It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fungus Use Improves Corn-to-ethanol Process

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Fungus Use Improves Corn-to-ethanol Process

www.sciencedaily.com

ScienceDaily (May 30, 2008) — Growing a fungus in some of the leftovers from ethanol production can save energy, recycle more water and improve the livestock feed that's a co-product of fuel production, according to a team of researchers from Iowa State University and the University of Hawai'i.

"The process could change ethanol production in dry-grind plants so much that energy costs can be reduced by as much as one-third," said Hans van Leeuwen, an Iowa State professor of civil, construction and environmental engineering and the leader of the research project.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Another use for one of the most fascinating lifeforms on the planet.

It would be much more efficient however if they used sugar cane (or even sugar beets) instead of corn... so much energy is wasted converting the starch in corn to sugar first that the payback is minimalized, whereas using sugar cane, as Brazil does eliminates that step entirely and the yield is much greater and of higher quality as well.

www.sciencedaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
grover i must say that you keep coming up with some awesome pieces of information . i dont know much about fungi and would like to learn more but i starred and flagged this one .
two thumbs up

new topics

join