It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bye Bye Bananas — the Return of Panama Disease

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Bye Bye Bananas — the Return of Panama Disease

science.slashdot.org

"The banana we eat today is not the one your grandparents ate. That one — known as the Gros Michel — was, by all accounts, bigger, tastier, and hardier than the variety we know and love, which is called the Cavendish. The unavailability of the Gros Michel is easily explained: it is virtually extinct. Introduced to our hemisphere in the late 19th century, the Gros Michel was almost immediately hit by a blight that wiped it out by 1960.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   

[Now] Panama disease — or Fusarium wilt of banana — is back, and the Cavendish does not appear to be safe from this new strain, which appeared two decades ago in Malaysia, spread slowly at first, but is now moving at a geometrically quicker pace. There is no cure, and nearly every banana scientist says that though Panama disease has yet to hit the banana crops of Latin America, which feed our hemisphere, the question is not if this will happen, but when.

They even say this could spread to Africa which would essentially wipe out another food source, as if they can afford to have even less food.

science.slashdot.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

No I love bananas! I eat them ALL the time.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this article...

You know that here in Oregon, these are the cheapest fruit there is at 48cents a pound.

While I don't like bananas, everyone else seems to appreciate that they are a fruit they can still afford.

Seems it's one bad thing after another.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I too, buy them all the time, as they are both nutritious and my kids like them, plus they are 29 cents a pound. I also have a deficiency in potassium and all I need is a banana to boost me up.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Bananas are, however, excellent candidates for genetic modification. They are sterile - no seeds or pollen by which mutations might spread - and reproduce vegetatively.
science

Well there's always GM foods, but everyone is against that. I think it's just popular to be against everything in today's world.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Now that is convenient. We can beg Monsanto to GM a banana into existence after their blight wipes out the natural ones. Of course it will lack potassium and other nutrients, and make your sterile, but at only twice the cost of the original, well lets just call it a bargain.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
This has been going around for years. It isn't real. You can read the history of this story over at snopes.com.

join