It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Ice' found underneath Mars lander

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by skyshow

Some discussions of the origin of water on Earth.

en.wikipedia.org...

/4dt8gu

/63sjrh (an academic paper)

/3px37u

[edit on 2008/6/1 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by skyshow
Interesting idea. I have never heard of this one before. Is it possible for such an event to have happened in our distant past? I mean it would seem that the two planets would have had to have been so close to one another in order for water to relocate from one to the other, that the gravitational pull would have caused a massive colision of sorts. Also, if that did happen, then it begs the question regarding the origin of Mars, and if it was actually the great usurper, or Niberu? What about the astroid belt? So many unanswered questions, but plenty of ideas...

I'll turn off the sarcasm for a minute. I really don't know if it's possible. It would take things that I don't have access to, in order to find out. One thing we do know is that there is currently a point where Mars comes closer to Earth in their respective orbits. But that isn't even remotely 'evidence'. The orbits are pretty secure in the gravitational field of the sun. Maybe it is possible to get close enough for a transfer without causing a planetary collision due to the overwhelming gravity of the sun and the centrifugal force of a large body in motion. But, as you say, many ideas and not so many answers.

Crazy theory about the asteroid belt? It was a planet that got blown up in a war along time ago.

Edit: Sentence structure.

[edit on 1-6-2008 by General Izer]

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover

...OK where are the little green men?

No green men but there are nude little men mooning the Phoenix 3D camera. Odd considering that it's pretty cold there.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   
see here on earth we have cheap colourd camras witch normaly helps detemind if wot where looking at is infact ice, because its normaly white or black...

but because nasa need to change colours with the blue gray sky on mars into a more reddy all over look thay put a 1940s black & white camra on bored the multimillion doller lander

a mobil/cell phone takes better images than that thing!!! come on nasa... Tut Tut

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
If it has not been said on this thread yet, consider this:

A planet's core stops rotating, because the planet was so small the heat escapes the core and the core solidifies. Mars, once a planet like Earth, freezes indefinently.

Over time, the planets oceans turn to solid ice, from the surface to the bottom. Wind does not cease, as the planet still rotates.. so loose soil from all over the planet is carried on the wind..

If the oceans froze over, over millions or billions of ears a layer of soil will have covered the entire planet. Theoretically then the planet could be mostly solid water, right, just covered with dirt. And it wouldn't need to be complete ice, it could be water underneath and it could support life.

Who knows.. I wish we would just find a crew of people who wouldn't mind dieing to go to Mars and ship them up there.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

I ahve to agree with you Grady, this thread title is misleading, I clicked in thinking there was some real breaking news that I haven't read yet, I am on top of the mars missions, I read daily anything new about them, and I see this thread title, get all worked up, click in, and man, what a freakin dissapointment. I aleady read all this on another site. Only it wasn't titled 'ice found on Mars'. Cause they haven't found ice on Mars yet. I want to see a title that says Ice found on Mars, and when I read it, it is an exciting article about the mind blowing FACT that water/ice, is in fact on Mars.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet

I ahve to agree with you Grady, this thread title is misleading, I clicked in thinking there was some real breaking news that I haven't read yet, I am on top of the mars missions, I read daily anything new about them, and I see this thread title, get all worked up, click in, and man, what a freakin dissapointment. I aleady read all this on another site. Only it wasn't titled 'ice found on Mars'. Cause they haven't found ice on Mars yet. I want to see a title that says Ice found on Mars, and when I read it, it is an exciting article about the mind blowing FACT that water/ice, is in fact on Mars.

This is plenty enough evidence for me to note a great thread and post.

I don't feel mislead at all.

Thanks for the post Grover!!!

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 12:00 AM
link   
WOW~

I joined this site a while back because I'd seen some really great conversations go on, but I really can't get over the all too common schoolgirl bickering that goes on here. People- for you to take anything on here personally as an attack is asinine. If someone feels the need to call out a name or attack without being provoked, they have nothing on you- they've only sealed their idiotic attitude in writing for everyone to witness and store away as another donkey to ignore, so just GET OVER IT and move on....

To all the people unwilling to even read into the mission and find out what they are REALLY doing there, this announcement shouldn't hold any surprise as this is what they had expected. We have MILLIONS of dollars worth of HIGHLY sensitive equipment orbiting mars, and they already know where all the surface ice is.

This lander has a 'thermal sniffer' which will heat up soil samples from different depths and 'cook' it while taking measurements of the gases emitted at different temperatures. With known controls from here on earth, they can predict what chemical compunds are in the soil from whatever combinations of gases are sniffed while it heats up.

The area they chose had a safe landing zone free of large boulders and rocks, and managed to land the craft within 10 miles of their target, which is actually pretty darn close to a cosmic bulls-eye, so they have to have a large area to shoot for.

