It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scary Details of Sichuan Quake Revealed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Scary Details of Sichuan Quake Revealed

www.livescience.com

During the Sichuan earthquake earlier this month, the ground suddenly shifted a gaping five feet, or about shoulder height of an adult. That huge displacement and the rapid ground motions that followed could explain the extensive and tragic damage in China, an engineer said today.

"Even though the findings are preliminary, they can be used. It's better to have this information than no information," said Mario Chavez, professor of seismological engineering at the National Autonomous University of Mexico in Mexico City.

His results also showed the ground motions reached velocities of at least 2.1 feet per second (65 cm per second, or about 1.4 mph - that might seem slow, but consider if a heavy object struck at that speed). In size and speed, the motions are similar to those that were recorded at the epicenter of an 8.1-magnitude earthquake that killed 30,000 people in Mexico City in 1985, Chavez said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
A shift of five feet. Amazing.

Considering the sheer force of such a jolt and the effects it would have, we are lucky that far more weren't killed.

www.livescience.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I have only been in small earthquakes so I simply cannot imagine the ground rising and falling by feet per second.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

The China earthquake reminds me of the New Madrid.en.wikipedia.org... It took two months with the last shock wave doing the greatest damage. I am afraid that China should still prepare for another huge quake.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Hey gloryplastic. I have seen you post twice now leaving links to plastic suppliers..are you advertising something?

new topics

top topics

join