't know exactly what it is, right?

Actually that was not directed at you, but at some earlier posts. You are just asking questions.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
It’s a hallucination that is caused by the chemicals that are emitted in your brain. Basically you are dreaming even though you are not fully asleep at the time. As I have to go to sleep now myself I’ll point you to a paper on the topic rather then try and explain it.

NEUROPHYSIOLOGY OF DREAMS

The hallucinatory images depicted in dreams seem to be attributed to chemical changes within the brain from non- REM sleep to REM (Rapid-Eye-Movement) sleep. During the transition, neurotransmitters such as serotonin and aceytlcholine fluctuate opening gateways into the limbic system and inhibiting the cognitive cortex. Several areas of the brain have been analyzed by PET scan imaging showing specifically which areas of the brain are activated by hormone enriched cerebral blood flow. There is evidence of a negative feedback loop involving activation and inhibition of the prefrontal cortices during the non-REM-to-REM transition. The prefrontal cortices are involved in the highest order processing of neural information, integrating sensory signals, organizing, temporally sequenced behavioral responses and subserving working memory. (Braun, Balkin, Westensten, Carson, Varga, Baldwin, Selbie, Belenky and Herscovitch, 1997). Several cerebral cascade events stem from this interaction producing muscle atonia, bursts of rapid eye movements, inhibition of language centers and a fluctuation disturbance in the sensory areas of the brain.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Actually that was not directed at you, but at some earlier posts. You are just asking questions.

OK sorry, my mistake.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

It appears that you have made up your mind. You won't accept the explanation from Defcon5 who appears to be an expert in that field and you won't take the opinion of someone who went through this; what more is there? You want the answer to be one thing and I know it is another.

Had I not gone to my Parents who wisely got me good medical advice, my experience could have been worse. Had I confided in someone who convinced me it was something other-worldly, it could have done me great harm. That is my concern in this case and for this person who I should apologize too for discussing while they are in the room so to speak.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

I have not made my mind up actually, you two guys seem to have thou.

I'm just suprised that you both seem to take it as fact, the proof he shows us appears to only show what happens to the brain when you dream, that does not make it any less real. Because things happen to your brain right now reading this text. So I guess this is also not real.

But like I said, I'm not sure..... I have not made my mind up about anything. you have lol

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Hi I haven't read the whole thread but I have an important question for you. Have you been playing with a Oujia board? I ask because I know for a fact it can cause this. It happened to me.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Andre, my friend, I can saw without a shred of doubt what you are experiencing is classic sleep paralysis.

I've "suffered" from it my entire adult life. I've experienced the same things you have. Sometimes, I won't even realize I've fallen asleep, so it will seem that it is happening while I'm still awake.

Various things can influence an attack, be it stress, exhaustion, what you've ate, and your sleeping position. I have attacks, generally, when I roll on to my back in my sleep.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   

I understand. I can only go based on my experience with this. I think a full understanding of the functions of the brain are probably one of the most complex medical science faces. I think most of us are here on ATS looking for answers to things we don't understand.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Double post.

Sorry.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   

I understand. I can only go based on my experience with this. I think a full understanding of the functions of the brain are probably one of the most complex medical science faces. I think most of us are here on ATS looking for answers to things we don't understand.

Yeah, I know how you feel thou, I have also experienced it a few times.

It can be very scary. But fear makes it worse in my experience, last time it happened I just focused on attacking it, I did not fear, I just made it scared instead lol. I appeared to come out of my body and went towards it attacking, and I suddenly became free from paralysis in an instant, and got up and put the light on.

Other times I have had plenty of sleep paralysis without any "scary" hallucinations or whatever it is, and I can OBE from this condition, actually this is the way I always OBE. Mind awake, body asleep.

By the way not saying OBE is real, I'm still not sure, but it sure feels damn real!!! Gravity force when flying, emotions, touch, hear etc.

I'm actually making my own experiment to find out thou, not going to blindly believe don't worry.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by andre18

I don't know about these "things" that you're talking about, but the smae thing happens to me if I leave a light on.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by andre18

It was a demon. I Had it happen to me and the only thing that saved me was my ask for gods help.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by andre18

This is a state where you are semi awake and asleep, I have this condition seriously worse than others. This happened to me when I lived alone years ago, but in this dream or awake state I thought someone was in the room with me this seemed real up to the point I went for my 357 magnum with hollow point rounds and fired into what appeared to be a tall shadow figure that came at me. This was done in a room around 10x11. I was'nt sure until I was married what was happening, I woke my wife during an episode where she awakened me.Now I seem to be more aware and its not a scary as before. OH yea I no longer keep a loaded weapon close to the bed.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sky watcher
reply to post by andre18

It was a demon. I Had it happen to me and the only thing that saved me was my ask for gods help.

Ok what we have hear is a classic case of BS! We don't need to know made up stories about "Demons" because that is in your head, and "Gods" There is no explanation as to what is going on here, however have you tried dream recall? i think that there is something extremely troubling you, and the only way to get it out is to harm your inner body as a relief.

I recomend doing this dream recall thing to see and maybe note what it is thats happening whilst you are in this "Trancy Paralyse" state. I think you will be pleased with the end result! just google it and teach yourself.

Here are a few links i found:

Dream #1

Dream #2

Dream #3

[edit on 3-6-2008 by Ryan Lloyd]

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

That does not explain it. With my episode and it sounds like the op had the same thing happen is that it feels like someone is sitting on your chest and you can not breath or move your arms like you have three people trying to hold you down while one sits on your chest. It is terrifying and not a dream.

It happened right around were I went from not to religious to very so maybe it was some threat from Satan, Who knows?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join