It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Outrage of the Week--NRA-Style

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 01:41 AM
link   
We've had numerous discussions about idiotic zero-tolerance policies run amok in our schools.

I don't know if this is the most outrageous, but the response in this incident is draconian by any standard.

Why is it necessary to criminalize every infraction an innocent child commits, such as a first grader kissing a girl or the one listed below?

This week’s outrage comes to us from Winchendon, Massachusetts where, in yet another case of “zero-tolerance” enforcement defying common sense, fourth-grader Bradley Geslak was suspended from Toy Town Elementary School for bringing a Memorial Day souvenir to school.

According to a May 29, Telegram.com article, a uniformed veteran gave the 10-year-old two empty rifle shell casings from blanks used during the town’s Memorial Day celebration Monday morning. Bradley gave one of the empty casings to his grandfather and kept the other as a souvenir. The trouble began when he took his souvenir to school the next day.

[...]

A teacher saw him with the harmless piece of brass and confiscated it. Ms. Geslak was then called at work and told to come and pick up her son, who had been suspended for five days!

[...]

To add insult to injury, the family says a school official told them that the shell would not be returned, and that the next step might involve assigning a probation officer to Bradley! Yes, you read that right, a probation officer.

www.nraila.org...

www.telegram.com...

www.telegram.com...

[edit on 2008/6/2 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 02:01 AM
link   
just another example of things that are considered "fine" by the "I have a car, a house, an LCD tv, and everything is great in my country" crowd. This is simply ludicrous.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 02:11 AM
link   
zero tolerance, indeed. A rule like this let's some power hungry teacher and administrators run amuk.

Yet another reason to, if you can, home school your kids, or send 'em to private school. 'Course that's why the PTB's don't like the idea of vouchers for schools, they want your little ones to be rules obeying drones.

One more reason to vote in November to toss these sort of stupid people out one their respective ears. Or at least the people who enable their hirings.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Suspended for bringing in a hunk of brass? WOW. That is crazy. I hope that no kids from that school ever bring in a flint while studying rocks and minerals. They will probably expell the kid for trying to burn the school down.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
If people ever wondered why conservatives are pushing for private schooling and vouchers, this is a pretty good example. The teachers union in this country is out of control with their zero tolerance crap. Zero tolerance is just a way to excuse the lack of intelligence and common sense amongst the school administrators. As Seagull said, all the public school system is interested in is turning out obedient little drones for their masters.

That's one more reason that the Dems have a hard time winning my vote in a national election.

Of course, what does anyone expect? It was in Massachusetts. If the kid had so much as said the word 'gun' he probably would've gotten suspended.

top topics

join