It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS points undermining ATS!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 11:34 PM
link   
OK this is just for discusion, and to be perfectly honest I could care less one way or the other but here it goes...

Whats with these things? I am fairly new to this sight (though not as new as my "ATS points" suggest), and am under the impression that you can "purchase" things with these points. But what the hell - how are they given out? Why have them at all? There is the "way above top secret" forum.......well are there certain people who for some reason should be allowed to talk about stuff the rest of us shouldn't? What gives with this? Is there some conspiracy that the rest of us arent ready for yet? This seems very elitist to me, which seems like the exact opposite of what this sight is meant to represent!

Anyways, any comments?

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man

OK this is just for discusion, and to be perfectly honest I could care less one way or the other but here it goes...

Whats with these things? I am fairly new to this sight (though not as new as my "ATS points" suggest), and am under the impression that you can "purchase" things with these points. But what the hell - how are they given out? Why have them at all? There is the "way above top secret" forum.......well are there certain people who for some reason should be allowed to talk about stuff the rest of us shouldn't? What gives with this? Is there some conspiracy that the rest of us arent ready for yet? This seems very elitist to me, which seems like the exact opposite of what this sight is meant to represent!

Anyways, any comments?

Rats blocks search engines. and trust me your not missing much. You do not get any points for BTS. And different forums carry different points.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 11:44 PM
link   
why block search engines?

and like i said i really dont care - i just found it kind of ironic.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Whats with these things? I am fairly new to this sight (though not as new as my "ATS points" suggest), and am under the impression that you can "purchase" things with these points. But what the hell - how are they given out?Based on quality of your posts, mainly responses and rankings. You also recieve points if your voted for in the Way above top secret award. Why have them at all?Allows you to purchase more u2u space, download space and etc, otherwise we would have a massive bandwith problem from everyone jumping at once to get the new items when they may or may not be around for long. There is the "way above top secret" forum.......well are there certain people who for some reason should be allowed to talk about stuff the rest of us shouldn't? What gives with this? Is there some conspiracy that the rest of us arent ready for yet?Nope, just to keep smurfs and posters who arent around long from ruining a forum or adding nonsense threads. This seems very elitist to me, which seems like the exact opposite of what this sight is meant to represent!

Anyways, any comments?If your interested in staying you will have no problems in any of the areas you asked about, the main reason for the points is to allow members who actually do post to gain benefit from all there effort and time.

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Why block search engines... obviously if a person has something to say that they want to be kept private.

If you don't really care, why do you respond with more questions....

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Although points as a reward for contributing to the ATS forum is a good thing. I think it gives people a goal to reach. If a person accumulated a mass of points to access that forum they would be more likely to stick with ATS because they wouldn't want to throw away something they worked hard to get. It's just good business.

[Edited on 5-3-2004 by kinglizard]

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Personally I use the points to gauge how I have been contributing to the site.

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I think that the way the points are used here is quite interesting. I was only on one other forum with points for which you could 'buy' cds, but the cds always sucked anyway!

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Is there some conspiracy that the rest of us arent ready for yet? This seems very elitist to me, which seems like the exact opposite of what this sight is meant to represent!

Anyways, any comments?

Conspiracy? Well, there's the Dead Zone, and then the whole *SC* thing, if you want to think about that kind of stuff.
Old news.

And as far as points and elitism are concerned, there are those who consider themselves elite because of their points, but there is no concensus among members backing that up, unless there is a conspiracy among certain mods and administrators!

But you'll eventually find that administration of this site is focused, and moderation is fair, sometimes hard.
This ensures a quality site, which is why I'm here (too much).

Personally, I think we should gamble with our points.

DeltaChaos

[Edited on 5-3-2004 by DeltaChaos]

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 01:05 PM
link   
To hell with the points, two words,,,,STRIP POKER.

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   

There is the "way above top secret" forum.......well are there certain people who for some reason should be allowed to talk about stuff the rest of us shouldn't? What gives with this? Is there some conspiracy that the rest of us arent ready for yet? This seems very elitist to me, which seems like the exact opposite of what this sight is meant to represent!

