It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia ends Iraq combat operations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Australia ends Iraq combat operations

news.yahoo.com

SYDNEY, Australia - Australia, a staunch U.S. ally and one of the first countries to commit troops to the war in Iraq five years ago, ended combat operations there Sunday.
Soldiers lowered the Australian flag that had flown over Camp Terendak in the southern Iraqi city of Talil. The combat troops were expected to return to Australia over the next few weeks, with the first of them arriving home Sunday.

The move fulfills a campaign promise by Prime Minister Kevin Rudd, who was swept into office in November largely on the promise that he would bring home the country's 550 combat troops by the middle of 2008. Rudd has said the Iraq deployment made Australia more of a target for terrorism
(visit the link for the full news article)

Pull Out of Iraq!!

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 02:38 AM
link   
So did this make Australia more of a target for extremist attacks?
Is it possible that his may mean the end of a coalition in Iraq soon?
Will these exits be followed by the U.S. soon, as I have advocated?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 07:18 AM
link   
wow no replies to this ? I would have thought that when this day came people would sit up and take notice. Guess not.

I for one could not be prouder of our new PM fulfilling his promise... well one of them

I don't see how this would make Australia a target for terrorists, should be quite the opposite no ?
Unless of course the biggest and baddest terrorist has something in mind for us now, others have managed to do so unscathed.

I highly doubt this will inspire any of the other nations still involved to withdraw their troops, sadly. A lot of them do require the USA's support.

I also strongly doubt the USA will be withdrawing from the region any time soon, it's become quite clear they plan to stay awhile, well to myself anyway.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I'm glad we are pulling out, it proves Australia aren't the USA's whipping dog...We do actually think for ourselves.

new topics

top topics

join