It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Late Spring Writing Contest. (LSWC)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
reply to post by Desert Dawg

you could of course get your writer status here and pen your own work without being constrained by things in the writing contest. Doesnt mean you HAVE to write those things. It's a challenge to write something good while working within a certain amount of peramiters.

This is what we all came up with for this particular writing contest and I think that because everyone had an oppertunity to voice their opinion on what constraints to use that it is all fair all good and all in good fun.

I could just write a story about anything. Just put it out there. However within this writing contest we get a little guidance and perameters to have to meet and go by.

As far as using a word processor goes that does sometimes cause problems but if you know how it's going to behave when you copy and paste the text then you should be able to correct it in the word program.

Its all fun and it's all interesting. So join in and have a good time with it.

I admit to being a touch confused about posting a work . . . whether for the contest or just tossing a story out there.
Where would I post a story?

Getting a writer status here?
How would I do that?

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   

worldwatcher, Masqua, *and aparently intrepid (
)

U2U one of these forum moderators and they can set you up toot sweet.
They are both really nice and will set you up with your writer status. As for where to post your stories this is the correct forum or in collaborative writing if you have a team of writers working with you.

It's great fun and you get to be creative.

*edit to add mean ol canadian guy

[edit on 6/6/2008 by whatukno]

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Desert Dawg
How would I do that?

It's done.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by Desert Dawg
How would I do that?

It's done.

Thanks to you both.

I'll try to get one posted later this afternoon . . . when I'm back from the market with Sweetie.

We'll be looking to see if there are any tomatoes....

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Let the writer decide what he or she wants to include in the story.

I like having a topic of some sort. Keeps my brain from leaking too much, all over the place.

EDIT to add: And if you think this topic is tough, try writing something about being alone in a strange place. That was a tough one, but I fared quite well in the end.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 6/7/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Sorry guys, busy as hell. No length limit but it can't be a snippet.

OH, OHHH..Now you tell me! After I spent two whole minutes writing

Originally posted by Cadbury

And Mr. Wupy, thank you for the clarification. I'd like to ask if you used any profanity at all?

Actually I did. Since the story has now been deleted from the boards I have no problem sending you a link to it from another site. Just don't try posting ANYTHING like it here. I'm surprised I wasn't banned for that act of stupidity. Send me a U2U if you'd like the link, just keep in mind, it's graphic.

Now, writers have often been given a little leeway when it comes to creativity, but you should do your best to stay within the T&C's of the board, regardless.

If in doubt you could always run it by a mod first. That beats the heck out of getting a warning or worse. In the end it's the mods decision, I do not speak for ATS or claim too.

I'm just sharing some of my experiences here.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy

Originally posted by Cadbury

And Mr. Wupy, thank you for the clarification. I'd like to ask if you used any profanity at all?

Actually I did. Since the story has now been deleted from the boards I have no problem sending you a link to it from another site. Just don't try posting ANYTHING like it here. I'm surprised I wasn't banned for that act of stupidity. Send me a U2U if you'd like the link, just keep in mind, it's graphic.

Expect a u2u momentarily. My entry is up, now, by the way. Feel free to read it, good Sir.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Okay, I have a few questions.

I'm assuming the regular T & C rules apply, language, as well as keeping to the conforming on ATS rules, correct?

No curse words, correct?

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I was just cogitating about the law regarding borrowing existing characters from literature, television and film?

What also about extremely vicious libel and defamation against, say, specific members of the British Royal Family?

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

If it's pertainant and not gratuitous the T&C is slightly more lax in creative writing.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   

reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

If it's pertainant and not gratuitous the T&C is slightly more lax in creative writing.

Cool. Thanks for the heads up. It's not necessarily pertinent to the story, more for emphasis, but I can understand creative writing as well as leeway.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Just a heads up:

How not to lose your work.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Your mission if you choose to accept it will to be to incorporate these five elements into your story:

1- A telephone call.
2- A mode of transportation
3- Discussion with a parent(living or dead)
4- Contact with an authority figure
5- A party of any kind

I was reading the story element suggestions, and a thought occurred to me. Isn't a discussion with a parent essentially the same thing as contact with an authority figure? A parent is, after all, an authority figure. In that case, fulfilling story element no. 3 should automatically satisfy no. 4..

Sorry if I'm getting too technical.

[edit on 8-6-2008 by Flatwoods]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Wanted to let you know I am still in, just collecting the information downloads for the next story.

Titles: * Random Planet * or * Time of Gathering * or * The Ring *

I was not so sure about this in the beginning, but really it could turn out to be very fun to work within the outline...

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Have to say some very interesting reads goin on in this contest. Makes me gratefull for such a place for people to be able to read these facinating stories.

Thanks for setting this up Intrepid.
These are some really fun reads.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
AHHHHHHHH after such a long time i decided to write another story.

It is VERY VERY short
Enjoy it hehehe

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Ok, so my first ever effort at a short story is up now. I think I posted it in the right place. is there anything else I have to do????????

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
One month until deadline, Ladies and Gentlemen.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I am woking on it. Time is difficult for me just now...

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Ok here it is, left out quite a bit, but decided to leave the gore for another story, another time...

Thanks for letting me again be part of this wonderful forum and rise to a challenge with my peers.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join