It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suspicionless checkpoints in America

page: 1/
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Terrence Bressi has to drive through a suspicionless checkpoint everyday. This one happens to be an immigration checkpoint FORTY MILES inland. As in, NOT on the border…where immigrants cross. The checkpoint consists of not much more than a trailer, some SUV’s and a gang of green suited thugs. The goal of the checkpoint is apparently to get you to stop and either say you are an American(Heiling INGSOC will soon be required) or admit to being here illegally. Bressi refuses to answer their questions, standing firm on his right to be free from unreasonable search and seizure. This time they detain him for 10 minutes while the "officer" essentially lectures him on the importance of being a good American and answering to authority when questioned for no good reason, and then chides him for being so selfish about his freedom and holding up the row of cars behind him who are all willing to sacrifice the small shred of what liberty they may have left.

Bressi is currently involved in a case concerning severe disarmament of his rights unlawfully and chronicles it on his website, Checkpoint USA. This is his latest run in, all of which have been recorded for his safety.

See video

www.checkpointusa.org...

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Of course that is not all they will do. If you get froggy you can get pulled over into a secondary checkpoint that usually involves the further dismembering of your fourth amendment rights and nowadays, probably electrocution by taser.

This is just another example of the police state we have become. Pulled over just to be asked your allegiance.

Next thing you know they will be stopping me for being out past curfew. Oh wait, that’s what DWI stops are for. Another stop which is completely unconstitutional.

Now I know, many people out there say, What’s wrong with DWI checks? You shouldn’t drive if you are drunk. I agree. You should not. But I hardly see how infringing everyone else’s freedom coerces people to not do it.

When I am pulled over at a DWI checkpoint I am asked 5 things generally. License? Insurance? Registration? Where are you going? and Where are you coming from? Here in southern New Mexico that also means armored prisoner wagons and black clad para-military thugs working for the Federalie…er I mean State Police.

Now, suddenly this has changed from are you drunk to, “Papers please, oh and an itinerary too.”

Suddenly, under the guise of drunk drivers they are now also giving away no insurance tickets (Why should the government be able to require me to enter into a contract with ANY public/private entity?), running plates and registration(why should they know what car I own? Did they help me pay for it?), doing a visual search of the inside of your vehicle(I have actually had the shine lights in the back to get a REAL GOOD look) and my favorite, among other things, the penultimate in Nanny-State, issue seatbelt tickets.

Now, I have successfully avoided hardcore police stating by denying them the information of my itinerary, though I highly doubt it would fly if I denied to show them my papers. Besides, I believe it is currently against the law in many states to not show your license when commanded. Plays into the idea of the license to drive being a privilege and not a right, something which i beg to differ with.

So, as you can see, a seemingly innocuous situation has turned tyrannical in a heart beat. Without freedom there is not freedom. You are not free if your government is keeping tabs on you and can stop you at any time. You are not free if someone dictates any single shred of your life, particularly if that someone is sporting a government badge and a tax-payed salary. No, if these things are true we are nothing more than slaves with a large grazing area. Oh well, nobody need the Fourth Amendment anyways.

What do you guys think? Harmless or severe threat to liberty? Do you stand for liberty or answer their questions for fear of being suspect?

The Captain

[edit on 2-6-2008 by CaptInsanoX]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 12:44 AM
link   
So let me get this straight. Being a good American is being unlawfully detained and then submitting to some jerk cop's questions? THAT'S being a good American? I thought being a good American was protecting the Constitution or exercising one's freedom or even voting??? NOT succumbing to authority merely because the authority has presented itself.

Unfortunately, this is only ONE person in probably tens or hundreds of thousands who go through that very same checkpoint every day. It's time for more people to wake up and realize that this is not the America we've been lead to believe in. This is some poor carbon copy that must be crumpled in order for the real America (and the true Americans) to be revealed again.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Agreed Scarlett. I was just talking to someone today who insisted he was still free to travel anywhere and everywhere without being hindered. Checkpoint Evolution in airports and curfew/movement checkpoints on the roads aside...

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Discussion started on May 21 2008 about these vids here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I was pulled over once for wearing a motorcycle helmet while driving my car.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 01:09 AM
link   
that's just wrong!

Whats next book burning? Goose stepping ?

