It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Blackwater buys Brazilian-made fighter plane

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Report: Blackwater buys Brazilian-made fighter plane

www.usatoday.com

SAO PAULO, Brazil (AP) — A subsidiary of U.S. military security contractor Blackwater Worldwide has purchased a fighter plane from the Brazilian aviation company Embraer, a Brazilian newspaper reported Sunday.
The 314-B1 Super Tucano propeller-driven fighter — the same used by the Brazilian military — was bought for $4.5 million and delivered to EP Aviation at the end of February, according to the Estado de S. Paulo newspaper.

The report included the plane's registration number with the U.S. Federal Aviation Agency, and the FAA website confirmed it is registered by EP Aviation.

It was not clear if it was Embraer's first sale of a military-style aircraft to a private company. EP Aviation has 33 planes and helicopters registered with the FAA, according to the agency's website, only one of which is from Embraer.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I guess when you are an up and coming para-military organization, adding a fighter plane to your arsenal is a very important step in your agenda.

Well I don't know about you, but I know I will feel much safer knowing that these guy's are in....er......over my backyard.

www.usatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
It's more a COIN aircraft than "fighter plane". Are they allowed to have helicopters, or is this a harbinger of doom too?

EDIT: This is the plane striking fear in airforces everywhere.

[edit on 2-6-2008 by _Del_]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by _Del_

Yes... guys, do a google search on "Esquadrilha da Fumaça" (Fumaca)

[sarcasm]

I guess those blackwater guys are thinking about changing fields, perhaps doing air stunts... that's all an airplane such as a Tucano can give you nowdays...

[/sarcasm]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
As wary as I am of Blackwater's apparent buildup of a private air force, I have to admit they're spending a lot of cash for one single-engine turboprop that can probably be brought down with small arms.

Now if they start buying and overhauling Russian MiGs there's some real cause for concern....

Although they can pack some deadly hardware on all those choppers they've bought as well....

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   
If this plane is no bid deal, just a stunt plane, then why did the United States feel the need to veto a purchase of them from the Venezuelan military?

And why, in this century, would Brazil spend the money on R&D on such a plane?

It is capable of some valuable military role. If you dont think so, stand there and let it take shots at you.

Also, remember that blackwater is fighting under-armed resistance fighters, not a military. I think a relatively slow moving aircraft like this would actually be much more effective against small vehicles that you are likely to see utilized by a resistance or insurgency than a faster moving jet would be.

As a scout our biggest fear was discovery by helicopters or other “slow mover” aircraft but fighter jets and other “fast mover” aircraft were of little concern.

Basically, they get to practice on the un-disciplined resistance in Iraq before they have to use the same equipment on the un-disciplined resistance in America.

That picture should strike fear into any American's heart.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I don't know, I think it is a pretty smart buy actually. I didn't look up any stats on that prop "fighter" plane, but I bet it lands on a pretty short airstrip compared to alot of jet powered fighter planes. They could buy probably 7 or 8 of those planes compared to one fighter jet. Those planes can travel somewhat slower obviously, so maybe that makes that prop plane a better "protector" of a ground asset travelling in a convoy perhaps? Maybe these prop planes do not give off enough of a heat signature (compared to jets) to worry about "al-queda" heat seeking missiles (if they have them)?

Not sure, Im just pulling straws here, but one thing I think I know for sure is that the PTB that run Blackwater are not stupid. They have a very good reason to buy that style of a plane over a jet, we just don't know what it is... yet...

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
It's COIN aircraft. A pretty capable one. It's very useful in it's role. It's not a super capable "fighter" plane. I'm no more afraid of the Super Tucano than I was of the AF using A-10's, OV-10's, et al.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
4.5mil seems like an inordinate amount for a single prop aircraft... why would they spend that much when there surely must be more economical offers around.

This could be the primary purchase... to grease the wheels for further purchases of higher end hardware.

[edit on 2-6-2008 by 44soulslayer]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by _Del_

First off, what is a "COIN Aircraft"? I simply am a nub when it comes to military stuff.

Secondly, although this did not turn out to be the fighter jet I was picturing it still amazes me a private company can purchase such high scale (relatively) arms.