Launched in August 2007, Phoenix is a stationary lander equipped with a trench-digging robotic arm to bite into the martian surface and scoop up samples of nearby soil and water ice. The probe's top-mounted suite of ovens and wet chemistry instruments are designed to help determine whether its arctic plain landing site - a region similar in latitude to central Greenland or northern Alaska on Earth - could have once proven habitable for primitive life.

"We're looking for all the ingredients for life," Phoenix deputy principle investigator Deborah Bass of JPL told SPACE.com.

Phoenix also includes a martian atmosphere-monitoring station designed to provide daily weather updates during the probe's planned three-month mission. Engineers at JPL will oversee the spacecraft's initial Mars descent and landing before transferring operations to a control center at the University of Arizona, Tucson, for the remainder of the $420 million mission.

"This is an area of Mars that I have spent my career studying and I cannot wait to see those first images," Bass said. "To see that ice, what that frozen tundra is going to look like...whatever we see will be amazing because no one's seen it before."

www.space.com

We are not wasting money here people- this is a valid attempt to truly 'dig up' life on another planet. If they can verify that there is any kind of organic material in that ice, we will instantly be assured that life is possible and IS on other planets.

Any non-believers: May be best to go hide in a cave if you don't want to hear the truth~ !

P.S.- $420 Million Dollars is CHUMP CHANGE. Learn about our national economics and you'll see what a pathetic statement that this mission's expensive really is. Then you also might see where our tax money is TRULY misdirected.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by BRITWARRIOR

Color pictures are won the way. I'm not sure when they will be released.

The final proof that the material is ice could take weeks, but close-up color images that were being taken Saturday could improve the researchers' confidence level, said Horst Uwe Keller, the scientist in charge of the camera on the robotic arm. The initial image released Saturday was in black and white.

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Don't you know, that is the thing to do here at ATS. What you do is post completely wrong titles for threads. Either you post complete lies or speculation, or you just put a question mark behind it to justify the blatant lie or speculation.

If you go to the "conspiracy master" forums you can find, oh lets say 20-30 examples.

Here's one I made up to fit the trend.

"Dead Alien Body found on mars?"

In reality it's a rock.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by rocksarerocks
Don't you know, that is the thing to do here at ATS. What you do is post completely wrong titles for threads.

For the last BLOODY time... I posted the title as I originally came across it on:

www.unexplained-mysteries.com...

Its link was to:

www.sciencedaily.com...

And after I read the article I felt that the first title was as accurate.

If I was wrong so be it... but I posted what I thought was an honest title.

I have stated this several times now and I am getting sick and tired of having to defend myself over it.

[edit on 2-6-2008 by grover]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
When surfing through NASA's webpage I read that Buzz Lightning is on the STS-124 mission as a mascot for the plumbing crew. But what grabbed my attention was the bigfoot image from Mars.

Check it out www.nasa.org

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by The time lord
Why did they not just land on the north pole where there is this big target of White stuff that can not be missed rather than leaving it to chance?
Sounds a bit silly to me and they are milking the budget for more flights.

I keep wondering the samething. And how about color photos and video and sound. NASA spends billions of our tax dollars and this is what we get black and white photos? Maybe NASA needs to get some younger people in there and get with the program.

I just can't understand how they can spend so much money and we are shown black and white photos WTF. I can see using black and white photos for artistic point of view but not this.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Dang... I'd be more impressed with a pepperoni pizza....

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by UScitizen

Color photographs will be taken and are probably being taken as I write.

Read this.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Why did they not just land on the north pole where there is this big target of White stuff that can not be missed rather than leaving it to chance?

becuase the surface ice is almost entirely CO2 ice. They really want water ice which tends to be under the surface layer.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   

The ice at the poles it well known to be over 90% CO2 ice, phoenix is searching for the remnants of a large ocean in the northern polar region that is theorized to have frozen solid around 3 billion years ago and everything above ground level then sublimated into space leaving only a super frozen permafrost layer that could be over a hundred meters thick and which may lie less than a foot under the surface. This is all theory mind you, but the evidence gathered over the last 10 years points to the theory being at least mostly correct.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Fuknhippie

Thanks for that, you seem to be quite up-to-date on the matter.

Now combining this with General Izer's wacky theory a few pages back seems to make sense.

"In a galaxy not so far away, a red planet once vibrant with life and water lost its atmosphere to war. All life was destroyed, the oceans evaporated into space and what was left, froze. The evaporated water moved right into the orbit of another young planet and started to rain down to the beginnings of an interesting species ..."

General Izer, lets talk about this theory some more shall we?

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
What a bunch of grumpy butts. I am sure we will have all the answers that NASA wants us to have soon. We won't find aliens or footprints, but mabye we will get Mars brand bottled water soon.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Fuknhippie

Thank you.

I have read that in my research for this thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join