It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Ice' found underneath Mars lander

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
they're just now admitting that there is water on mars after how many years of cover up?

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover

Originally posted by rocksarerocks
Don't you know, that is the thing to do here at ATS. What you do is post completely wrong titles for threads.

For the last BLOODY time... I posted the title as I originally came across it on:

www.unexplained-mysteries.com...

Its link was to:

www.sciencedaily.com...

And after I read the article I felt that the first title was as accurate.

If I was wrong so be it... but I posted what I thought was an honest title.

I have stated this several times now and I am getting sick and tired of having to defend myself over it.

[edit on 2-6-2008 by grover]

I'm with you Grover. The pedantics have taken over and one of them in particular must be having a bad day.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
They probably did not want to send it to the obvious area of the Big White Patch on North Pole on Mars because it might send a big story to the world and politics to suggest Global warming is not related to the Earth and they might detect big Auroras too at these poles to measure the readings. Which means more exposure that it's not man's fault if the sun decides to change our weather a bit.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 01:34 AM
link   
www.news.com.au...

Salt doesn't melt....

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

RockPuck, How many planets cores have you visited exactly?

I am being a little funny, not meaning to be insulting. My point is that I have to question if anyone really knows that to be a fact somehow.

There is plenty of BS everybody knows science out there.

How do we know they stop spinning? Maybe the cores of planets pull momentum from the solar orbit and electromagnetic forces?

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 02:39 AM
link   
A very interesting mission being brought forth by the most elite of man kind’s intellect, who would have guessed that we’d as a race, go this far in human adventure. I hope everything goes well for the little bugger, say what ever happened to the previous hyped rovers?

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Seaman_Richie

They're still alive and well. One of them is having some dust collection issues, but other than that, they both seem to be able to still move a little. I think Opportunity has one wheel that doesn't work, so it has to drive backwards. Other than that and the dust though, all seems well.

One last thing. You say that we've come a long way as a species. Where might we have been had we kept going after the first moon shot? We stagnated because of the Cold War, or so history tells us anyway. Where might we have been now if we had kept up with that kind of tenacity I wonder? It could have been humans doing these experiments instead of some robot. Just my 6 pence.

TheBorg

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
The title of this thread has been vindicated:

www.space.com...

Proof! Water Ice Found on Mars
By Clara Moskowitz
Staff Writer
posted: 20 June 2008
2:55 p.m. ET

Scientists said today they have "found proof" of water ice on Mars away from the polar ice caps, a discovery made by NASA's Phoenix Mars Lander.

The finding is a crucial first step toward learning whether the ground on Mars is hospitable, because all life as we know it requires water. Now scientists can get on with the business of studying the chemistry of Mars dirt in more detail.

When the probe took photos of a ditch it had dug four days before, scientists noticed that about eight small crumbs of a bright material had disappeared. They concluded those crumbs had been water ice buried under a thin layer of dirt that vaporized when Phoenix exposed them to the air.

"It's with great pride and a lot of joy I announce today we have found proof that this hard material really is water ice and not some other substance," Phoenix principal investigator Peter Smith of the University of Arizona, Tucson said at a briefing Friday.

The finding had been discussed tentatively yesterday, but in a press conference today, researchers left no doubts.

Phoenix's robotic arm first revealed the crumbs about 5 cm deep in the trench called "Dodo-Goldilocks" on June 15. By June 19, they had vanished. If the crumbs had been salt, they wouldn't have disappeared, scientists said, and if the ice had been made of carbon dioxide, they wouldn't have vaporized.

"What this tells us is we found what we're looking for," said Mark Lemmon, a Phoenix co-investigator from Texas A&M University. "This tells us that we've got water ice within reach of the [robotic] arms, which means that we can continue the investigation."

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
They're still speculating.

It probably is ice, but until they actually analyze water in the on-board lab, I won't be convinced.

I don't know what the deal is.

They should be able to say that this is ice because we confirmed that it is made of two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom and not by ruling out salt and CO2 based on circumstantial evidence.

On earth that might fly, but on another planet, we just don't know what we might find.

Remember the canals on the surface of Mars that everyone believed were real, because, well, what else could they be?

<< 2  3  4   >>

join