I was on another forum with an 'actual' secret forum within it that most did not know about. Someone squeled after a while and everyone began screaming 'Elitist'! I understood the view point of others on this, but you are not blocked out of the 'secret' forum here. You only need to show that you are serious and commited to the ideals within the spirit of the forum...or make a lot of crap posts.

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Maybe AMM is trying to gain points by creating an argument?

Although the points system may seem strange for any newb1es, the sstem works effectivly enough that the board is now in far better state than it wa this time last year.

Apart from the few point whores, people seem to appreciate the gaining of points to redeem for benefits and those who have accrued enough get beyond worrying about it anyway.

Originally posted by SimonGray

Why block search engines... obviously if a person has something to say that they want to be kept private.

If you don't really care, why do you respond with more questions....

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Points do not make the poster nor the member.
What I do find ironic, in regards to points, is the amount of hashed and re-hashed topic/threads that deal with matters previosuly discussed and only slightly different in content and "wrapping".

Nonetheless, points are insignificant and if a member thinks that points are a "big deal"..I urge that they reconsider this. Respect is not earned by the number of points a member may have, it comes through quality comments and postings, through the creation of well researched and made topics and threads and can be applied to comments.
Points are for the fun stuff that we can currently buy and future things to come.

Just my honest opinion and is subject to rhetoric and disagreement.

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 5-3-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Here we go again...

Seriously, I think users should have the ability to exchange points. This way I could terrorize users into giving me their points. (j/k)

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Points are for the fun stuff that we can currently buy and future things to come in the future.

How about an ATS coffee trough or a T-shirt. Or a plush ATS alien doll!!!

I think we should get pools going on the future outcome of current events. That would give us something to do with the points!

I was once admonished for 'not having enough points' when I made what I thought was a crucial statement regarding the quality of this site. Aparrently, some of us do feel that points make them more worthy (of something?).

DeltaChaos

[Edited on 5-3-2004 by DeltaChaos]

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
If that's what they feel then they aren't getting the point and enjoying ATS less that they could be because their focus is off.

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   
To me, points are just like money, I'm never able to keep them lol...

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaChaos

How about an ATS coffee trough or a T-shirt. Or a plush ATS alien doll!!!

I think we should get pools going on the future outcome of current events. That would give us something to do with the points!

I was once admonished for 'not having enough points' when I made what I thought was a crucial statement regarding the quality of this site. Aparrently, some of us do feel that points make them more worthy (of something?).

DeltaChoas

The concept of T-shirts and/or mugs, etc. has been discussed, sadly, with no confirmation of intent yet. Keep your fingers crossed.

As to a betting pool for future events....I think this was discussed but nothing definitive was gained and thus, died.

As to this:
"I was once admonished for 'not having enough points' when I made what I thought was a crucial statement regarding the quality of this site. Aparrently, some of us do feel that points make them more worthy (of something?)."

I would blow it off. You have to understand that to few, points does mean seniority and such. Tell'em to blow it out their collective arse.

I did not come here for points....when I came here, there were no points. Nonetheless, I wouldn't let it phase you from stimulating and informative conversation(s). I remember an old song by Kansas (?) with the wording: ....carry on wayward son... Blah, blah....something like that, but it seemed fitting for commenting.

regards
seekerof

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
I remember an old song by Kansas (?) with the wording: ....carry on wayward son... Blah, blah....something like that, but it seemed fitting for commenting.

HOW BUH-ZARRE. I've had that song in my head for a month...was just air-guitaring the mean bass lick not two minutes ago against my better judgement. So it's KANSAS is it? I was wondering who did this to me.

Note: I'm not partial to "art rock" but "art rock" is partial to me.

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man I am fairly new to this sight
It's amazing how often we experience newcomers to this web site who, after mere weeks, suddenly have commentary on long-established systems and policies. 1) Points are a function of your contribution to the conspiracy topic forums. 2) More points are earned by participating in debates or research projects. Some of our newer members also seemed to find fault with our long-established policies on one-line (or less) posts and excessive quoting. As NC pointed out, this time last year the boars were in a sorry state with chaos and mayhem a common every-day occurrence. With improved technology and clear rules (with clear punishment guidelines) we've been able to grow to the point were we generally have a fine level of discussion and decorum, even at a pace of more than 2,000 posts a day. Few boards (if any) can boast that.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join