It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Discovery loses chunks of foam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Discovery loses chunks of foam

news.ninemsn.com.au

Five thin pieces of insulating foam broke off the external fuel tank during the launch of the shuttle Discovery, but they are not believed to have damaged the shuttle.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I didn't see this posted anywhere else so i thought i would post it.

Yet again another shuttle has bits fall off it. I really think NASA should retire these old beasts.

discuss

news.ninemsn.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
It's not coming off the shuttle, it's coming off the external fuel tank. NASA has already said that it appears to have come off at a time of the flight when there was no way that it could have affected the orbiter.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
It's not coming off the shuttle, it's coming off the external fuel tank. NASA has already said that it appears to have come off at a time of the flight when there was no way that it could have affected the orbiter.

Yes, luckily it didn't effect the orbiter in any way this time.

But come on space travel is dangerous enough as it is without the transport being the biggest threat.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Well unfortunately we can't just whip up a new system overnight. And the shuttle is STILL the only thing that can get large pieces of the ISS up there to install. The module they are carrying up there is WAY too big to put on anything else that would get it to the station.

top topics

join