It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US accused of holding terror suspects on prison ships

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   

US accused of holding terror suspects on prison ships

www.guardian.co.uk

The United States is operating "floating prisons" to house those arrested in its war on terror, according to human rights lawyers, who claim there has been an attempt to conceal the numbers and whereabouts of detainees.

Details of ships where detainees have been held and sites allegedly being used in countries across the world have been compiled as the debate over detention without trial intensifies on both sides of the Atlantic. The US government was yesterday urged to list the names and whereabouts of all those detained.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I thought Gitmo was the only place they went, now they hold them on ships. Wouldn't surprise me if next they were holding them in containers on sea ports.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

Gitmo, black sites, now ships?

Makes you wonder just how many prisoners the US has. Bush is going to hand one hell of a mess over to the next president.

[edit on 2-6-2008 by Flory]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 01:59 AM
link   
How soon we forget. Lets hope in time we all remember. Its too bad the media has grown into such a beast.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flory
Bush is going to hand one hell of a mess over to the next president.
[edit on 2-6-2008 by Flory]

Let's hope no one forgets to tell the next guy that the military are wasting their time with all this.

Otherwise, this is starting to seem reminiscient of certain political imprisionments that we feared so much when faced with the threat of the Soviets.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by jhill76

I thought Gitmo was the only place they went, now they hold them on ships. Wouldn't surprise me if next they were holding them in containers on sea ports.

Don't forget the European secret prisons that "suspects" are flown to. I wouldn't say Gitmo was the major one at all. Used as the media one.

[edit on 2-6-2008 by ixnay]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Another view from rawstory.com

The United States has engaged in more than 200 new cases of extraordinary rendition since President Bush vowed to end the practice in 2006 and has operated more than a dozen secretive "floating prisons" aboard military ships at sea, according to a soon-to-be released report from an international human rights organization.

Raw Story

top topics

join