It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Phoenix mars lander pictures tampered with ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I love space, have done ever since I was a small lad, and yet over the years that nagging 'we should be further and doing more' feeling has never gone away, followed up closely by 'are they lying to us ' thoughts.

Problem 1) The American flag on the mars lander. Here look at this from their official pics.

Now there is in plain view no red stripes on the flag. They look blue. Is that a tampered image ?

here, look at their picture taken whilst the probe was on earth.

....... along with that I want to know why QUATER OF A MILLION peoples names were added to a list and placed onto the disk... just who are they, why are they there, and more importantly - wtf ?!? names ? on a disk that they may not even be able to use / read / understand ??

In this photo provided by NASA/JPL-Caltech/University of Arizona, a US flag and a DVD containing a message for future explorers of Mars, science fiction stories and art about the planet and the names of 250,000 people sit on the deck of the Phoenix Mars Lander on May 26. A communications glitch between the Phoenix Mars probe and Earth has delayed operations, two days after the spacecraft landed.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

All in all i just don't understand thje point and or need for that at all. More to the point it is plain to see that colour tampering has taken place in my opinion.

[edit on 1-6-2008 by Dan Tanna]

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
No but how we look at them and what the human brain makes out of them,makes them tampered.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
So your saying that those colours match and its my eyes ?

What a waste of a reply. If your not bothered to add to the thoughts / thread why bother at all ?

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Not at all...but mars is what it is.I dont think the government is going to tamper anything esp when they make it public.Dont forgot when u build a device that goes up in space you have many companies that are linked to the financing,building,research to just name a few that are connected with the mars lander.That by itself can make up for thousands of linked people to help get it there.What i find difficult when people come on here posting pics of rocks and they claim they are (other worldly things).Just take a look around ats and see for yourself.Not bashing your thread at all.Just a opinion of a skeptic.As for the colors what you see is what u get.Looking at the color with the atmospheric condictions on mars and being radio signaled to earth and what they took there looks like on earth in the second pic are going to look different.

[edit on 1-6-2008 by alienstar]

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
The flags stripes in the first photo show red on my computer screen.

There could be a lens filter of some kind, but it looks ok to me.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I see Red Sorry buddy on my puter
my girlfriends laptop on the other hand is slightly darker could be blueish I donno

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Dan Tanna

Go to www.marsanomalyresearch.com... and read report #140, Mars Phoenix Lander Question. Not sure if it's what type of info your looking for but it is a good read.

As far as the pictures go, I'm seeing the same as you.

[edit on 1-6-2008 by BlindWatcher1]

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
.......????????????

WTF ?? The second image is showing all good and proper red stars and stripes, the first is not.... and yet you all can see red on your screens ??

And cheers for that link to the mars stuff. Appreciated.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I see exactly the same colors in both pics.Just the mars picture is lighter in color.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
You have a good point the pics colours are very suspect. If you compare the surface of the probe around the CD and flag the one on earth is white and the one on mars seems to be PINK.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
there is no doubt that NASA Messes with stuff but these pics are not that remarkable

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Has anyone thought maybe its the pc you are viewing these from and not the pictures since people are posting different opinions?

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by alienstar

That was the first thing that came to mind so I checked on her laptop and the colors looked different

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
the only real deference I see is the lighting one is in a brightly lit room and the other is on Mars lit by a sun farther away than we are used to. Earth being Closer than Mars etc yada yada Blah Blah Blah

[edit on 1-6-2008 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
hirise-pds.lpl.arizona.edu...

A picture of mars dunes with earth coloured sand i.e. what i would expect to find in the saraha.

Guess different areas have different chemical comp and layers..

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
In another thread, I believe

In another thread I think a post explained this sort of phenomena quite well.
I'm not adept at links, but my recollection is along the lines that these machine see in BW and that is then colorized at JPL.
Nothing queer about it, just NASA trying to save money/ time/ bandwidth getting the images back to Earth.
Sorry about the credit not being given to above mentioned thread and post.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Dan Tanna

Colors look different to me as well. Look at the color of the metal especially, in the Mars picture the metal has a red tint to it. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Nasa made the pictures from Mars have a redder look than what you would see if you were actually standing there. Maybe its done to fit what peoples perception of Mars are. I believe some of the 1st photos from the viking missions showed a much different picture.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
It's a blue red on my computer... and given the rust-colored environment that might rob some of the spectrum refraction.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
This effect is due to two reasons.

First, the way digital images are captured. In a consumer digital camera, you have an image sensor. These images sensors are sensitive to any light. When light hits them, they generate an analog signal. That signal is than converted into a number by an analog-to-digital converter. You can end up with a number that's 0, corresponding to black, ranging up to a number that's 256, corresponding to white. But this just gives you a black and white image. To generate a color image, each element in the sensor has a filter in front of it. A third have red filters, a third have green filters, and a third have blue filters. Each pixel in the resulting image is creating by combining one red, one green, and one blue value into a final value. This works great, except you have essentially cut the resolution of your sensor by two thirds. The sensors NASA use get around this by putting the filters in front of the camera, instead of in front of the sensor. So each image is captured at full resolution, but the data in the picture only corresponds to one color. However, standard red, green, and blue filters don't necessarily give you as much scientific value as other color filters could. Since the filter goes in front of the camera, you can build the filters on a wheel, so you can put many different filters in there. Rather than just red, green, and blue, you ca put stuff like infrared and ultraviolet filters in there. So you're no longer capturing red, green, and blue values that can be used to create a true color image. You're capturing wavelengths of light the hunan eye can't see. So even if you combine them into a "true color" image, it's not going to look exactly like what your eye (or a standard camera) will see because the data it captured is different than the data your eyes use to see.

Second, the issue of white balance. White balance refers to how a camera determines what color a neutral gray is. Let's say you're out in the sun. The sun is yellow. So if you hold up a white piece of paper, it will actually be slightly yellow in color. Your brain adjusts for this effect automatically, so you see the white as white. But a camera records the actual light as it receives it, which will be yellow. You (or likely your camera automatically) adjusts the color value in the image so whites look white. You can observe this effect by taking a picture outside and locking the the balance on your camera and then taking a picture inside. Everything will look blue because the camera had to add blue to the image so the yellow paper looked white. This applies to the images from Mars because the sun is filtering through a different atmosphere, giving it a different color than it would have here on Earth. The values can be adjusted in the image so the white balance is close to what it is here on Earth, but it won't be perfect. This can effect the colors in the whole image.

So, to sum it up, there are valid scientific reasons for the images from Phoenix to look the way they do.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Wow thanks for that.

I appreciate the effort to type it, but could you please space it a bit next time to make it easier for me to read ?

Many thanks dude, Dan.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join