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   
The "downside" to this individual's "claim" would seem that which "agent" Villa puts forth... you do this every day, why? [paraphrased]. (?)

This isn't the first video I've seen by this person, and I Do have to question their intent and or reason.

Proving "their point", is one thing, but subjecting these Employees to their antagonistic approach [repeatedly] would seem little more than an attempt to incite a self-perceived pre-determined, if not wanted, Response.

That, in and of itself, negates damn near any credibility regarding their "claims" of impeded rights, in my opinion.

C'mon. Seriously. Day after day of the same. (?)

While their point as to the location of said "checkpoint" being further from the border than one might anticipate as Needed may be valid, they're actually in the wrong with regards to impeding on the Rights of those waiting behind them... to answer a single question.

If it weren't for the Obviously antagonist and pointed Approach, I might be inclined to say they have a point. As it stands, and in light of the other videos I've seen by the same... they're simply trying to incite a confrontation and or response to "validate" a "See? I told you so" pre-determined cry of wolf.

While there may be an issue, there are ways to demonstrate such... this Not being one of them, in my opinion.

$ .02

[edit: speeling]

[edit on 2-6-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptInsanoX

I saw one of these videos before, but this particular one was better. Thanks for posting, and welcome to ATS.

For the record, I am dead-set against illegal immigration, but violating the rights of citizens gets me completely...

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Are you arguing that this person is not free to drive through a checkpoint every single day if they so choose?

The real point here is that the checkpoints shouldn't even be there to begin with.

So if this person had their rights violated once, you would be inclined to side with them, but having your rights violated time and time again somehow validates a police-state?

[edit on 6/2/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox

Are you arguing that this person is not free to drive through a checkpoint every single day if they so choose?

Not at all.

The real point here is that the checkpoints shouldn't even be there to begin with.

Uhm...
"For the record, I am dead-set against illegal immigration, "

So Your resolve to the situation would be What?

So if this person had their rights violated once, you would be inclined to side with them, but having your rights violated time and time again validates a police-state?

When and or where have they demonstrated having their rights violated Once?... let alone Repeatedly.

All I'm saying is that if one feels the need to address a perceived issue and or violation of their Rights, taking it to public servants [Joe Blow] wouldn't seem the most productive and or actionable means to ensure their concern be noted or addressed in a proper or productive manner. Antagonistic approaches to those simply doing their "job" would seem akin to asking a Customs Official why the hell they're looking thru one's baggage. (?) Certainly not the Root of the problem or issue and certainly Not the means to achieve Any sort of positive result.

???

[speeling]

[edit on 2-6-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

So Your resolve to the situation would be What?

Severe punishment for the offenders and those who harbor them. Border patrol actually on the border might help too.

When and or where have they demonstrated having their rights violated Once?... let alone Repeatedly.

So you're saying then that what was posted in the video was false?

All I'm saying is that if one feels the need to address a perceived issue and or violation of their Rights, taking it to public servants [Joe Blow] wouldn't seem the most productive and or actionable means to ensure their concern be noted or addressed in a proper or productive manner.

While I see your point, I don't see how taking such grievences higher up would be any more productive.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox
Severe punishment for the offenders and those who harbor them. Border patrol actually on the border might help too.

Agreed. Moar focused at the root as opposed to the "leaves" who are only perfomring the "job" their appointed to.

So you're saying then that what was posted in the video was false?

not at all... Staged and or Provoked would seem a more descriptive term.

While I see your point, I don't see how taking such grievences higher up would be any more productive.

.. and yet Daily antagonistic "passes" thru "CheckPoint Charlie" will accomplish... What?

Awareness? Hardly.

YES. I agree that the current measures and or methods "in place" are seemingly ineffective and "appeasing" to say the least, but what the hell is this guy doing aside from being a pain in the backside of those who have No means to effect Any sort of Change in the status quo?... aside from quite probably p-ing off a few public servants who aren't too happy being posted in no-mans-land in the first place.

Perhaps a case of:
Right idea Wrong approach.. if you ask me.

What's the True Resolve? dunno... but their's isn't either.

Just sayin...

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 02:12 AM
link   
its true, acceptable methods of protest are ineffective, which is why they are acceptable. The only thing throughout american history that has made change is VIOLENT protest.

