It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google API can track a cell phone user location

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Our sister publication Techcrunch UK noticed that a Location services API had been added to Google Gears. The developers behind Gears have been plotting out future API additions for a while, and those plans have included having Geo-data available to mobile app developers (see the spec here). We found out today that Google is backing up their Location API with a large effort to map out cell-phone towers and wifi hotspots, so that a user’s location can be pin-pointed more precisely.

source

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I remember seeing a post in a thread about google being in league with the CIA and it is common knowledge that they have their hands deep in NASA.
It seems to me that this is a very passive way for DHS, FBI, CIA, DoD, and any other initials you can come up with, to gain tracking ability without making this a government project.
So many people jumped in feet first with the "street view" because it was cool and as many did as didnt want to see their own home from street level on the internet. These same naive individuals will be the testers of this new ability, calling their friends and playing internet Marko Polo.
Meanwhile, big brother now has a way to track even those PPM cellulars that were once untraceable.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Uh oh...This makes me really uncomfortable. It already bothers me that I can use Googlemaps and zoom in on my HOUSE, and I can see the Car in my driveway.

I suppose it COULD be a good thing, in terms of finding missing persons etc...BUT... I don't really like the idea that someone could track me.

I know its coming, its only a matter of time...but it still bothers me.

new topics

join