It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China kicks off drive to kick plastic bag habit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   

China kicks off drive to kick plastic bag habit

www.reuters.com

BEIJING, June 1 (Reuters) - China on Sunday became the latest country to declare war on plastic bags in a drive to save energy and protect the environment.

Under new regulations, flimsy bags under 0.025 millimetres thick are banned and shopkeepers must charge for carrier bags. Those found breaking the law face fines and could have their goods confiscated.

Shoppers in downtown Beijing and in Internet chatrooms seemed largely sympathetic to the idea. China, which gets through three billion plastic bags a day, is increasingly aware of the damage to the environment caused by its breakneck growth.

"Sorry, I can't give you a plastic bag. It's illegal from today," said one young woman, Zhang Lihua, who was selling cosmetics in a department store in the capital.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Wow! Who would have thought China would be progressive? I ran into this at Ikea here in Atlanta the other day. I had to pay .05 cents a bag. Now, I'm not sure how that will help the problem, because I really don't mind paying for my bags, but the bags will still end up someplace after I trash them.

Either way, this is something we should adopt here in the US.

The only problem I see with this, is that at 3 billion bags a day, thats going to be one heck of a revenue generator which companies will then lobby to maintain.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1-6-2008 by Quazga]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Nothing? Nada?

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Actually I wonder why this news is only being reported in the West a half year after it is introduced... I mean, this is already introduced in China and forced through the beginning of this year, hundreds, if not thousands of small plastic manufacturers closed their doors. And the consumers are usually now bringing a re-usable own bag to buy stuff in the supermarket.

We have to reduce pollution to have a sustainable long-term economic growth and development, so more of these kinds of policies are being introduced. For example, in Xiamen city it was planned AND approved for a chemical company to setup a plant a bit outside the city. After people's protests, the local government revoked the license and the plans are suspended without knowing any timeframe. Imagine the millions already invested by this (foreign) chemical company. Seems like we have to find a goof balance between saving the environment and maintaining the developments.

P.s. And of course I can not resist to comment the following: If this was a China bashing thread or article you can guaranteed of more visitors and participants in the discussion
Letting the people know that China is relatively progressive and do think about the environment is just not selling in ATS

[edit on 2/6/08 by IchiNiSan]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I would like to know what was wrong with the brown paper bags.

anyways, have you seen how flimsy they are making the tote type bags and how small they are. The ones they want us to purchase to put our products in? OMG!!! Just another way for them to steal our money!!!!

Anyways, the government did this stuff to themselves instead of making products better through time they made them worse and cheaper. Knowing that people will say, “ hey new model got to have it” they get rid of old model and new model is just not as good! It doesn’t even last as long.

They have done this with objects as small as light bulbs and batteries to washers and dryers and cars, etc….

So they the Government filled up the landfills and is the one responsible for this mess!

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 12:44 AM
link   
No so sure about the government, it is more the market forces who is introducing crappy products. So for example in China you will need governmental regulation to direct the market.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   
the bags we buy in sprouts (cloth) are sized just fine, and cheap, and you can go on using them, they are a great idea. I only have 4 bags, and i fit all i need usually into just 2 (im not greedy). I bought them one time and probably wont need to buy more for a few years. Problem with paper bags is still destruction of trees...its a finite source. It takes nothing for me to pick my bags up and bring them with me whenever i go shopping. Its a great idea, and i cant imagine any reason why anyone would be against it. Its even cute and green! *(my bags)

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by pexx421

Exactly reusable bags are they way to go plastic bags are actually easier on the environment they use less energy than it takes to process paper for the brown bag clan but there again you would have to start chopping down trees the plastic bags we use are design to break down a lot quicker than when they first came out those bags are probably still around today

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I was at Target a few weeks ago and they were selling reusable bags made out of their old bags for $6.99!! I said forget that I will stick with the environmentally unsound plastic ones, then I noticed that our grocery chain here was selling nice cloth green ones for .99 cents. I bought ten of em. Now I'm green. Just doing my part to save the world. I think it would be great if we adopted this kind of legislation in the U.S. but again, that would put the plastic bag makers out of business. Can't win for losing.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga

Wow! Who would have thought China would be progressive? I ran into this at Ikea here in Atlanta the other day. I had to pay .05 cents a bag. Now, I'm not sure how that will help the problem, because I really don't mind paying for my bags, but the bags will still end up someplace after I trash them.

Yes, and it is because 5 cents is nothing. In Scandinavian countries we have paid for plastic bags for more than a decade now, and a standard one is 50 cents, the bigger ones with handles up to 1 dollar. That will teach you how to take care of the ones you buy.

BTW, Ikea is a Swedish company, and they have a policy of enviromental sustanability, so I guess they're just trying to teach you awareness of the enviroment, something I'm not sure Wallmart does (charge for plastic bags).

But you'll need to pay a lot more before it'll work. You need your government to put a high tax on the bags, yes you need to have the fredom to polute curbed.

In other words you need to become more progresive (or less reactionary).

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 01:39 AM
link   
What is everyone using for trash bags? don't you guys still use plastic for that?

What about the tons, tons, tons, tons of plastic bottles of coke, pepsi, juice, milk, butters, waters, pill bottles, etcccccc

Seriously there is so much plastic being used you can't name it all. Were harping about some bags.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Shar

Every recycable container/bottle/bag/can for whatever, be it groceries, coke, beer or beans you should be forced to pay a deposit for to make sure it goes back in recycling. It's about wasting less resources, i.e. a cleaner enviroment. It's about restricting your not godgiven right to do like you want.

It is all very unamerican, I know, but nontheless what you need to do if you don't want to polute your place of living beyond the uninhabitable.

In Denmark for instance, cans for beer, coke, etc was banned for more than two decades. EU forced us to open up for them, but about 30 cents is included in the price when you buy anything in such a container. When you return the empty can you get back the deposit. Simple as that.

Recycling only way to go.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Cars, cars, cars, and more cars. Trucks, trucks, trucks and more trucks. Buses, buses, buses and more buses. Trains, planes, etcccc……

Everything you buy today is just about plastic!!!! Years ago all of the drinks you purchased came in glass bottles. Milk, Juice, coke, etc….

Plastic is everywhere. Pictures, mirrors, folders, notebooks, like I said its endless to the plastic!!!!

Pill bottles and Medicine bottles was glass bottles.

Then without our consent everyone switches from glass to plastic. The companies knowing plastic was even more harmful to us! Yet they did it anyways. There is threads about plastic here on the ats even.

Why the harp on tiny plastic bags that people reuse as trash bags for their smaller cans. Or to put things in. Why now?

Khunmoon,

I agree we should be given money back for recycling. That’s what they use to do for bottles. They don’t want us to do this though. IMO.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 02:19 AM
link   
the point of the thread was "how interesting, china is taking progressive steps before even america" and i think it was to light up for people how far behind america is on all ecological issues. At any rate, i see the point of a few people here is "well we're polluting so much, why cut back at all? so little wont make a difference" and that has to do with the very american value of instant gratification. they dont realize that you start with one little bit...add a bit here, then a bit there, and eventually there is progress. All americans know is "If it doesnt make it happen now, its not worth it" hence all the credit card debt and lack of retirement. Thank god all the world doesnt follow in our (carbon) footprints.

new topics

top topics

join