It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rationale for an EBE controlled moon-base

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   
After visiting ATS for 7 years now I decided to finally register an account to discuss the possible rationale for an extraterrestrial moon-base on the dark side of the moon.

Before delving into the topic perhaps it'd be worthwhile to state some information about myself. I've been researching the subject of UFOs and related phenomena for about 10 years now. I was drawn to the topic and inspired by the author Jacques Vallee to approach the subject from a scientific standpoint. I've had a couple of close encounters (perhaps I will post about these in the future) and have found myself, as countless others have, drawn with a near unnatural fascination to the subject.

I always find myself questioning the motivation of extraterrestrials to take the actions we credit them with taking. For the purposes of this post I will examine a pro and a con of constructing such a base on the dark side of the moon.

Obviously no incontrovertible evidence has ever surfaced of such a base, but speculation on its existence has been around for a very long time; there remains a significantly high number of supporters for the theory and it seems to attract more and more every day. If we ignore the arguments about possible evidence of the base we can examine why an intelligent life form not of this planet would find the moon (particularly the dark side) an ideal place for a base.

First let's examine a possible reason why the dark side of the moon might be an ideal location for a base. According to Wikipedia the first practically functioning telescope was invented in 1608 (the telescope as created by Galileo Galilei would not have been able to see structures on the surface of the moon). If a base was constructed after 1608 it's reasonable to assume that an extraterrestrial intelligence might be aware that we would soon be turning our gaze to the face of the moon visible from Earth, and reasoned that their activities might be better executed out of the eyes of us humans. This assumes that the EBEs (read: Extraterrestrial Biological Entities, for those unaware) would have had some knowledge of the developments on Earth and could perhaps predict to some degree the advances in technology we would later make. This hypothesis revolves around the notion that the EBEs would want to hide from us as much as possible.

Now let's take a look at an argument against choosing the dark side of the moon to build a base. The dark side of the moon is the most prone to impact from meteoroids and comets. The probability that a base on the dark side of the moon would eventually be struck by such objects, or it's operations directly affected by the impact of such objects is much higher than if it were located on the side facing the Earth.

There could be vast mineral deposits on the dark side of the moon which could be mined, or there could be a very nice underground moon-resort there (if you'll forgive the humor), but to speculate that the location has to do with any of these possibilities is to speculate idly. I've tried to stick to the only agreeable pros and cons of the location for such a base -- if it exists.

I believe that with the many privately funded endeavors to send spacecraft to the moon we can't be kept in the dark (no pun intended) on this issue for too much longer. Sooner or later someone will find definitive evidence of either the presence of a base or its absence. While I am not personally that interested in whether or not a base on the moon exists I hope that this will get more people to start thinking about why an intelligence not of this Earth might do the things we believe them to do/have done. If we can manage even the slightest glimpse of their motivation we're one step closer on the path to understanding a species not of this Earth, and perhaps one step closer to the stars ourselves.

There are things which I have intentionally neglected from this post, and I suspect there are many things I have not thought of that merit inclusion.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Interesting idea, and thanks for phrasing it in a way that invites discussion. I think sometimes we might get a tweak hung up on evidenciary proceedures, particularly in these areas where solid evidence can be produces. You invite us to speculate.

Seems to me like the moon would make a fine observation post, however given the technology to make a base, it seems like a subterranean one might be the way to go, with little need to make it on the dark side of the moon. Possibly to leave the surface undetected from Earth.

Seems like bases in the deep parts of our oceans would be a safer and more likely place. I've often wondered if EBE's perhaps are TBE's -- Terrestrial Biological Entities, and were here before us swarming little surface-dwellers. I'm sure that has been discussed here before -- I'm not claiming authorship -- but it sorta addresses some of the behaviors attributed to "them" IMO.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by argentus

I agree with you on all points here. While I don't believe that TBEs could account for all the activity observed in and around the planet it would explain a great deal of sightings and encounters. It's difficult not to go off on a tangent about TBEs here, but I'll control myself. Thanks for the reply! This thread is intended to stir up discussion and hopefully make some people "think outside of the box". So long as it's not stated as fact, what's wrong with a little speculation?

join