It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

End of the internet as we know it. Can it be true?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
ipower.ning.com...

Every significant Internet provider around the globe is currently in talks with access and content providers to transform the internet into a television-like medium: no more freedom, you pay for a small commercial package of sites you can visit and you'll have to pay for seperate subscriptions for every site that's not in the package.

The internet to end in 2012. Could it be true? I cannot positively confirm the truth factor of this information but I assure you if it is true we are all in trouble. They would have us mindlessly obeying their laws even if it means lack of freedom. I would like to know if anyone has anymore information on the topic and please share your comments. This could spell the doom for many of our favorite sites.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Well here is a conspiracy theory that i trust to be correct!!!
It is very possible. However i do not think that they will eliminate "free" internet straight away. First legislations and actions will take our sharing site (being done now). Then major networks will provide much faster service with a lot of "people grabbing" content - like on line new hollywood movies and famous soap operas. Commercial money will go that way, current internet will slowly die out, and when its threat to new networks is almost surely disappeared - big bucks are going to be paid by general public for integrated tv-pc-vcr-dvd-othercoolletters and further service.
Maybe Mayans were giving their warnings about that?

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Yes I believe your opinion may be correct. Either way the future of the internet does not seem as bright as it should be considering the new technology that is coming out. It seems once again the forces of the world are limiting us, this new internet. I would definitely not like.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   
If they are to limit the internet in all its freedom and its glory, something has to die.

Either me or the systems that limits it.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Right now, we are pretty free to gather and talk about them......they don`t like that.

Its dangerous for them to allow people to talk.........so they distract and divide.

I don`t think its about money.....more like control / power.

Has anyone watched the TV lately?.........its like watching kiddy programs, even the news and serious stuff........keeping viewers dumbed down & Zombiefied.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Well, in the United States pretty much every bill that has come up trying to change net neutrality has been shot down, in part because there are a lot of rabid activists, which is a good thing. If some big conspiracy was underway to try and slip this through it wouldn't happen without a massive fight from millions on the internet.

I don't really buy that article specifically, though. Looks like they just tacked on 2012 because that's what is popular right now and then just give you a lot of vague information. It's not like the companies involved are a secret or anything, Comcast is one of them.

Anyway, help the resistance!

[edit on 1-6-2008 by davion]

[edit on 1-6-2008 by davion]

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
What's with all you ungrateful freedom-huggers?

Do you not realize the time and money the over-compensating old white men in power spend to try to dumb you down? And here you just spit in their face. They spend their poor lonely lives trying to program you with the highest quality entertainment and what thanks do they get for all their hard work?

It's a crying shame really. They give an inch and you take a mile. You get a little freedom and then act like spoiled brats when it's not to your specifications.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
This is my George Orwells version of the future of Youtube and basically the internet. Does it hold truth? You tell me.

[edit on 1-6-2008 by The time lord]

top topics

join