I remember as a kid when i would watch moves like James Bond and the bad guys had all sorts of outlandish equipment I would think to myself, who (government) in their right mind would allow private citizens to acquire so much hard ware? I guess my question has been answered!

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
These are no toy planes. Here is a video of the Colombian Air Force Tucanos, they can bomb and fire missiles and fly night time operations.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Animal
reply to post by _Del_

First off, what is a "COIN Aircraft"? I simply am a nub when it comes to military stuff.

COunter INsurgency. Basically a weapon for asymmetrical warfare against less heavily-armed, unregimented opponents.

Secondly, although this did not turn out to be the fighter jet I was picturing it still amazes me a private company can purchase such high scale (relatively) arms.

It does seem a lot of money for such a plane. I wonder if there wasn't something else included, like training, spares, maybe weapons... And yes, it is rather unsettling that a private company has been allowed to essentially raise its own army and begin its own air force. The Constitution actually forbids it, but hey, Bush says it's a "G*ddamned piece of paper", and Blackwater contributed heavily to his campaigns.

I remember as a kid when i would watch moves like James Bond and the bad guys had all sorts of outlandish equipment I would think to myself, who (government) in their right mind would allow private citizens to acquire so much hard ware? I guess my question has been answered!

You and me both. SPECTRE had a friggin' hollowed-out volcano-turned-rocket-base!! With that kind of cash and tech why would Blofeld bother starting wars when he could have simply bought all the world's leaders and turned them against their peoples? Oh wait... Blofeld... Cheney... OMG!!!?!?!?!!!

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Camilo1

Thanks for the video!

Like I said, imagine that thing helping out in the skies over N.O. after Katrina...

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
First, great postings by all of you guys. I know nothing about any of this and all of the posts I read had good information and perspectives.
But... I really got a kick out of the high altitude gear these pilots were wearing like they were one of the big boys. Now before I sound really retarded...too late, but how high can a prop plane fly? Do they need all that gear? Or was it just a part of the propaganda video?
Seriously though, I hate the idea of some private security company having this kind of hardware.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Res Ipsa

Im no pilot, but I am certain that the masks are necessary.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I'm no pilot either but as a skydiver, we are required to have oxygen available anytime we exceeded 15,000 feet. The Tucano has a ceiling of 35000 feet.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Res Ipsahow high can a prop plane fly? Do they need all that gear? Or was it just a part of the propaganda video?
Seriously though, I hate the idea of some private security company having this kind of hardware.

Any flight above 15,000 feet or so (in an unpressurized cockpit) requires the use of oxygen. You can sometimes stretch this to roughly 20,000, but it wouldn't be recommended.
And while I'm not a fan of the operation, I don't think the Super Tucano is the ultimate death machine that was implied by some of the posts.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Its a rough, tough, easily fied repairable by people with little traing but can read a manual and is a great low level manouvering airframe. It can be fitted out with a wide range of weapons and avionics, and the RAF trainers have full HUD and night IR capability.

Add to this the great all round view and you have an awesome 'lay some rounds down' troop support aircraft.

Oh and as it can be operated from none paved runways or rougher terrain than a jet aircraft it is highly suitable for Iraq and its dust filled ebvironment where Blackwaters facilities are not as good as the USAF and their jet fighter support abilities.

Lastly, its faster than a helicopter, less vulnerable in transit than a helicopter and just as useful in its given troop support role (running up and down highways watching out for IED planters with IR /thermail optics is one use i would use it for)

Super tucano cockpit.

[edit on 2-6-2008 by Dan Tanna]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Nighthawk

Originally posted by Animal

You and me both. SPECTRE had a friggin' hollowed-out volcano-turned-rocket-base!! With that kind of cash and tech why would Blofeld bother starting wars when he could have simply bought all the world's leaders and turned them against their peoples? Oh wait... Blofeld... Cheney... OMG!!!?!?!?!!!

Too funny man, too funny. A little scary too. Thanks for the replys as well.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Nighthawk
COunter INsurgency. Basically a weapon for asymmetrical warfare against less heavily-armed, unregimented opponents.

That makes me wonder, do you say it like "coin" or "co in"?

Originally posted by The NighthawkAnd yes, it is rather unsettling that a private company has been allowed to essentially raise its own army and begin its own air force. The Constitution actually forbids it...

Where?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join