It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

80's Sci Fi flicks - Image of reality to come?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Hi all,

was recently watching some 80's sci fi movies (total recall, robocop, blade runner, running man) and ie noticed that these movies now, can be related to toadys times and what may ahead. Look at robocop, massive corporate controlled media, police, massive crimes rates and so on. Ive been told this had some thing to do with the reagan era and what it created but the imagery is really peculiar. Running man, they openly lie to the public and edit the filsm to get the response they want...total recall - the word terrorist and extremist used in a context identical to today (replace mars with today)...and ofcourse blade runner....over populated...small area...NWO?? my opinion...

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by q_ball

Don't forget the giant robots who come to Earth to save us from Unicron (Transformers: The Movie was supposedly set in 2005), the Pan-Am shuttles to our orbiting space habitat, the thriving Lunar colony, and commercially-available self-aware computers (all available in 2001, of course), flying cars powered by fusion reactors (Back to the Future), and the gigantic domed cities where life is paradise, but nobody lives past 30 (Logan's Run).

My point being that, since science fiction is, by its very nature, predicting the future in *some* way, you're going to find glimpses of today in just about every old science fiction film, particularly if you're looking at broad enough categories of similarity. The ones that you found are fairly common to any dystopian science fiction, regardless of when it was written/produced (1984 being a literally classic case). The ones I mentioned range from the absurd (Transformers, BttF), through serious futurism (2001), to the dystopian (Logan's Run). I don't think the S-F movies of the 80's were 'prophetic' so much as they were 'numerous'.

join