It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Polygamist sect parents, children begin reuniting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Polygamist sect parents, children begin reuniting

news.yahoo.com

SAN ANGELO, Texas - A judge on Monday ordered the immediate return of more than 400 children taken from a polygamist sect's ranch, bringing an abrupt end to one of the largest custody cases in U.S. history.
Texas District Judge Barbara Walther, responding to a state Supreme Court ruling last week, signed an order filed by attorneys for the parents and Child Protective Services, allowing the parents to begin picking their children up from foster care facilities around the state.

The first emotion-filled reunions came Monday afternoon, as parents trickled into foster care facilities to pick up their children.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I know, I know, just wanted us all to be happy together. Yeah, rights live another day, sort of... So do we have an estimate on the number that will turn up missing?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I'm not certain that any of the children currently in protective custody will turn up missing before they are returned to their families. However, I wouldn't be at all surprised if some the children went missing after they are reunited with their families in an attempt to hinder any further investigation.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by maria_stardust

How about in an attempt to avoid them taking their children without just cause again? And knowing CPS, I think you need to rethink your statement. Read the stats on crimes against foster children. They are far worse than any of the accusations made against FLDS, and WAY worse than the actual evidence against FLDS.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I actually worked at a domestic violence shelter a few years back. If a claim was made that abuse was occurring, we were required to take that claim seriously. Doubly so if the claim was made by a child.

I think that any claim of sexual abuse against a minor warrants a through investigation. The fact of the matter is, many of the mothers and children were being purposely misleading about their family lineage. They intentionally hindered the initial investigation that led the families being separated for so long.

Sex crimes against children is a very serious matter, and there is no such thing as too much protection.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   

This "claim" you speak of was found to have been a prank and a hoax. Yet they still held the kids.
They took girls over the age of 18, (one 27) and confiscated their I.D.s, telling them they were children.
Only one girl under age, at age 15, was found to be pregnant. And there is evidence to suggest that she was actually impregnated by another teenager who visited the sect. Sounds like normal teen behavior to me.

Oh, and only once will I address this per thread, but don't ever, ever, preach to me about child abuse in the foster care system. 'nuff said on that.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by maria_stardust
If a claim was made that abuse was occurring, we were required to take that claim seriously. Doubly so if the claim was made by a child.

The claim was made by one nut who claimed to be a minor suffering abuse at FDLS. Turns out it was a phone hoaxster with NO affiliation with FDLS and the call appears to be racially motivated. She (the hoaxster) was arrested for making false claims. She apparently has a history of fake phone calls for various reasons.

Pretty scary to think any assorted nut with a vendetta could make a call to the authorities, claim they are an abused child in your house, and all of your children can be put in foster care for months based on a CRANK CALL.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I was not preaching about child abuse. I was sharing with you my experiences with this matter. A claim of child abuse was made by someone claiming to be a minor. It was a claim that had to be taken seriously.

Yes, I realize that the initial claim turned out to be a hoax. But the mothers and children involved in this case kept providing misleading information about their ages, parentage and identities. How do you expect any reasonable investigation to take place if they were being uncooperative. It was the mothers and childrens unwillingness to cooperate that led the investigation dragging out so long.

As I previously stated, claims of sex crimes against minors should always be taken seriously and investigated to the fullest extent.

Once again, I'm not preaching. I was sharing my experiences in this matter.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   

You HAVE to be aware, of how CPS works. I would not respect anyone who has anything to do with such an agency.

They go through life with this theory in mind:
""if we have to separate a million kids from their families to prevent one child from being abused...then its all worth it""

You also have to know that each CPS worker, is NOT there to protect a child from their family. It is their JOB to gain custody to the state of so many a month. Kind of a 'quota' if you will. If a CPS worker steals no kids, then they are FIRED. Which means when there is not enough honest abuse happening, they create it. Via lies, false accusations, etc.

This crap has gone on long enough!!!! STOP trying to seperate kids from their families. There is not enough abuse to keep these bastards in business, so they CREATE IT. Innocent families LOSE their KIDS.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by jasonjnelson

i see from other news networks that there are conditions attached to the release of the children and adults.

they must take parenting classes and they must submit to cps showing up at their doors any time to check on them.

sickening----my wife said she wished that the government would insist on the same here for all the "normal children" of the "normal adults" that allow their kids to run the streets day and night sceaming,vandalizing and using profanity for every second word.

every thing i have seen so far about the yfz church kids is about how nice they are--------is that the problem for the first judge and the cps-------that they are so used to seeing regular societies "normal kids" that by comparison the yfz kids act like they must have been beaten/abused to make them so quiet and polite?

