It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iranian Women's Rights Activist First Male to Receive Sentencing for His Actions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Iranian Women's Rights Activist First Male to Receive Sentencing for His Actions

www.foxnews.com

TEHRAN, Iran — A young Iranian activist and his lawyer said Monday that he had become the first man sentenced for participating in a campaign to change laws that discriminate against women.

Amir Yaghoub Ali, 21, said he was convicted of acting against national security and sentenced to a year in prison for his role in the "Change for Equality" campaign, launched by Iranian women activists in September 2006.

The campaign sought to collect a million signatures in support of changing laws that
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I do wonder when and if Iran will join the rest of the world and stop this oppression of women, in this case a man for attempting to change laws that are very unfair to women.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I guess I'm supposed to respect other cultures but that seems completely wrong. On the otherhand, I'm wondering why they don't prosecute...

Sotudeh said at least six women have been sentenced over the campaign, with punishments including jail terms and lashes. None of the sentences have been carried out, though it is unclear why, she said.

Are Iranian authorities getting soft?

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
While I do think women should be treated equally..

This is their culture that has been the same way for thousands of years. They are so used to the way things are that its just natural to them. What gives anyone the right to tell them what they are doing is the "wrong way" and what we are doing is the "right way"? We need to stop trying to push our views on the rest of the world no matter how backwards they might seem, that is the way they are. Look at what happened with Iraq, we went in there trying to change things and now the country is a complete mess.. they were much better off before we went in and started our genocide campaign to destabilize the country and possible the whole middle east.

new topics

top topics

join