It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large fire burning at Universal Studios in LA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Large fire burning at Universal Studios in LA

news.yahoo.com

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A large fire is burning on a lot at Universal Studios, site of television and movie production, the Los Angeles city fire department said.

There were no immediate reports of injuries but scores of firefighters and helicopters were battling the blaze.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
There are early reports that the film vault could be in jeopardy and that the King Kong exhibit is heavily damaged.

News is still coming in.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1-6-2008 by hsur2112]

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Here's the only photo I can find so far:

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
A little more info:

Los Angeles County fire Inspector Daryl Jacobs said at least one building had burned and as many as three blocks of movie facades were destroyed. Though the fire was contained, it was still raging, Jacobs said.

The blaze broke out just before dawn on a sound stage, fire Capt. Frank Reynoso said. A thick column of smoke rose thousands of feet into the air as firefighting helicopters swept in to drop water.

Filming might have been going on at the time the fire broke out and there was at least one explosion, Reynoso said.

source

Still no reports of injuries, this could have been much worse. There is so much history there.

Rush

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by hsur2112

There are early reports that the film vault could be in jeopardy

this actualy fits in with a conversation i was haveing with a freind a couple weeks ago. we were talking about "piracy" of music movies ect. one thing that came up was that we have lost a lot of old movies in things like "vault fires" and general breaking down of the films.

now if they did not allow coppyrights to last more than a couple years there would be copies of copies all over the place so a "vault fire" would not be an issue as there would always be someone with a copy or two.

we see the same things with music, i have searched years for some old songs, in stores and on the web, yet the industy is always crying the blues about lost revine from pirateing, meanwhile THEY don't let people have access to stuff esp at a reasonable cost. what would have happened for example had walt disny's valt got detroyed years ago, how many clasic films would have been lost that they are now makeing a fourtune on rereleasing?

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
What I don't understand is why they dont just hit it hard with helicopters and put it out? With the amount of $ they generate, they could helicopter in a dome and smother it, Lol, really it is just mind blowing to think about all of the history and memorabilia.
Hope that the loss is minimal.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I just heard on the news that the house from "Psycho" was damaged.

As far as the videos, between 40,000 - 50,000 were destroyed or damged, however, there are duplicates for all.

I don't know about the helicopters, I know they had one. For awhile there was so much smoke, maybe that had something to do with it.

Rush

new topics

top topics

join