It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do You really want to Survive a Situation X?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Considering there are so many possibilities for a situation X, some are more survivable than others, and some we can be better prepared for, but for this case, Iam speaking the absolute worst case scenario you can imagine.

Be it nuclear, EMP, Asteroid impact, Alien invasion, or full out global war...
DO YOU REALLY WANT TO SURVIVE?

No matter how prepared you are, stocked with provisions, and ammo, in your own little bug out place..what about what you are going to encounter outside of that?

People will die. And they aren't going to be nicely buried in the local cemetery.
They will be everywhere, in the streets and countryside.
They will be people you know. Perhaps friends and family.
CAN YOU HANDLE THAT?
Is it worth surviving if it is your family that perishes, and you are the one left?
There will be the constant threat of those without to get what you have an abundance of.
How long can you hold them off?
How well can you stay quiet for hours, days, weeks, so as to remain undetected?
Do you really want to?
How long could you hold out, I mean really hold out..NO EGO TRIPS HERE..before you wish you had not survived....
Think long and hard about that.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I want my kids to survive. The rest (including me) are a means to that end.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 07:55 AM
link   
There are people that believe any form of living (no matter how bad) is better than not living. I surely am not one of them. Most of the survivalists imagine they will move to some isolated area and be surrounded by nature, living a wholesome life far away from the human masses, etc.... They do not typically plan to survive in the overpopulated city environments.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Yes I want to survive or at least try too. Zombie apocalypse or not!!

However some things are worse than death such as a disease outbreak that kills your kids and basically everyone you have ever loved or known. It would be hard to get over this and do what you need to do to survive.

[edit on 1-6-2008 by LDragonFire]

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Keep positive Access dude.
Grim times means you've gotta overcome the sht and heartache.
Look at the terrible SitXs in the history books and civilisation still pulls through in the end. If it doesn't they'll be bands of people still hanging on here and there making ends meet

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   
An interesting question, with many variables to consider......

To one specific threat.....nuclear attack, being at ground zero would be 'the easy way out', so to speak.

Considering the suffering that would be inevitable if one were just far enough away to survive the explosion, but be in the 'fallout' range.....possibly even many miles from the event but 'downwind'.......?

I've considered this before......(we even had a disscussion on the subject in college class years ago, as we live in an area that is between 2 or 3 good potential military targets) ...My children are grown, I'm too old to do much migrating, so ......

I think if I had enough warning of the event, I'd just head for ground zero and get a good seat to watch the 'fireworks'.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Interesting question. Yes, of course I want myself and mine to survive a SitX. If we are racked with pain and suffering, one can always opt to end their own suffering, so why choose in advance to lay down without the good fight? I don't know if I believe in fate or destiny, but it seems possible some prep folks might have a "mission" to help or augment others' survival.

EEEK! thunder ...... later!

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by WatchRider

Keep positive Access dude.

That would be Access CHICK
thanks..

It's not really a matter of being positive or negative.
I agree with Survival for the sake of my children. However, god forbid if they were taken from me, I would not have the willpower to go on.
That is just me being a realist.

I would say this though, if it were a disaster that was created by man or alien, and not of the natural sort...
I'd make damn sure I knew who was responsible and go all vigilante.
Might as well go out in a blaze of glory.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I am a survivalist.

Would losing my children affect me? Yes. Would I let it affect me to the point that I cannot go on? No.

Why?

Because I do not know what reason there may be that I survived and my children didn't. There might be something I need to do later on.

Besides, self preservation is a funny thing. You can speculate all you want right now and say what you want right now... but gaurantee it changes when your life is in danger.

VV

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I refuse to go down without a fight..not like the people that just accept ..the time and place of my death will be of my choosing as far as possible..

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I, much like Shuck would prefer not to go down without a fight or at least and attempt to survive Sit X. Though that said I would rather die outright in some Sit X possibilities.

Zombies - I would fight and try to live as long as I could

Virus - I would try to live as long as I could provided the Virus could be avoided but if it couldn't then I would choose quick death.

Nuclear Extermination - I'd rather die in the blast then survive unless I was far enough away from most of the Fall out and the anarchy that is likely to follow with the survivers.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
If the world is going to end
Il be sitting out on the beach , in my lawn chair with a nice frosty beer and watch that nuclear bomb, asteroid, alien ship etc... destroy the earth ...
I would rather die than try to survive a horrfic even which would probably just make me want to kill myself anyways

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
The situation X would be horrible beyond horrible for years, but think long term. If you could survive to repopulate your children might have a better world with more freedom and resources than what we have. ... Or it could take a thousand years to get to that point.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by smokingmonkey

I think thats the plan...for humankind to make the biggest mistake...and hopefully if there is enough left move forward to something very different!!

I hope so anyway!!