and if it wasn't enough to persecute this small church now the government in canada plans to stick its nose into the offshoot of the yfz church in british columbia on canada's west coast.

again they have the same kind of nice kids all normal parents wish they could have and lots of prime real estate

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   

First your brave for taking on the sharks here and I think all of us agree that sexual abuse should be taken seriously. But the problem is you have to investigate first and arrest later. This guilty before proven innocent has got to end. On top of this the state lied about alot of the facts like how many teenagers they had that were pregnant and what not. It was all found to be untrue and the premise under which they went in was a hoax. If they do an investigation and people WERE raping 10 year olds then they need to lose their balls but give due process please.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by yahn goodey

I agree totally and I pointed this out in another thread. These people have a lot of money and property and they are really nice and really sheltered on how completely corrupt our government is. These kids Im sure are the nicest most respectable kids. They were ripe for the picking a perfect target for the government. Yes they do want to give them brainwashing oops I mean family classes. Pathetic because I feel these kids should be the ones giving the classes

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I am so willing to bet that the BABIES will be the hardest to get back. Anyone knows that light hair and light eyed parents' kids = $$$

This is true, CPS almost never bothers the Mexican families with 5 kids in a one bedroom apartment, no matter how bad the conditions, and how bad the kids are treated. Blonde haired, blue eyed kids = $$$

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by jasonjnelson

When I was a kid I knew foster kids ,kids from(abusive) families and the kids of religious nuts. Of the the three , the foster kids fared the worst. The children of the religious nuts usually did well for themselves. They went to college and once educated joined less bizarre churches. The foster kids told me stories of weird people who smoked pot in front of them ,but even when they were not with weird people to me the relationships they had with their guardians looked strained like the guardians and the foster children distrusted each other. There was only shallow intimacy in the foster homes. The children in the abusive homes understood their parents and knew what to expect from those dirtbags. If adult men where abusing girls they should go to jail but foster care is not a good answer for the children of the cult members. It's not that the cult is so great it's that foster care is so terrible.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I do have a bit of a problem with part of the ruling.

Since the allegations were proven to be false and 'Texas' had no right to snatch those kids in the first place...where does 'Texas' get off giving itself the right to force the parents to jump through ANY type of hoops in order to get their kids back? Parenting classes? Unannounced inspections? Why?

I'll tell you why...the government is trying to continue its' unfounded witch hunt. And I'll tell you something else, IF the government is allowed to get away with unnecessary harrassment then it will likely expand its' sphere of said harrassment. You could be next. You say there's no reason for this to be done to you and your family because nothing wrong is being done in your family, so they would never bother you? Yeah well, these people weren't doing anything wrong either, and it didn't protect them.

The time is long past when the government needs to butt out of family business. No, child abuse is not a good thing but child abuse done while in the hands of the government is STILL child abuse.

How many of those kids will be traumatized for life because of this???? Probably most of them.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by maria_stardust
Yes, I realize that the initial claim turned out to be a hoax. But the mothers and children involved in this case kept providing misleading information about their ages, parentage and identities.

With all due respect, I don't believe that the children or their parents lied about their ages or who they belonged to. In a news report last week a CPS Spokesman admitted they were overwhelmed by so many cases and 'confused' about the information they were collecting.

Should we believe that 30 adults claimed to be minors and went willingly into foster care, or that dozens claimed to be pregnant when they weren't?

CPS lied about this whole case from the beginning, fabricated evidence and laid false charges against these people. They've also known the call was from a habitual hoaxer, since April 16.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowEyes
I do have a bit of a problem with part of the ruling.

Since the allegations were proven to be false and 'Texas' had no right to snatch those kids in the first place...where does 'Texas' get off giving itself the right to force the parents to jump through ANY type of hoops in order to get their kids back? Parenting classes? Unannounced inspections? Why?

I'll tell you why...the government is trying to continue its' unfounded witch hunt. And I'll tell you something else, IF the government is allowed to get away with unnecessary harrassment then it will likely expand its' sphere of said harrassment. You could be next. You say there's no reason for this to be done to you and your family because nothing wrong is being done in your family, so they would never bother you? Yeah well, these people weren't doing anything wrong either, and it didn't protect them.

The time is long past when the government needs to butt out of family business. No, child abuse is not a good thing but child abuse done while in the hands of the government is STILL child abuse.

How many of those kids will be traumatized for life because of this???? Probably most of them.

sorry to be the one to inform you of this, but well....
that neighbor you irked down the street yesterday could report you for whatever imaginary parental crime tomorrow, and you too could find yourself jumping though the hoops also. this isn't unusual behavior for cps. taking a groups children enmass into custody was unusual.

top topics

join