It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WTH is visiting me at night????

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
The noises that people are hearing are auditory hallucinations that are part of hypnogognea, they are similar to the way that people experience hypnic jerks when entering stage one sleep. A hypnic jerk is when someone feels like they are falling and they suddenly jump in their sleep. Enveloping or overwhelming sound is called “Exploding Head Syndrome” but again is a form of hypnogognea.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Strange you say that.

Only thing i can say is if it's a auditory hallucinogenic experiance then why do my whole familly hear them ?

Thats another 4 peaple you know.

Also add the fact we are wide awake.

Are you shure your not just grasping for an explanation ?

Take care.

Regards
Lee

[edit on 3-6-2008 by h3akalee]

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by h3akalee

Well maybe in that instance it is something environmental, but that does not in any way invalidate what I stated above. Auditory Hallucinations are documented during sleep onset, including overwhelming sounds that can be almost painful.

Oh, and no I am not grasping for an explanation, I deal with sleep disorders on a regular basis…

[edit on 6/3/2008 by defcon5]

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I think that unless one find's one's self in such a predicament then they will have very limited understanding of what's actually going on.

No matter how qualified they are in any given field.

Take care.

Regards
Lee

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
You are describing Sleep Paralysis. I went through that for years as a child. Your description is accurate. It is also often called Night Terror's.

DO NOT get your medical advice on ATS. See an MD who specializes in this. This can cause you all sorts of issues. I made the STUPID mistake of hiding it from everyone when I was a kid and suffered needlessly for two years.

Don't let anyone trick you into thinking this is some sort or Demonic or Alien Visitation nonsense. It is a fairly common problem and one that can be solved.

I did not read the other pages, so if this is repeating what someone else told you, that is a good thing because this will reinforce it. It is common enough when I saw the thread title I knew what it was before reading your description. I've been there so I know what you are going through.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by andre18
And just to make it clear, I truly believe I’m being visited by something real what ever it may be. What I’m experiencing is no dream or fantasy illusion.

Everyone who suffers from this thinks that. I thought the same and was so scared I did not even tell my Parents.

I'm sorry to say this but don't let the fantasies of others on this board influence you. You are not being visited by anything.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by h3akalee
I think that unless one find's one's self in such a predicament then they will have very limited understanding of what's actually going on.

No matter how qualified they are in any given field.

Unless of course one works in a field where they hear this same complaints night after night, and see first hand what the underlying cause is. Sorry if they are not paranormal enough for you.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by andre18

I know for a fact I’m not going through sleep paralyses because on occasions these visits happen before I’ve even fallen asleep.

[edit on 3-6-2008 by sanctum]

Sleep paralysis can happen just before you fall asleep, thats how people can OBE, from that situation.

I've had experiences with this both from waking up or starting to fall asleep.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
It could be sleep paralysis or it could be something else, it depends on what you believe and from what I have read of your replies, perhaps you should try some alternative methods to stop these episodes from happening.

Sleep with a (closed) pocket/pen knife under your pillow
Cleanse your room/home (search for spiritual/ritual cleansing)
Try meditation before going to sleep
Are you religious? Add a religious object artifact to your room near your bed.
Try a mantra/prayer that you repeat as you fall asleep

and if all fails, then see a doctor.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Defcon5 is giving good advice and you should pay attention too it. Ignore the other nonsense.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
You are describing Sleep Paralysis. I went through that for years as a child. Your description is accurate. It is also often called Night Terror's.

Blaine, good and accurate post.

Only thing that I disagree with is that Night Terrors and Sleep Paralysis are the same thing. Though they might seem somewhat similar, they happen in different stages of sleep. Night Terrors happen in stage three and four slow wave sleep, and sleep paralysis happens in REM sleep. Night Terrors normally go away on their own with age because the percentage of time spent in slow wave sleep decreases. With Night Terrors the person is hard to rouse, but normally will not recall anything specific about the event.

[edit on 6/3/2008 by defcon5]

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Im not hear to argue with you im hear to try and offer help to the OP.

What has it got to do with this being paranormal enough for me ?

Quit your jibber jabber and grow up please it's pathetic.

Take care.

Regards
Lee

[edit on 3-6-2008 by h3akalee]

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Yes it's probably sleep parylysis, but don't think you know exactly what sleep parylisis is, nobody really knows, what you might see might not all be an hallucination, who really knows? maybe you see into another world, the astral, dream world.

Just saying, none of us can be really sure right now.

[edit on 3-6-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Anyway if you guys read sleep paralysis on wiki, it's got some good info, you can get it as you fall asleep or as you wake up. The word nightmare is believed to come from the experience of sleep paralysis and having something in the room with you or sitting on top of your chest.

Check it out.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

Actually, we know exactly what causes it to occur because we have studied the opposite effects on subjects who are unable to emit the chemical required to cause paralysis in REM stage sleep (REM Atonia).

Rapid eye movement (REM) sleep behavior disorder (RBD) is a newly described disorder, recognized as a distinct clinical entity following a series of reports in 1986 of adults with RBD. RBD is the best-studied REM sleep parasomnia. Clinically, RBD is characterized by loss of normal voluntary muscle atonia during REM sleep associated with complex behavior while dreaming. According to the International Classification of Sleep Disorders, the minimal diagnostic criteria include movements of the body or limbs associated with dreaming and at least one of the following criteria: potentially harmful sleep behavior, dreams that appear to be acted out, and sleep behavior that disrupts sleep continuity (American Sleep Disorders Association, 1997). In 1965, experimental models showed that cats with bilateral pontine lesions adjacent to the locus ceruleus act out their dreams.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

Yes it's probably sleep parylysis, but don't think you know exactly what sleep parylisis is, nobody really knows,

That was 40 years ago and I still remember vivid details. Once I got help and realized I was not possessed or fighting with demons, that was half the battle. The fear went away and took all the teethe out of it.

Advising this person to do anything other than seek medical advice from people who know what they are dealing with is criminal in my mind.

Defcon5,
Thanks for the info. It's good you were here so this person could at least consider good advice.

This is nothing to play with. I thought I was literally fighting for my life every night. Had I not got help it could have caused me more harm than it did. I would try and stay up all night out of fear and that just made it worse. I'd hate to see that happen to someone else because of bad advice.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

That does not prove what it is, that only shows what can cause it to happen, or what happens to your brain while it happens.

Right?

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Here:

This atonia results from active inhibition of motor activity by pontine centers (ie, perilocus ceruleus) that exert an excitatory influence on the medulla (ie, magnocellularis neurons) via the lateral tegmentoreticular tract. These neuronal groups, in turn, hyperpolarize the spinal motor neuron postsynaptic membranes via the ventrolateral reticulospinal tract.

Sounds to me like they know exactly what causes the paralysis…

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   

I am not giving bad advice, I have not gave him ANY avice, all I'm saying is you still don't know exactly what it is, right?

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Yes but is that what causes it, or is that what happens to your brain when it happens.

For example, take your eyes, when you look at things, your brain processes it, if you were to study the brain when you look at things with your eyes, you will see what your brain does, does that mean just because your brain is causing you to SEE, what you are readin now is because of your brain! does that mean your hallucinating because of what your eyes are seeing? or are you actually reading this, is this text real?

Anyway I would love to read more of that quote, have you got a link?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join