It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why We're really going back to the moon... let me introduce you to: the ATHLETE

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Many of us on ATS are aware of the many blurred images of possible structures on the moon. We have studied these pictures with expert members such as John Lear and Internos, and all have that same feeling that NASA is hiding something.

Recently, it seems, the rest of the world is also catching up.
Two recent threads exploded onto ATS showing documentaries that cover the subject.
Please refer to the following threads:
NASA Exposed
Alien Moon

It is very hard to come to any conclusions without having inside information, so we must resort to looking ahead, at NASA's future plans, to really piece the pieces of the puzzle together.
For some, the thought of Extra terrestrials on the moon is outrageous.
How can something so close to the earth hold the key to many secrets we thought impossible?
But today, I will add another piece of the puzzle, hopefully helping people come to the same conclusions that I have come up with... that there is something on the moon.

As I mentioned earlier, we need to look at the little pieces of information leaked by NASA and put two and two together. So that is what I am going to attempt to do with this thread, focusing on our next maned mission to the moon.

Let me present to you all, the ATHLETE: The Lunar Habitat Hauler...

Athlete, a six-limbed habitat-hauler being developed by the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California. Made of aluminum, this prototype Athlete is eight feet wide and seven feet tall. It gets around using six independently controlled legs equipped with ultra-light wheels. In more-challenging terrain, the wheels can lock in place and function as feet, allowing Athlete to tiptoe through boulder-strewn fields or climb up steep hills. The mission-ready robot, which will be about twice the size of the prototype pictured here and made of steel, should be able to haul a load of up to 15 tons pretty much anywhere it wants to—as long as it obeys a 3mph speed limit.
Source

The main purpose of the Athlete is to haul actual habitats on the moon so that Astronauts can spend extended periods of time on the moon. The article describes the Athlete as an old Winnebago... You drive the Winnebago wherever you want, park it, and then take the jeep out for a ride (in this case, lunar rovers).

An amazing thing about the ATHLETE is that multiple ATHLETEs can dock together and seal different habitats together.

When multiple Athletes are docked together, the habitat doors can be aligned within a thousandth of an inch, creating a seal tight enough that astronauts can pass from their living quarters to a science laboratory next door in their shirtsleeves.
Source

Basically, the ATHLETE will set up mobile bases on the moon.

So now we have to ask ourselves a couple of questions:

1) Why do we need bases on the moon?
We have plenty of information on the moon, or so it would seem. I mean, we havent been back to the moon is over 20 years. So why would we need bases where astronauts have living quarters for extended periods of time?

They will be searching for solutions to a number of scientific puzzles. For example: Did a meteorite really kill off the dinosaurs and, if so, when did it happen? The clues may be on the moon. “A big impact on Earth would have covered the moon in a thin blanket of dust,” Wilcox says. “Because the moon has no plate tectonics, the layers beneath the surface are presumably undisturbed. Using the scoop on Athlete would allow us to look at the layering and get an unambiguous timeline of when those events occurred—like with tree rings.”

... the Mars Phoenix lander is doing the same thing as we speak... drilling and testing soil samples... un-manned...
And, we have the answers to that hear on earth...
So what are we really going back for?

2) Why the name?
I was saving this until now, but ATHLETE stands for: All-Terrain Hex-Limbed Extra-Terrestrial Explorer...
Extra-Terrestrial Explorer?
Last time I checked, it was our moon... so WE arent the Extra-Terrestrials...
To me, this is the biggest hint that the ATHLETE is going to be used to explore some of these supposed ET sites we have discovered on the moon...

The Athlete's prototype is already space ready and they plan on having a full scale model on the moon for un-maned testing by 2012.
Our next moon mission is scheduled for 2020, where they will be setting up the bases on the ATHLETEs already on the moon.
They even aim for having the ATHLETE being able to repel down vertical rock faces using grappling hooks...
Hmmm I wonder what they want to check out in those craters eh?

Enjoy the following video, and come to your own conclusions about why we're really going back to the moon

[edit on 1-6-2008 by Odessy]

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Wow, some real crazy info on some happening on the moon as well...
and perhaps why you want to get your hands on Lunar Real Estate soon...

With the iconic Space Shuttle nearing retirement, the pressure is on NASA to design a new manned vehicle — one that will deliver us safely to the lunar surface by 2020 before building a lasting lunar base.
Source

Looks like a permanent base is also in the works...

... which means people will probably be able to cash in on this...

Real estate prices may be dropping domestically, but on the Moon they're still climbing. The investment bank UBS released a report concluding that lunar land prices have risen 40 percent since the start of 2007. The costs vary, with some sources claiming the high was $37 per acre in December 2005 and others saying a chunk of land will cost you as little as $56.

... The king of space real estate, Dennis Hope, of the Lunar Embassy USA, claims to have sold 3.5 million parcels on the Moon and other planets.
Source

hmmm, I would be interested in buying some of that real estate we see all the bases on...
It would also be interesting if all those spots have already been reserved...

I think 2020 may be the start of something big...

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
"1. Why are we going back to the moon?"

Because it's close, and it's the easiest place to get to with a long term manned mission in the short term future. If we can't get by on the moon, then why do you think we'd be able to get by on another planet, like Mars?

"2. Why the name?"

Extraterrestrial doesn't just mean "alien" it means anything outside of Earth.

ex·tra·ter·res·tri·al Audio Help /ˌɛkstrətəˈrɛstriəl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ek-struh-tuh-res-tree-uhl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective 1. outside, or originating outside, the limits of the earth.
–noun 2. an extraterrestrial being: a science fiction novel about extraterrestrials conquering the earth.

dictionary.reference.com...

Anything outside of the atmosphere is considered extraterrestrial. We have come to associate it with alien, but it really describes anything in space.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
It still doesn't explain why we haven't been back in so long.

Sure the moon is the closest thing we have to the earth, but its nothing like mars.
Mars has an atmosphere and a different gravitational pull than does the moon.
We have simulators for Astronauts to test that out.

Now, NASA did give us reasons why they are sending it, soil samples and so on... but come on, thats crap.
The Phoenix lander is already doing that and is unmanned.
To think we need permanent bases on the moon for that type of testing is silly imo. unnecessary to say the least.

I honestly believe their is a reason for it, but none that they described.
Explore the moon? havent we already done that other rovers or satellite images?
NASA tells us there is nothing on the moon... the reason why we havent gone back in over 20 years.
Why set up bases now?

Theres an answer, but you really have to dig deep to find it.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
We haven't gone back because even by Apollo 13 it was too routine, and boring. And the "We've already been there, why are we bothering to go back" mentality was prevalent.

We've hardly "explored the moon in rovers". We've explored SOME of the moon, but only a tiny portion of it. There's still a lot we can learn from the moon.

Even if the moon is a lot different from Mars, we can still learn a lot about living on other planets from having bases there. And we have to start somewhere. Sooner or later we're going to HAVE to go to other planets. Now is a good time to start, and the moon is a good place to practice before hitting somewhere far away, where we can't get help to them in a matter of days if something goes wrong.

new topics

top topics

join