Violent revolution IS an option.(and im a pacifist!)

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   
I really have mixed feelings on this one. I think the guy with the camera was a complete punk even though I am completely against checkpoints within the United States unless you're a convicted criminal and reside in a Prison where I expect your movement shall be controlled as you have given up freedom of movement or search.

I think they should have let him go right away, instead of playing games. I think he should of said yes, I'm an American and not screwed with them either and take his problem with it to a higher level.

I think a free American should not be subject or harassed by these type of checkpoints.

However, I have no problem with it near the border- how far from the border should we accept border checkpoints? I don't know. As long as these checkpoints can only be used to look for illegal aliens, I would be fine with it. Problem is we give in an inch and they take a mile.

I remember these checkpoints when I lived in CA, before I moved in 74. Seems they were 30-40 miles from the border then too. They were always friendly and I think they only ask the questions in order to get you to slow down, so they can take a look.

I happen to live about 50 miles from the Northern Border and we don't have those type of checkpoints up here, but we do have plenty of the border patrols on the back roads looking for dope smugglers. I've never been harassed, and I don't have a problem saying I'm an American. If they asked to search my pack or vehicle I would probably refuse.

To be honest I'm more concerned with the DUI checkpoints the cops put up in the middle of America for revenue collection & enforcement- where they use DUI check or seatbelt check as a pretext to stop you ask for documents, checking for everything under the sun, run background checks, looking for FTA's, impede your business & free movement. It's all about control and if America becomes like a prison I will begin to fight the prison staff until I'm free or dead.

[edit on 2-6-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 05:39 AM
link   
I received a call from my son one afternoon saying he had been in a terrible traffic accident. The police had not arrived and he was sitting on the pavement and didn't know if he was injured or not. I rushed to the scene and found he had been hit head on by an illegal immigrant without a drivers license or auto insurance. Son's truck was totaled but he received only minor injuries.

Two months later I received a call from my daughter 300 miles away saying she had been in a wreck. She wasn't sure if she was alive. Her car was totaled. She received injuries. An illegal immigrant ran a stop sign and hit her automobile hurling it off a hill.

Although I dislike check points I feel they are a necessary evil and feel we need more.

It seems odd to me that I have traveled West to the California Coast, North to the Canadian boarder and South to key West, Fla and have never been stopped one time by any law enforcement agency. I can't go any further East as I am on the East coast.

Freedom has a price. I will gladly show my "papers" at a check point if it will get one drunk or one illegal alien off the streets.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 06:32 AM
link   
As far as I can remember they always had checkpoints inland from the border,and this is back in 60's,always asked if an American citizen,makes sense some can slip thru border,plus smugglers all don't look alike

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   
This really has nothing to do with illegal immigration. We are led to believe that, but it is just an excuse. As said by another poster, this is really about control. Control over US CITZENS. By the border, they say it is because of illegals. In the rest of the country, they say it is because of "traffic safety."

It all comes down to "papers please."

So don't confuse the issues. If you are concerned about illegal immigration, then support effective methods of fighting it, because obviously these checkpoints aren't doing a damn thing about the problem.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 10:57 PM
link   
the 407 in toronto is a private highway leased for 99 (effing) years to a private company.
if i use it, cameras read my license plate when i get on and when i get off, and then mail me the bill.
they have (sci-fi?) plate recognition technology. so why stop american cars at all?
where does the blackwell meet the blacktop?

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by billybob

I don't like the idea of public areas being privately owned one bit. All laws and rights are thrown right out the window, in favor of the owners own set of rules, which you may not have any idea about. For instance, they could legally charge you a thousand dollars say, for riding on their road, even if it wasn't posted what the price actually was before you got on. Or they might be able to asess some insane amount of money for speeding on their highway.

It may be different in Canada, but let me give you an example of how it works down here in the States. The police have to worry about establishing probable cause. But I do not have to worry about it at all, as a private security officer. So in other words, if I am hired by a private company to patrol that road, I don't need a reason to stop you, detain you, etc. I can do it arbitrarily, as an agent of the owner. I can enforce any idiotic rule the owner tells me to, and there is nothing you can do about it.

As far as reading license plates, the technology has been out there for some time now. Most of the police cars around here are equipped with it.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join