It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hyptnotic, Subliminal or Emotional Manipulation Techniques?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   
So I finished watching this the fifth time in the last 18 hours and it prompted me to wonder why I have such a great affinity for it:

I've noticed various subtle techniques used above and in multiple advertisements. Quick changes and flashes in lights and color (hyptnotic technique), words printed at the same time that they're said and a delivery of emotion you're supposed to feel (such as "This person is smiling, so should you!") kind of thing, and repetition. I'm interested in hearing what others spot as well.

More directly are these underlying themes of sin such as theivery "Steal the cereal from the rabbit / leprechaun / dad". Anyone else notice and are bothered by it?

Do you think we're subjected to Emotional Manipulation or strongly influenced by it?

In general, what are your thoughts?

[edit on 2-6-2008 by saint4God]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
external source

Bananaphone was created by the CIA as a mind control test video back in the 90's
They also made anther video known as magical trevor which makes you go out and buy loads of beans.

Yes, I would say that there is a heavy influence of mind control technique in this video.
Bananaphone actually took 6 years to create due to the factors that whoever did the work putting it together went insane.
It was shelved for a further 4 years

[edit on 2-6-2008 by Dar Kuma]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I think its hilarious!
More seriously though what is the subliminal message? More importantly what the hell is a Banana Phone?

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I think part of the attraction for this animation is what I like to dub the "Napoleon Dyanamite" effect. It's just so corny on so many levels you have to enjoy it.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if someone experienced a seizure from enduring the flashing background. I watched the video a second time sans the volume, and there is definitely a hypnotic effect as a result of the flashing, as well.

Spin doctors use hypnotic, subliminal and emotional manipulation techniques all the time. The repeated use of certain sound bites, or talk points lend the air of credibility due to simple repitition.

A prime example would be the Bush administration's use of the phrase "weapons of mass destruction." It was hammered so many times that it became associated as a fact, has was used as means to justify a war. In hindsight, we now know there were no WMD. It was an emotional manipulation to build up patriotic support for the war on terrorism.

[edit on 6/3/2008 by maria_stardust]

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   
The soundtrack definitely made that. Great old-fashion ragtime feel, fast rhythm, enthusiastic. Did anyone else thing the vocals were slightly pitched up? Sort of halfway between normal and 'helium' sound. Really gave it that surreal kind of edge.

My favorite example of this kind is the (deliberately surreal) 'Fruity Oaty Bar' from Serenity:

When I got the DVD, I must of watched this 50 times in a row. The octopus is just so... random.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frank Black
I think its hilarious!

Ya, it is a work of art that nearly brings tears to my eyes.

More seriously though what is the subliminal message?

My focus was more on technique than actual consumer or ethical influences. I always thought it was weird that the spoken word and written word happen at the same time. Ever watch commercials on mute? The words say the same thing as the announcer so that you still get the message even on mute. Imagine how much stronger the message is when you get both video and audio, double the senses. Words flash fast, and more words are on the screen than can be read. Why display more words than can be read?

More importantly what the hell is a Banana Phone?

I believe the origins of Banana Phone go back to Sesame Street some twenty-five years ago. Ernie was using his imagination to talk to a friend of his on a banana by holding it like a telephone. Upon Bert's inquiry, he explains how the fruit was merely a device to channel his imaginary thought and conduct a free-form mental recreation of a possible event. After some amount of persuasion beyond Bert's reluctance to do something "silly", Bert is enticed into the activity and finds enjoyment. Then, the real telephone rings, Ernie picks it up and is unable to remove Bert from his imaginary conversation to speak to the real person who wants to talk to him. It's a fairly deep allegory, to which we can apply today. I know when the phone rings and I'm on the computer, I tend to prefer the fantasical world of online gaming verses speaking to a real telemarketer.

[edit on 3-6-2008 by saint4God]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   
i can't see or experience anything strange by watching either of these videos

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dessi_Bulgaria
i can't see or experience anything strange by watching either of these videos

Then it worked! Just kidding. I'm more or less interested in the 'layering' technique. I haven't run into anything yet whereas after watching something once (or twice) we get a strange tingley sensation and have great gaps in time where we're under hypnotic control. In fact, many who work in hypnosis will claim that one cannot unwillingly undergo hypnosis. To this I say "yes...and...no". While it's true we have to put ourselves into a prone position, I do think an eventual 'bending of the will or thoughts' can occur. I'll demonstrate what I mean if you don't mind answering a short set of questions:

1.) What is your favorite commercial? (or pick one of your fav's)

2.) Why?

3.) What do they sell?

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:45 AM
link   
here's another example of subliminal messaging,
one that takes a little thought, but becomes clear after you 'see' it.

the product is called Merina...its a birth control product.

the subliminal connection is a persons name; 'Marena'...

sounds harmless or a non-issue at first....

But put Marena and Oswald together and you get the picture.
The wife of Lee Harvy Oswald, 'Marena', should not ever have kids is the implication
Marena/'Merina' are social taboo material, ostracized, and the
new birth control product has the implied result of wiping away potential miscreants...before they become unnatural killers in real life.

(recall the reason that the negative term 'Your Name is Mud' came into the popular culture lexicon? it revolved around another Assassination of a civil war president!)

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Very interesting St Udio...but I have to question target audience. Under the supposition that the above is true, a person would need to know who Mrs. Oswald is. For that to occur, the age of said person would be...65-ish? I would imagine advertisers may be more effective take a younger approach towards women between 14 and 35 unless they're looking for the buy-in from grandparents.

It raises an interesting point. Lunestra is a sleep medication (Lune = moon). In it there is a glowing, surreal-coloured magical butterfly that floats around the room while soft music and a soothing voice is heard in the background. Although this is somewhat expected, that butterfly is boarderline freaky. It can be seen here: www.lunesta.com...

Those who have trouble sleeping in the audience seem to be between 40 and 60...the 60's generation. Is there an appeal to this hallucinogenic butterfly for this generation?

After taking LUNESTA, you may get up out of bed while not being fully awake and do an activity that you do not know you are doing. The next morning, you may not remember that you did anything during the night. You have a higher chance for doing these activities if you drink alcohol or take other medicines that make you sleepy with LUNESTA. Reported activities include:
• driving a car (“sleep-driving”)
• making and eating food
• talking on the phone
• having sex
• sleep-walking

Possible serious side effects of LUNESTA include:
• getting out of bed while not being fully awake and do an activity that you do not know you are doing. (See “What is the most important information I should know about LUNESTA?”)
• abnormal thoughts and behavior. Symptoms include more outgoing or aggressive behavior than normal, confusion, agitation, hallucinations, worsening of depression, and
suicidal thoughts or actions.
• memory loss
• anxiety
• severe allergic reactions. Symptoms include swelling of the tongue or throat, trouble breathing, and nausea and vomit- ing. Get emergency medical help if you get these symptoms after taking LUNESTA.

Revisit the days of woodstock...with Lunestra.

[edit on 15-7-2008 by saint4God]

top topics

join