It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird Swarms of Millions of Ants on SURFACE.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I live in Northern Central California and noticed millions of ants in my garden swarming on top of each other today. I have uploaded pictures of the phenomenon. Please tell me what you guys think. Could this be a sign of an earthquake or something like that? I will upload more pictures soon.

Close Up of the Swarm

Close Up Again

Zoomed Out

*UPDATED: More Pictures*

Individual Ant from Swarm

Zoomed Out Further

[edit on 1-6-2008 by MrNorCal]

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Interesting pictures, although a bit out of focus. Were they doing anything or just hanging out? Was it near the coast or any big towns nearby?

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by stikkinikki

They were all crawling all over each other, the swarm itself was about 3-5 cmm thick of ants. The nearest towns are either Modesto to the North or Fresno to south. And no beachs or coast, thats about 2 hours the west.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Ant War!

I see that in my yard year after year
that's two deferent colonies fighting it out

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Whoa, I grew up in Modesto.... Very odd, about the ants. They were all just sorta gathered there in like a 'pool' of themselves? A pond of ants??

Very weird... Unless something was spilled or dead right there...

EDIT: Whoa!!! Ant Wars?!!? I've never seen such a thing, but this is fascinating as hell

[edit on 1-6-2008 by LostNemesis]

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

That seems plausible but generally when I see two different colonies, which I have plenty in my yard, they look different. They are usually at least have a small size difference if anything, but these ants all look identical to each other. I just went back out to check it out and I couldn't spot any dramatically different ants.

*EDIT*
And yes Nemesis, it is literally just a pool of ants in that one spot, and nothing to my knowledge has been spilled or killed there. And the rest of my animals, 8 cats and 2 dogs, are not acting unusual.

[edit on 1-6-2008 by MrNorCal]

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I don't think anyone can afford to ignore obvious signs of an impending quake, this is exactly the type of warning that China's people are saying now 'why didn't the government heed these signs'. Has there been any body of water missing or moved lately? Any other sign from pets? You should check out Kattraxx's threads on earthquakes, inform yoursef.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
If you have two deferent colonies of the same species they will fight.
It might be a large yard we think because of their size but they like us fight over resources

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Random idea...

FRY THEM, BURN 'EM UP!! That would be amusing?

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Hey get a magnifying glass
no! not to burn them I'll bet you find a lot of them locked in a death grip on each other!

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Hey get a magnifying glass
no! not to burn them I'll bet you find a lot of them locked in a death grip on each other!

Actually the few that were still alive were really grabbing onto someone else and it looked as if they were "hitting" or "punching" each other. And if you notice in my photo thats zoomed out the fullest, you can see the swarm was right in the middle of a walking path and there were ants on both sides walking towards the swarm.

Thanks Slayer!

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Hey I like to watch them fight yes it happens yearly where we live you know that if one colony defeats another they will take the unborn eggs and grow them as members of the victorious colony

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
another possibility is this : check out this link

taos-telecommunity.org...

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

cool thanks for the link

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet
another possibility is this : check out this link

taos-telecommunity.org...

while that link was extremely interesting, i don't think that is it. What i saw was a stationary "mob". It was not moving towards any direction.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
YES I see more ant piles outside aswell (near my home......I hate ants!!!!!!)...............Not this is a conspiracy but very strange that all of a sudden i see some wich is natural of course...

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Ants are crazy. They're so strong for their size, they could eat us if they wanted to. I was watching a documentary on this type of ant, and it went and attacked blind ants and killed the queen and they thought the new ant was the queen? something like that. They take down animals and stuff too, they're crazy little buggers.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I personally reccomend that you look in the upper right hand corner of the first picture and ask yourself how "ants" do that.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 03:56 AM
link   
I also live in Northern CA and I have noticed this year more ants then usual. Especially the carpenter ants. We had our yard and house sprayed a few weeks ago. It seemed to have helped the spider problem but the ants are still going strong. They are destructive little suckers. They have made tunnels under our driveway and in spots it is crumbling and sinking from them.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I think it's just a battle between two groups, nothing to do with earthquakes. I live in Michigan and this happens at a certain spot in my driveway about once or twice a year, for the past several years. Happened again yesterday, with millions of ants involved. Looks like coffee grounds moving around until you get up close. It sure is weird.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join