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by shuck

And hopefully the decent ones thats survive realise the mistake...and nurture and teach their children to nurture this planet..and each other..

The human consciousness and intelligence has got this far ..there must be a reason for it to carry on...

So as a survivalist...thats the reason for me!!

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I think a lot would depend on which Situation X happens.

If its going to be the big Asteroid hitting Earth one, then I am off down the pub for a 'last round'.

If its the virus one, then I will be at 'the front' anyway as I am a nurse, and viruses are quite an interest of mine

As for dead everywhere, I have no problem with that as I deal with the deceased on an all too regular basis. The same goes for horrific injuries/wounds as well, I work in Trauma & Orthopaedics.

As for other types of situation X, i think I shall be okay. Both my wife and I are nurses and I am ex-Royal Navy, she is ex-army (no children), she is a respiratory nurse. We have quite an extensive home medical/minor surgery kit. We live in a rural community on an Island already with lots of family and friends around.

I just hope it doesnt happen within the next 10 years as I plan to move/retire early, abroad to a small holding in the mountains of a warm european country that we holiday to on a regular basis.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Wotan

I worked as a nurse lol..viruses are fascinating...

I wouldn't want one like !!lol

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I will go until I die. No matter what I am faced with, I will never give up, never quit, never surrender.

This life is temporary anyway, and it will end, when it does I will move to the next.

Me and every other human I have ever met will die. In case of some kind of sit x, they might all die at once. As long as I don't die I won't give up.

I'm not saying I won't cry, or want to be dead, but I won't give up till I bleed out or starve to death ect....

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
This is something ive been thinking about recently, quite in depth...

whether we go through some huge natural disaster or a nwo takeover plan, i think i would not like to be around for the aftermath....

A natural disaster that wipes, lets say, 80% of the population... and ends life as we know it..... no i wouldnt want to stick around for that, i could not mentally and physically cope with it..

Some kind of new world order, war, or any other government plans to take over the world and cause huge loss of life.... i wouldnt want to stick around for that either, if you survive, you become their slaves and property..

And if my family didnt survive, i would not go on without them under any circumstances..

Now if there was an alien invasion, and they came to take over the planet for our own good, id want to live that out..... and if there was some kind of global awakening and we all revert back to living in nature, no such thing as time, or money, some sort of utopia... then id definitely want to be around for that!...

All in all, i do have some supplies of food put away, and do plan to make a survival kit.....but my survival kit will contain something to end it all if need be.... i dont want to suffer and endure loss of everything that i love, i dont want to see the people turn into animals and killing each other for scraps of food...

And if im completely honest, lets assume none of these sit-x happens, would i want to spend another 50 years living just as we are today?? with the world as it is?? no way..... so even though i fear what might happen, the world needs to change one way or the other..

I am living my life as much as i can now, i dont make plans or think much past 2012, and if we get to that point and nothing has happened then thats fine, but a little part of me has already accepted that these may be my last years, and that we might actually be living the last bit of normality right now, seems things are heading downhill quite rapidly....

Morbid as this all sounds, im actually a very positive happy person!

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
DO YOU REALLY WANT TO SURVIVE?

Of course not, I just use it as a pick-up line to win chicks. It worked! I'm married and have a son now. w00t!

On a serious note, YES! Of course I want to survive. Why wouldn't I? Everything in human history, ever ancestor of mine, every event, every ancient civilization that rose and fell, to the primates who first chose to climb out of the trees and shake sticks at each other... all of these things culminated in Me, because of our three most basic driving instincts:

• Survive
  • Eat (to Survive)
  • Mate (to ensure species Survival)

I'm a bit surprised at the question, really. Had it come from someone besides you, I'd consider it flamebait, because it's one of those questions we see here about once every few weeks, with someone taunting the Survivalist crowd with a question like "why bother preparing anyway? It'll either be hell or we're all gonna die anyway." It's kind of like how one can reliable measure the passage of weeks by the posting of a new "ATS is a CoIntel Operation" thread. However, I know you're not like that, you're probably just honestly curious as to what the deal is.

It's simple. I was designed to want to Survive. And as a dedicated husband and father, I would be remiss in my duty as both if I didn't do everything in my power to ensure the survival of my wife and child. Short of some enormous requirement of self-sacrifice, like having to choose between saving them from (fill in the blank) or stopping the bomb that will blow up the world, my choice to fight for their continued existence will always be an obvious one to me.

In short, it has never occurred to me, since the day I met my wife, that I might not want her, myself, or our son to survive. Even if the world we wake up to tomorrow is not nearly as pleasant or luxurious as the one we experience today, my ancestors faced far, far worse conditions than anything I'll ever know, and, all ego aside, if I'm any ounce of a man, I'll face them with courage and determination.

• new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join