It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not Created/Formed, Destroyed, or Not Yet Created/Formed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
If you noticed cetian things have opposites.

Is it possible that the things that dont have opposites currently:

A) had opposites at some point long ago that didnt make it in mother nature for us humans to get to see those very opposites? Yes or no?

B) would have opposites but they didnt get to be put in the forming of this planet called Earth to why everything doesnt have an opposite? Yes or no?

C) shall have opposites at some point at the right moment? Yes or no?

Think about this... The opposite for a lime is a lemon. Even the colors are opposite on them. Anyway, that's a double. There are things with three opposites such as the apple. You have the red apple, the yellow apple, and the green apple. They taste opposite each other in that they surely dont taste the same. Two of them have acceptable opposite colors...the green and the yellow apple. Is there a missing blue apple to be opposite the red apple? Or, is red's other opposite green?

But what's the opposite of a carat, a pinnapple, and also certain colors (such as purple)? Something in mother nature is missing. It's up to us to figure it all out in this new science I coin as "Missology". The whole basis thread to Missology lies on a theory that every single thing that seems to not have an opposite has an opposite in the grand cosmic design that is just missing from the scene that's in man's eyes. For all we know a blue apple could have formed on another planet. Or, it's seed, so to speak, with the blue print to forming it, lies in, say, Mars, waiting to be replanted by man to here on earth so that it can then form indeed under the conditions right for life.

The right conditions may not be right on other planets that do hold things in wait that are not formed here on earth currenly which could turn out to only form here on earth if we see to it, you know?

Anyway, what do you think of Missology getting recognized as a new science in the science world? Should it even be a science?

It would give NASA something to do such as replant the ingredience of possible things of life and non-life from other planets and moons to here on earth to mix with things of earth to see what shall become. Hell, the cure for a certain disease could be a plant not yet formed on some other planet which we would have to bring here to cause to form with natural earth addatives. Show an alien ingredient a lil earthly love and a lot could happen, wouldnt you think?

[edit on 2-6-2008 by Mabus]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I am not sure Missology is a good name for it, but it should be something good to talk about in philosophical discussions. It would be fun to think about, especially if the practicality of discovering an opposite helps society in some way. But there is another possibility. With organics, there might have been opposites that either

1. Micro evolved into something that looks nothing, and has no characteristics of the original.
2. Being an opposite, died out because it was either liked too much i.e. eaten, or not able to become strong enough to sustain it's life.

With non organics, this would be something really cool to think about. Say with Nuclear energy, what's the opposite? Or does it have a less lethal cousin, stronger or weaker. Is the opposite of a black hole, a white hole? If so, what is it? I think there could be a lot of great uses from this. With science, if we never think about the opposite of something being studied, can we truly know everything useful from it?

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
"missology" is a good name..
but we are missing more than an opposite I think..how about adding another element?
green isn't really an opposite to yellow..only in color schemes..
yellow is opposite to red is opposite to blue is opposite to yellow..
color in nature really has no opposite..that would be black and white..
life is not a line, it's a circle..so much evidence there..
that black and white..back and forth..positive and negative..is really too narrow of a search..think in triangles..then your opposites will have motion..and life..back and forth is just a dead end..don't you think?
~pccat

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
A note on color:

Light color (non-matter) and material color (matter) may have their differences in what might be their opposites. Surely a yellow lemon is the opposite in color to a green lime. Mother nature surely has different opposites for different things (matter and non-matter). A lemon and a lime are in basics similar, but are in opposite in specifics.

There is a principle that must be applied when dealing with which opposites, or else, you might say the opposite of a lemon is no lemon. That would be of course if you're looking at material as an opposite to non-material. Something may be similar in basics, but different in specifics. The specifics being opposite is what makes something opposite in like what is called a context. In another general sense, you have anything living the opposite anything non-living... organic opposite non-organic... etc. There must be a line drawn and a balance in what one is getting at in opposites, as you see.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Mabus

I...

Er...

I'm not even sure where to begin. I don't want to sound like a jerk about it, but there are so many things wrong with your proposition that it's almost impossible to respond to it without wandering down the garden path into abject madness. I actually kind of have to commend you on that.

Forgive my ignorance, but why must a pineapple have an opposite? It almost sounds like a zen riddle: "What is the opposite of a pineapple?" I'm also baffled as to how you determined that yellow and green are opposites. On a color wheel (which is merely a human convention itself) red is opposite green and purple is opposite yellow. And there we have your answer to the question of purple's opposite.

Please don't take offense, I'm merely proposing that your conception of opposites may be somewhat misinformed. I'll give you that there are certain realms of physics where dualities and symmetries exist: matter and antimatter have opposite electromagnetic charges, time is perceived to flow toward increased entropy, gravity polarizes the experience of planetary life into subjective "up" and "down". And in the more familiar realms of biology there are opposites: male and female, the perception of hot and cold, complementary flavors such as bitter/sweet and sour/salt. But as far as oppositeness as an inherent trait in the world outside of human sensory systems, it just doesn't make much sense. Lemons and limes, for instance, are the seed containers for two very closely related types of trees. I'm no botanist, but I'd even assume the two varietals could produce viable offspring. The difference in the color of their fruit is incidental. Green pigmentation in plants is caused by chlorophyll, yellow by xanthophyll. If anything lemons and limes are the opposite of opposites. They are practically the same fruit.

You are right though to say that there is "something missing", but it is not in nature itself but in the human sensory reality with which we are familiar. Everything we know is filtered, organized and interpreted by our senses and brains. Such concepts as color, temperature, all forms of taxonomic organization, the base-10 system of numbering, moralistic notions of right and wrong -- these are all human constructs without inherent reality in the world outside our senses. Sure, the familiar colors correspond to wavelengths of light and temperature to the vibrational rate of atoms, but even "light", "wavelength" and "atom" are human concepts that refer only obliquely to anything "real". Even the ideas of "real" and "unreal" are not... well... "real. And so maybe you can see how consideration of these things can ultimately lead only to a recursive loop of navel-gazing.

For fear of sounding conceited, I applaud your curious spirit, but I'm afraid I must dash your hopes of seeing "missology" recognized as a science. Particle physics and chemistry seem to suffice nicely when it comes to exploring the ingredients of the unknown and uncategorized.

new topics

top topics

join