It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If we skipped the dark age

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 06:56 PM
link   
If The earth hadn't gone through 800 or so years of the dark age, what stage do you think our technology and other stuff would be at?

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 06:59 PM
link   
theres only one way i can put this you would be living like the flinstones

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 07:01 PM
link   
we would all be french fried by now, certainly

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Hard to tell. The Dark Ages was brought on by the fall fo Rome. So we'd probably still all be Roman. Then again, without conflict, technology wouldn't progress as fast.

It all depends on when we learn to sue gunpowder and steam power. The Greeks had the plans for a steam engine, they just never realized the potential of it.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Esoterica... didn't alexander the great have a steam engine as a child for a toy? i know someone from that era did.

and the fall of rome was inevitable. everything great falls eventually, and usually from the inside. sad to say, i think the us is next, and probably within the next 50 years. china or russia again will be the next superpower.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 11:21 AM
link   
If i had to say whothe next superpower would be even though i dont think we will have one it would be the EU

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   
well, we wouldnt be any hove cars or anything like that, but, i do believe that weapons would diffenetly more devoped. in the time of the dark ages, ppl were only concerned with surving and conquorering other lands. weapnos were a necessity for the life of those people

p.s. the dark ages only occured in Europe.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fitzpatrick
If i had to say whothe next superpower would be even though i dont think we will have one it would be the EU

Actually, the current projections have China surpassing the US in overall power between 2025-2050. And historically, the only time there has been a peaceful "changing of the guard" was when the US surpassed Britain.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Are you centain that in the time of the Dark Ages nothing happened in technology/sociology/economy/politics?

The medieval times had great achievements in those fields, it can't be treated as the time of ignorance.

If we skipped the medieval ages we would be on the level we are now OR we would even get behind. I don't really believe we would achieve any advance

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 06:00 PM
link   
It was called the Dark Ages because the "church" destroyed by decree everything they saw as a threat or to be blasphemous. This included, chemistry, astronomy, philosophy, alchemy and an untold number of drawings and inventions were destroyed and there creators "strewn" about the countryside.

It was an ugly period for technology. The way of the sword was the only way. Even practioners of gunpowder were hanged as "warlocks"

Pitty.

new topics

top topics

join