It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Footprint found on Mars?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Footprint found on Mars?

www.news.com.au

STUNNING photographs have emerged of NASA's new Mars spacecraft touching the Red Planet for the first time - and internet boffins are buzzing over what appears to be a footprint in the alien landscape.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Well its not "buzzing " here !!!

Does look like a four toed foot though.

Cheers

Mungo

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 12:00 AM
link   
The caption on the photo say it was a print made by the robotic arm.

I think Nasa is pulling a bigfoot joke

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Picture # 3 is interesting..

See the post on the horizon?

Cheers

Mungo

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by mungodave

I noticed that has well. Looks like some type of tower.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I see a rock that vaguely resembles the outline of a foot, but not a foot print.

The 3rd picture though, I have to say that one is interesting. If it's not the heat shield or the parachute at some weird angle then you might have something!

See stuff like that, I can get on board with. There shouldn't be pole like structures on a completely flat horizon.. That actually looks out of place, all these rock formations that look like a face or jesus or Egyptian statues, nahhh some times rocks are just rocks. Like this "foot print".

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Can someone post the link to picture #3 where the "post" is supposed to be please? I can't seem to find it.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by QBSneak000

The link is in the centre of the article

Cheers

Mungo

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 01:50 AM
link   
From the shadows on the right side of the "footprint" I get the impression that it's sticking up out of the ground and not depressed into the ground. I'm no expert though. I don't see why the robotic arm would be shaped into a foot. If it keeps going, there'll be footprints all over the place. Pretty cool either way.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Ah, found it. This has been debated in another thread. Nasa says its part of the parachute and back shell but.....

heres the link to the panorama video they have on their site which points this out.

Mars Panorama Video

CX

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Great pic.

I'm inclined to think rock though until i see a few more of these, or at least the other print to the pair.

CX.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 02:02 AM
link   
this may have been discussed already, but does anyone know why all the pics are in black and white? *scratches head* just figured that nasa would rather use color since that technology IS available to us.

anyway, no comment on the "foot" print. i have no idea what the robotic "arm" looks like and therefore cannot accurately judge if they are telling the truth or not.

i do see the "tower" in the third pic as well and upon zooming in, it looks like something even further out to the right, perhaps "dome-ish" shaped. sure would be nice viewing it in color, huh?!!

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by mungodave

That is not an impression it looks like it's sticking out of the ground. I'm sorry but this time I really think NASA is just flat out not even trying anymore.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 02:09 AM
link   

slightly enlarged & "enhanced"

Here's an article on Yahoo that says it came from the robotic arm that scooped up dirt:
Robotic arm of Mars spacecraft leaves 'footprint'

[edit on 2-6-2008 by Shakesbeer]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Yeah, I kinda went with the scoop idea, and went looking for some pictures of that arm.
The "toe" indentations could occur if the scoop of the arm had "nails" like some digging equipment has, and infact I found some artwork that showed Phoenix like that.
But then I thought Phoenix' own photos must show that darn scoop at some point and it did...

I can't see how that type of scoop could leave that indentation. But oh well...

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Here's my sixpenneth : My immediate reaction was that it was convex and thus was nothing more than a foot shaped rock. These things do happen. Now if there was several in a line.......

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by flice

Could the underside of the scoop be responsible for creating that mark in the dirt? Does anyone have a pic of the backside of the scoop?

TheBorg

sty

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 03:21 AM
link   
the mark on the ground is just a natural occurence, but indeed it looks funny. Why would a naked man walk on Mars anyway ?

CX

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 03:58 AM
link   
I agree with the underside of the scoop possibly being responsible for the marks.

It would be good to see other scoop marks to see what sort of similarities there are.

Then again, surely the texture of the ground would make a difference to the mark left? If it's stoney, the bucket might not make a nice even scoop mark?

Also, when you scoop, just like when you dig a hole with a spade, sometimes dirt falls back in when you lift it out. You don't get a perfect spade shaped hole every time do you?

CX.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Footprint or not. Do you htink nasa is stupid enough to disclose a real footprint and act as if it's nothing. NO. I'm pretty sure Nasa is holding the intresting shots for them selfs and wowing the crowd with rocks pictures.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join