It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Black Diamond's Mystery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   

The Black Diamond's Mystery

www.sciencedaily.com

June 1, 2007 — Carbonados, black carbon formations that resemble diamonds, have been show to have a chemical spectrum that indicates they originated before the formation of the Earth; their high hydrogen content suggests they are from a star-like environment. Since this carbon is only found in two locations on our planet, it may have arrived via an asteroid.

Carbonados, or black diamonds, have long been a mystery. They're the oldest, toughest and rarest diamonds around. Now, some researchers have a theory about its origin, and it's out of this world, literally.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2-6-2008 by grover]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
COOL!!!

If I recall correctly the Smithsonian has a black diamond in its collection.

www.sciencedaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   
The article goes on to say:

Traditional diamonds are formed deep in the earth and came to the surface through two volcano eruptions that happened 100 million and one billion years ago. Carbonados are older than 3.8 billion years. "They clearly did not form in the same way that conventional diamonds formed," Dr. Haggerty says.

Most diamonds can be found all over the world, but carbonados are only found in Brazil and Africa. Dr. Haggerty believes black diamonds came to earth during an asteroid event that struck when the two countries were still one continent. "Maybe it is a maverick, or a fringe idea, but no one has come up with an alternative," Dr. Haggerty says.

Carbonados have hydrogen in them, suggesting the diamonds formed in an environment, like a star. When examined under infrared radiation, researchers found a spectrum similar to a type of diamond that exists in space.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Now this is intriguing. Diamonds that are older than the Earth! I'm surprised that I haven't heard of black diamonds before. Can you imagine how scarce they must be if they orginated from a single astroid? It's amazing that they've been discovered at all.

Needless to say, I'm a great believer of sparkly accessories!

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by maria_stardust

If you go to the link... beside the article is another link to a jeweler who apparently specializes in them.

new topics

top topics

join