It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Madness is increasing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I have a family member who works for a jail where she performs intake evaluations.

She said that lately she has seen more and more "First Break" cases in their early 20's.

No one knows what illness they have, and what might be causing it, and they all end up with 5 or 6 diagnoses.

And to top it off, no matter how they drug these people up, they just get worse.

Anyone else seeing this phenomena out there?

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
You are giving absolutely no info on what first break is.Is it a disease,mental illness,drugs related?

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by alienstar
You are giving absolutely no info on what first break is.Is it a disease,mental illness,drugs related?

Sorry,
First break refers to the first time someone has a mental break.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
It's magic in the air.. intangible.. unprovable.. but it's there.. oh yes. .it's there.. changing people's minds into evil chaotic things... ah ... to start a fire in the minds of men...

i'ts NOT the GMO food, the viruses sprayed on meat, nor is it prions.. nor is it the massive amounts of pharmaceuticals found in the drinking water... it's nothing scientifically provable.. and factual like these things.. no.. it's just "happening" ... mysterious.. supernatural...oooooh..

also.. when you say "mental break" what exactly do you mean?? i mean come on.
do you mean a mental breakdown? a nervous breakdown?
are these people just snapping and becoming extremely violent?
what exactly occurs during one of these "mental breaks" you so eloquently described in full detail for the reader and the discussion audience..?

-

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
There is a very real and little understood phenomenon that people need to be aware of. Particularly if you play lots of video games, focus on a computer or read in a busy area or work in a cubical. I would bet that prisons are ripe for this too, as there is probably a lot going on while people are trying to focus their attention elsewhere to cope and ignore it.

Subliminal Distraction

There's a bit more information if you google it. Everyone, particularly parents of teens who play videos, should be aware of this bizzare connection between periphial vision and concentration.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Reading that website I just learned something new related to computer-sitting.

Thanks.

[edit on 1-6-2008 by Skyfloating]

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Every so often a perfectly rational ATS member seems to "go off the deep end", out of character, so to speak. I am sure you know what I am referring to.

Given the deep concepts, tons of interesting info found on ATS and how easy it is to read for hours on end, it's quite possible that a break may occur if the proper conditions for concentration are not met.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Could you elaborate a little bit on how this might happen in regards to concentration and peripheral stimulation? I want a better grasp of the idea.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
The phenomenon has no research about it anywhere. It appears in first semester college psychology under psychophysics, subliminal sight, and peripheral vision reflexes.

A classroom reference to the original discovery might be, "subliminal sight caused a problem in the early days of modern office design." That's what my teacher said.

When she did, I made the connection to the problem I had encountered as an engineering student forty years earlier. I began to investigate it when my wife had a psychotic break in the payroll office of the University of Alabama about ten years later. No doctor had heard of the problem and insisted drugs for her condition were safe. She had a severe reaction to them and began a decline.

Although you can learn to ignore movement in your peripheral vision while you attempt to concentrate, you do not have voluntary control over the brain system that uses subliminal sight to detect movement and trigger the reflex. When you ignore that movement the startle will stop but the detection of moment and attempt to trigger the reflex continue.

The repeating subliminal appreciation of threat-movement will eventually color thought and reason. Outcomes can be shown to be panic attacks, paranoia, fear, depression, and thoughts of suicide.

No one has established why the mental break happens. The lecture suggestion was that the effort to ignore the vision reflex caused a conflict that would build until the mental break happened. I have the theory that you brain eventually finds the subliminal vision input and attempts to understand it and integrate it into consciousness and reality. Vision input for the reflex trigger is M-Channel only. This is half the normal vision input. It is missing P-Channel, color and shape information.

This creates false connections and paths between neurons. When enough of these exist your brain cannot function and you have a dissociative mental break. If there is no additional exposure the new synapses dissolve from disuse. You will recover with no treatment and never have additional problems.

One of my wife’s first symptoms was hearing voices.

THE CUBICLE WAS CREATED TO PREVENT THIS PROBLEM. Cubicles block peripheral vision so that triggering movement cannot be detected. Placing your computer where there is no one walking nearby while you use it would be Cubicle Level Protection .

Sit in a corner or with your back to the wall, study in a room with nothing that moves or light that blinks, and pick a classroom seat beside a quiet person that does not fidget.

Yes Classroom seating while digesting the lecture and making notes is the same situation as the business office problem. Our physiology evolved for hunter-gather societies. The startle with the detection of movement in peripheral vision was a benefit to those early pre-human ancestors.

Even so there are a group of mental problems of those primitive societies such as Grisi Siknis. There have been periodic outbreaks of this problem and a recent one after hurricane Fredric. Other Culture Bound Syndromes are Ghost Sickness, and Windigo Psychosis.

I have suggested that too-small single-room living arrangements allow Subliminal Distraction exposure when family groups are forced by weather to stay inside that single room hut for several days.

We have no adaptation for sitting in a crowded situation with threat-movement in peripheral vision while concentrating for long periods. Daydreaming is enough dissociation to engage the detection system and cause Subliminal Distraction exposure.

Cubicle Level Protection is the only solution.

VisionAndPsychosis.Net

[edit on 4-10-2008 by asala]

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Could it be crystal Meth or whatever Methamphetamines? Meth just keeps getting worse and it is one of those drugs, like crack, that just destroys the brain big time.

"Drugs are bad, mkay?"

new topics

top topics

join