It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study Says Antidepressants OK For Fetuses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Study Says Antidepressants OK For Fetuses

www.wnbc.com

Expectant mothers can safely use prescribed antidepressants during their first trimester, according to a new study from the Université de Montréal and Ste. Justine Hospital.

"This is the first study to investigate the impact of antidepressant use during the first trimester of pregnancy in mothers with psychiatric disorders," said Dr. Anick Berard. "In terms of birth malformations in this population, we found no difference between women who used antidepressants and those who did not use antidepressants during their first trimester."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 06:06 AM
link   
WTF?

This study concerns me greatly. Hell, in my own opinion I do not believe antidepressants to be safe for adults. The study took into account birth defects but what about possible effects in cognition? What about possible effects with brain development? Given the litany of drugs which were once declared safe for fetuses and later found to cause severe problems. I'm very mistrustful of such studies as this.

It would be interesting to know where the funding for this study originated...

www.wnbc.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 06:13 AM
link   
There is no end to their assault against humanity is there ? How can they measure long term effects ? how can they measure cognative effects ?

This is wrong on so mnay levels its unbelievable.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   
the scum. They also say its safe to give mothers flu vaccines which contain mercury, and many other dangerous drugs. They will say anything and hurt anyone to make a profit, we should drag them all out and inject them with their own poisons.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by SystemiK

The end result will be a country full of puffed up dangerous drug zombies. Our elites have little vision. Such people should never have power.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
With all due respect, I note that the 'source' of this article (NOT THE JOURNAL OF PSYCHIATRY) is: Internet Broadcasting Systems Inc.

This company 'funnels' such article as these to 'targeted new providers' on behalf of their 'clientèle'. Can anyone find out who that might be?

These people (Internet Broadcasting Systems Inc.) are a subset of big media, and we KNOW who owns them, right?

[edit on 2-6-2008 by Maxmars]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by eradown
reply to post by SystemiK

The end result will be a country full of puffed up dangerous drug zombies. Our elites have little vision. Such people should never have power.

Our Elites are lizard-hearted. They don't care, and in fact would like to exterminate most of us with human hearts.

Mark my words.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Its OK, like that the fetuses will become good already established costumers for the big pharma once they are born.

What a way to ensure an en less supply of patients.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Yeah... it must really be depressing knowing that you are about to be born into such a messed up world.

I wish they would have given me anti depressants before I was born.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
From a strict pharmacological view - SSRIs (drugs like Prozac) were considered unsafe for pregnant women because no data about its effect on fetuses was available. However a lot of women that took the drug before pregnancy were advised to continue taking it because of fear of withdrawal issues and because certain percentage of women are feeling depression during pregnancy. I do not know if it justifies the usage of those drugs - but they are used.
So there is a reason for this research. I am not sure how reliable the result is ,of course, but there was a need for this kind of data (responsibility issues, among other things.)
Also i do not think that there is other conspiracy then just the will of Pharma companies to sell more. I worked in pharmacy in poor neighborhood and majority of chronic drugs were for blood pressure, diabetes, cholesterol and such. Depression drugs were near the end in "top ten" - though slowly rising. However when i met someone from my class in university who worked in prestigious area - according to him depression drugs were number 2 or 3. I do not think that elites will knowingly poison them self.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Tell me about it, life is a mess as it is, now we can have some happy babies that can be manipulated to do anything the system wants them to do while growing up into adulthood.

Or they will not get their medication for been bad babies.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

You're analysis is both logical and acute. I have to agree that the 'NWO" relevance may not be realistic, unless there were some proof that they, themselves, do NOT indulge in the use of such medications, and I suspect they do.

Nevertheless, when it comes to the little pills that return 1000% profit to their manufacturers, 'NWO motivations' are but one way to cynically consider this subject.

Maybe I'm getting bitter. Apologies in advance.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Thalidamide, an FDA approved drug, was once considered safe for nauseated pregnant women (and presumably their fetuses) until all the armless babies started showing up.

Phen-Phen, an FDA approved drug, was once considered safe for weight loss until fat people started keeling over from heart attacks.

Vioxx, an FDA approved drug, was once considered safe for arthritic sufferers until its users began dropping dead.

New drugs (as well as currently existing drugs) are a product. Products need to be sold. Sales require marketing/advertising. "Studies", "findings", "research" are the marketing tools of the pharmaceutical industry. My own eyes have told me that some so-called studies are lies.

When I was in microbiology class, we had several petri dishes full of all sorts of nasties to test. Betadine was touted as an extremely effective germicidal agent. We (students) dutifully poured betadine in each and every one of our petri dishes and low and behold; the germs actually GREW. This was the entire class that all got the same results no matter what was growing in their petri dishes. Today Betadine is the pre-op scrub of choice because all the studies show it to be so powerfully effective against germs.

When some new drug comes out, I'm willing to wait 20 years to see how it does on the rest of the population before trying it out for myself, thanks. Developing fetuses aren't supposed to be exposed to cigarette smoke, alcohol, over-the-counter medications, pollution, stressful environments, etc. but it's okay to give them psychotropic chemicals? How does that make sense?

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Ah, yes, during the first trimester. So, a woman who finds herself pregnant and had been taking this medication can assume no effect of a physical nature, if she decides to discontinue med and carry this pregnancy to term. (I didn't see anything in the article re cognitive, neurological, personality.) I guess that would allay some fears.

There is, however, nothing about taking this med after first trimester. So she still doesn't know about what the effects would be, if she should continue med. The study seems to me to be only good for someone who would discontinue use after first tri.

And what about cognitive, neurological, personality effects? They're only worried about physical??

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   

top topics

join